Buying a Ford F-150 - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
[QUOTE=Ron in BC;259447]I suppose that if I'd have known before July 4th that Costco membership would have gotten the $1,000 off we'd have gotten one. But no worries, there were so many other costs that came off the table I don't think we were really $1,000 down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The gist of the profit margin was then, if you can get the vehicle, equipped the way you wanted, with just paying the base price, you were doing good. In other words the options were free..../QUOTE]

Pretty much the case. As I said, all I had to do is sit back, shut up and let the negotiator do her thing.

Ron
Very excited for you Ron and your new purchase ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #122

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The end of the long wait is within sight. I'm going to be out of the country until month's end and the new truck will be waiting for me when I get back. Really looking forward to it. It has so many things with it that were items that I added to my Ranger.

So, since I've traded the Ranger in, time to get it back to factory stock. I removed a few items. CB radio and antenna, Weboost phone amplifier and antenna, GPS, brake controller, backup camera and dual monitor, dual dash camera hard mounts, all the wiring associated with tug to trailer power and trailer back up camera and the 7 pin connector.

Then emptied all the misc. stuff like emergency shovel, air compressor, first aid kit and my outrageously priced 29 dollar emergency tire plug kit. Well, when you're on the Top of the World hwy. with a flat and a spare not suitable for towing it seems worth it.

All that stuff is sitting on top of my Armor Flex hard folding box cover. 70 bucks to tighten a few clamps. No thanks, I think that I can manage to install it myself. Really glad not going to have a canopy any more. I've always had a love-hate thing with them.

Then I re-installed the two jump seats that I removed when I bought the Ranger. I like the SuperCab not for the extra seating but for the dry secure storage.

Then I dug out the original Continental, not over 50 mph, not for towing, not the same size spare tire. That, on a vehicle sold with the tow package. I had bought a steel rim and installed a Goodyear Wrangler the same as the other wheels. I didn't want to have to limp along looking for a tire store if I had tire damage while on the road.

Really looking forward to the new truck. The instruction manual, not so much.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0001rotated_resize.jpg   IMGP0004_resize.JPG   IMGP0002.jpg   IMGP0005rotated.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #123

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
It's been a while since this was in the thread but it never got said. When ordering a vehicle or even just buying one off the lot new, if there is a full sized spare option you can almost always specify that it come on a matching wheel. If done while ordering it is often a reasonably cheap option but not always. Some times it is cheaper to get the minimal tire/wheel combination and then get your own 4+1 wheels and tires. When buying off the lot, if they have another similar vehicle with cheap wheels they may be willing to swap with you and give you credit for your better combination. Then you could apply the credit toward an upgrade.

There are so many ins and outs to buying a new vehicle that nobody gets it entirely right. What you really need is a relative in the business who will actually try to get you the best possible solution.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #124

Trailer: Tent - Looking to Upgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Ron, we had a Ram with their fold out mirrors, and they were a PITA, big blind spots, too small. Then, we went to the F150 with extra payload/towing packages which included the manual tow mirrors. Best rear view I have ever had. Top 2/3 is a bog flat mirror and the bottom is curved mirror, same on drivers and passengers side. Real easy to see vehicles coming up on the right side few if any blind spots. I am able to see the trailer tires in both mirrors. Good value for money. I have yet to extend them.
I also checked out your Escape modification website. Wow!
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #125

Ron noticed you had a CB in Ranger . Have one too. Are you going to install in new truck ? Can you share what CB and antenna you have ? Pat
Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #126

I have a couple of old Cobra's and 3 different types of antennas. I've had CB's since the pedal to the metal days and for quite a while stopped using them on road trips. Then a few years ago I installed one again.

I was surprised at the silence. Seems hardly anyone is using them. I talked to one Canadian trucker who seemed to indicate that their trucks were all using some sort of SSB.

So, bottom line, I'm not sure if it's worth installing in the new truck. What's your recent experience with them. Anyone got their ears on in your part of the woods?

10-4 Good Buddy

Ron
Old 11-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #127

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have a couple of old Cobra's and 3 different types of antennas. I've had CB's since the pedal to the metal days and for quite a while stopped using them on road trips. Then a few years ago I installed one again.

I was surprised at the silence. Seems hardly anyone is using them. I talked to one Canadian trucker who seemed to indicate that their trucks were all using some sort of SSB.

So, bottom line, I'm not sure if it's worth installing in the new truck. What's your recent experience with them. Anyone got their ears on in your part of the woods?

10-4 Good Buddy

Ron

Breaker, Breaker! I stopped using a CB about 15 ago. FRS is a much better way to go, IMO. I'm surprised people other than truckers still use them.

Come on!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Breaker, Breaker! I stopped using a CB about 15 ago. FRS is a much better way to go, IMO. I'm surprised people other than truckers still use them.

Come on!
Roger that. I'm not sure even the truckers are using them all that much. I've driven long stretches of roads like I-5 with almost complete silence. Maybe they have a secret channel that I don't know about.

I agree with using FRS. I have several pair that are so-so for range but my newest ones, Uniden, are amazing by comparison. We use them with the trailer, no yelling or wildly waving arms and for other travelling where we don't have cell phones that work in the country we're in.

Over, but not out.

Ron
Old 11-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #129

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We use FRS on the road with our friends. Then, when fishing, we are able to remain in contact with our spouses wherever they are.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #130

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
I got FRS for a family trip to the coast a few years ago. The grand kids thought they were great and it enabled us to coordinate fuel stops, potty breaks and meals.

We didn't have an RV then but now we use them to enable backing into a tight spot (I'm still not very good at it) without worrying about yelling, hand signs and such. My parking assistant doesn't seem to get the idea that if she can't see the mirrors I can't see her.

So far we have not used them to communicate with others but if the need arose it would be handy to have them then too. We keep them in a drawer in the trailer.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
My parking assistant doesn't seem to get the idea that if she can't see the mirrors I can't see her.
Your parking assistant must be related to my parking assistant.

For all the electronic stuff, including trailer assist, on the new truck, I'm betting using the FSRs will still be more useful backing into a spot.

We found another use for them on a cruise. While my wife was off looking for tourist junk, I mean souvenirs, I could lounge by the pool while she updated me on her progress. The range is so much better now then our older ones.

Ron
Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #132

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Geisby's
Hi Ron, we bought a base level Ford 150 last June and pull our 19' with ease. It is a very comfortable ride. We don't seem to need the extended mirrors as trailer is narrow. We don't seem to need the memory seats either - is easy to adjust when we switch drivers and I try to remember to move back when I get out so easier for my 6'1" husband...not always tho

Years ago we had the electric seats (Not memory) in a mini van..kids played with the switch when practicing driving and the drivers seat got stuck really close up to steering wheel - made for a extremely uncomfortable drive for me to the mechanic to repair.

good luck with decision - with so many options it isn't as easy decision as used to.
Anni
Geisby's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #133

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
I have a couple of old Cobra's and 3 different types of antennas. I've had CB's since the pedal to the metal days and for quite a while stopped using them on road trips. Then a few years ago I installed one again. I was surprised at the silence. Seems hardly anyone is using them. I talked to one Canadian trucker who seemed to indicate that their trucks were all using some sort of SSB. So, bottom line, I'm not sure if it's worth installing in the new truck. What's your recent experience with them. Anyone got their ears on in your part of the woods? 10-4 Good Buddy Ron
I've owned and used CB radios (mostly Midland & Cobra) since the early 1970's when you were required to have a license and the rules of broadcast etiquette were strictly followed for signing on and off with your license number (I still know it by heart). A year back or so, I was visiting with a career long-haul trucker and mentioned the growing CB silence out on the interstate. He said that his trucking company, and many others, have "outlawed" CBs for anyone hauling for them. Too many lawsuits accusing them of being driving distractions contributing to accidents. So the risk management office banned them in their trucks. The driver said his company provides him with a smart phone (also a distraction, no?), and the dispatcher relays directly to him any weather and road condition alerts, route changes, etc. While FRS radios are fine for coordinating group travel, I still would like to get the real-time feedback on traffic and road conditions ahead that one used to get over a CB. There have been several times in the last couple months I would have loved to have known which lanes ahead are blocked by a recent accident that didn't show up on a GPS road map app yet, if tow trucks were onsite yet, etc.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #134

Quote:

10-4 Good Buddy

Ron
Hi Ron . Same here with the Cobra's and different antennas. Well the last one is still in truck , Cobra and a fire stick antenna . Find pretty quiet on the road . Guess I just keep it in case . What's funny our favorite gas stop on the 5 in Santa Nella sells them and accessories still. They cater to truckers . So confused. Linda a few years ago got her ham license and she has radio's . One of her radio's is a base , or portable Yaesu that can go into truck easily and have a mag antenna to use . If I get to it could make her a setup with another anteanna too. Yup have had CB's for a long time too. Pat
Old 11-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Ron .
What's funny our favorite gas stop on the 5 in Santa Nella sells them and accessories still. They cater to truckers . So confused. Linda a few years ago got her ham license and she has radio's . One of her radio's is a base , or portable Yaesu
Hi Pat, glad that you posted. I was wondering how you and some of the other regular posters were doing in that fire ravaged area. What a horror show for those that lost everything and worse for those poor folks that were trapped in their cars trying to escape.

