Buying a Ford F-150 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 PM   #101

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Toyota Highlander

Just back from the mountains of Northern Colorado.
The 2018 Toyota Highlander pulling the 21 foot fully loaded Escape performed admirably, never dropping below the safe posted speeds, low cabin noise, extremely comfortable ride, adequate cargo capacity and all around very satisfactory performance. And stylish too.
As Eddy Howard sang “To each his own, I’ve found my own, one and only you.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 AM   #102

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Oh man, I just read Jim's comment on another post regarding checking that the spare tire was full size.

I went through that with my Ranger. I asked if the spare was "full size". Yes, I was told. Well, even though I got the tow package it did indeed have a full size spare. Only it was a Continental with a low speed limit and a sticker that said "do not use for towing". I ended up buying a rim and tire from an auto wrecker. The original has been in my garden shed ever since.

So, for anyone who's bought a F150 lately, is the spare usable at highway speeds for towing?

Ron
The spare on my 2016 F150 XL is the same tire as those on the truck. It amazes me any manufacturer would put a spare on a truck that doesn’t match those on the vehicle.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #103

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
The spare on my 2016 F150 XL is the same tire as those on the truck. It amazes me any manufacturer would put a spare on a truck that doesn’t match those on the vehicle.
It is done everywhere, to save a $1, a manufacturer can pay the stockholders more...
Old 07-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #104

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 Maybe if we where better educated consumers this would not happen. Where I buying a new truck the sub standard spare would be a deal breaker. Few salesmen would loose a sale over the difference in cost between a real spare and a fake spare.
Of course the other thing impacted would be payload. The wheels and tires on my truck are a lot heavier than I expected, realized when I rotated them.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #105

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for all the useful answers, the deed is done.

So I started out thinking base truck and that I'd add a hitch and brake controller. Then my wife saw the power memory leather seats etc. So my base truck's turned into a loaded Lariat. 2.7 , 10 speed.

I still think that paying $1900 more for lightening blue is a rip off but as the memory seat fan says, "but dear there's also matching accents on the mirrors and grill."

Just kidding about the eye rolling, I'm a willing participant in getting some of the options. After babying my Ranger in the mountains etc. it's going to be a treat to have more h.p. and gears.

Now comes the waiting as it's a factory order.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #106
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Well done Ron. My Lariat is similar, but in Ruby Red. Factory order seems to be the only way to get exactly what you want, and we sure did.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #107

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Thanks for all the useful answers, the deed is done.

So I started out thinking base truck and that I'd add a hitch and brake controller. Then my wife saw the power memory leather seats etc. So my base truck's turned into a loaded Lariat. 2.7 , 10 speed.

I still think that paying $1900 more for lightening blue is a rip off but as the memory seat fan says, "but dear there's also matching accents on the mirrors and grill."

Just kidding about the eye rolling, I'm a willing participant in getting some of the options. After babying my Ranger in the mountains etc. it's going to be a treat to have more h.p. and gears.

Now comes the waiting as it's a factory order.

Ron
Hopefully you got Ford Employee pricing and your $1,000 Costco discount.

We just bought a super clean, pre-owned F-150. It has the XLT trim and the sports package as well as the trailer tow package and integrated brake controlller. Sure it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles, but it’s still a pretty nice comfