Busted faucet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Busted faucet

Busted faucet

Rocky Mountain RV and Marine here in ABQ has a very well equipped parts department. They should, since they do very well in the high end big-boy RV business. I have their telephone-book-thick catalog, so when I needed to replace my busted kitchen faucet I found it on page 543, $39.

We are in a freeze spell here and I neglected to re-winterize after Quartzsite. First, I asked the young counter guy if he could just sell me the high arc spout. My fresh water tanks were empty but enough water was in the lines and the high arc spout faucet nut cracked in half overnight and popped off.

He said no, don’t sell it separate, you’ll have to buy an entire new faucet. Damn, ok, write it up I says. So I’ll upgrade to the brushed nickel one. Meanwhile, I says, just let me snoop around your parts aisle, which I then did. So what did I find?

Four bucks. Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails
faucetring.jpg  
Old 02-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
You reminded me of a place from the past.
I bought an older trailer that needed a lot of unusual parts and Sally's came to the rescue.
I wish places like that still existed around here
Trailer shop closing after long run - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Busted faucet

Rocky Mountain RV and Marine here in ABQ has a very well equipped parts department. They should, since they do very well in the high end big-boy RV business. I have their telephone-book-thick catalog, so when I needed to replace my busted kitchen faucet I found it on page 543, $39.

We are in a freeze spell here and I neglected to re-winterize after Quartzsite. First, I asked the young counter guy if he could just sell me the high arc spout. My fresh water tanks were empty but enough water was in the lines and the high arc spout faucet nut cracked in half overnight and popped off.

He said no, don’t sell it separate, you’ll have to buy an entire new faucet. Damn, ok, write it up I says. So I’ll upgrade to the brushed nickel one. Meanwhile, I says, just let me snoop around your parts aisle, which I then did. So what did I find?

Four bucks. Thank you very much.
Hi Myron,
Glad to see you found a fix and just 4 bucks!
How was your trip out west ? hope you had a good time.
Tin.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Busted faucet

We are in a freeze spell here and I neglected to re-winterize after Quartzsite. .
Ditto

Actually I didn't forget but in the race against the weather home somewhere along the line I lost the battle. I was more focused on staying on the road than watching the steady drop to below freezing weather. I thought about draining the system in a restaurant parking lot but it was already probably too late.

I've used some plastic cement on mine, just to make it usable in the short term. I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade to a nicer single lever faucet.

But, if I don't, I know the part's available and yah, I'd hate to have to buy the whole assembly instead of the one low cost part.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0004_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have never used my shower in any of my Escapes and the hose had been stored inside, unused, in a cabinet until it is ever needed. Why not remove such to eliminate the possibility of a cracked hose during a quick freeze?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #6

Shure is a pretty countertop you got there, Ron. Kinda reminds me of the mining town at Castle Rock.
Attached Thumbnails
CastleRock.jpg  
Old 02-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #7

2" x 30" x 7' Rock Maple woodwork bench. Gets a little grubby from mechanical stuff but then, when the urge strikes me, I clear it off, sand and oil and it looks great again. From the look of it I haven't had the urge lately.

Ron
Old 02-25-2018, 07:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Ron I think we have the same workshop lol ��
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #9

OK -- have another question: Before I get out my Dremel cutter and cut this broke plastic handle off so I can replace with a metal one, anyone have a better idea? I find trying to twist it off the shaft is close to impossibly un-doable. Note abrasions on shaft from big pliers.
Attached Thumbnails
valve1.jpg  
Old 03-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Handle

How about some penetrating fluid and a heat gun a couple hours later and then plier?
Iowa Dave
Old 03-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
OK -- have another question: Before I get out my Dremel cutter and cut this broke plastic handle off so I can replace with a metal one, anyone have a better idea? I find trying to twist it off the shaft is close to impossibly un-doable. Note abrasions on shaft from big pliers.
Is it already off the waste valve shaft? I’m pretty sure you can buy a handle/tube combination and just replace both pieces as an assembly.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Is it already off the waste valve shaft? I’m pretty sure you can buy a handle/tube combination and just replace both pieces as an assembly.
True, but don't want to do that. Already bought a screw-on replacement metal handle.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #13

If the new handle has threads and I'd done what you've done already I'd probably do as Dave suggested. Or, I'd hack off as much of the plastic as I could and use a propane torch to melt off the remaining plastic and also heat up the metal furell . When it cools it'd probably unscrew.

Good luck.

Ron
Old 03-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #14

Applying heat was the right move. zz

It took only 5 seconds of MAP gas to free up the plastic handle. It sloughed off its metal sleeve, which then in turn was easily unscrewed from the shaft. The new metal handle screws on. A dab of Loctite makes sure it isn't going anywhere.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #15

Buy a whole new one. That ain't our style.

Ron