Yup, I was in a Pilot station yesterday and their "specials" flyer had lots of CB stuff. I'll probably put mine in the new truck but will only use the glass mount antenna to avoid drilling holes and stringing antenna cable.

Never did get my ham license. On the boat I used to listen to the Morse code tape every day. I gave up when my wife started calling out the words before I could. Now I get my revenge by calling out the answer to the final Jeporady question before she's figured it out.

Don't know if I'll re-install my WeBoost. I don't know how good the built-in hot spot is.

Ron
Old 11-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #136

Quote:
Hi Pat, glad that you posted. I was wondering how you and some of the other regular posters were doing in that fire ravaged area. What a horror show for those that lost everything and worse for those poor folks that were trapped in their cars trying to escape.

Yup, I was in a Pilot station yesterday and their "specials" flyer had lots of CB stuff. I'll probably put mine in the new truck but will only use the glass mount antenna to avoid drilling holes and stringing antenna cable.

Never did get my ham license. On the boat I used to listen to the Morse code tape every day. I gave up when my wife started calling out the words before I could. Now I get my revenge by calling out the answer to the final Jeporady question before she's figured it out.

Don't know if I'll re-install my WeBoost. I don't know how good the built-in hot spot is.

Ron
Yup just now washed truck and unhooked from trailer . Just got home Thursday and was greeted by a fire that had just started in the hills and saw another fire toward Camarillo as we ascended into our Valley . Do not understand why we saw no planes or helicopters for hours after we got home . The fire moved real fast toward Thousand Oaks and Bell canyon . Then they started flying . The winds were very bad . Also found out we had just the day before , coming home passed through Northern California and missed all that Chico and Paradise
Fires . Guess we had a angel on our shoulder . This is so sad . Where we were in Washington State and coming home along the Oregon Coast , rain just about every day , everything green . Could take long hot showers , well anything over a navy shower is great for us .
Then cross back California to the 5 and everything dry .
As for the CB's someone must be using them because they keep stocking them and selling them . Don't blame you for not wanting to drill in your new truck if you install again .
Anyway we are fine , just the air is pretty bad . But We feel so bad for the loss of lives and property .
We are lucky for sure . Pat
Old 11-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #137

Quote:
Yup just now washed truck and unhooked from trailer . Just got home Thursday and was greeted by a fire that had just started in the hills and saw another fire toward Camarillo as we ascended into our Valley . Do not understand why we saw no planes or helicopters for hours after we got home . The fire moved real fast toward Thousand Oaks and Bell canyon . Then they started flying . The winds were very bad . Also found out we had just the day before , coming home passed through Northern California and missed all that Chico and Paradise
Fires . Guess we had a angel on our shoulder . This is so sad . Where we were in Washington State and coming home along the Oregon Coast , rain just about every day , everything green . Could take long hot showers , well anything over a navy shower is great for us .
Then cross back California to the 5 and everything dry .
As for the CB's someone must be using them because they keep stocking them and selling them . Don't blame you for not wanting to drill in your new truck if you install again .
Anyway we are fine , just the air is pretty bad . But We feel so bad for the loss of lives and property .
We are lucky for sure . Pat
Picture after we got home . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0174.jpg  
Old 11-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #138

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Never did get my ham license. On the boat I used to listen to the Morse code tape every day. I gave up when my wife started calling out the words before I could.
An Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in Canada doesn't require knowledge of Morse code. Depending on your technical background, you might not need to study at all to pass the test.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #139

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
An Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in Canada doesn't require knowledge of Morse code. Depending on your technical background, you might not need to study at all to the test.
Code no longer required in the US either
Rich, k4fcp
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #140

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
...... Do not understand why we saw no planes or helicopters for hours after we got home . The fire moved real fast toward Thousand Oaks and Bell canyon . Then they started flying . The winds were very bad . ............

Pat, glad you're home safe. I was monitoring county fire frequencies after the start of the Hill Fire. IC (incident command) ordered 5 fixed wing aircraft well before the fire closed US101 at Conejo grade, but the resources were in the north, so it took a while to fly in. W/in 2 hours, the order was increased to 10 aircraft, but by then the Woolsey fire exploded in size, so they shared.

As of Tuesday at noon. Hill fire (between Pat & us) is 90% contained, with most active fire in the mts. south of Thousand Oaks, but the big one, Woolsey fire, is only 35% contained, and winds picked up at dawn (40 mph). Winds now expected through Thursday.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote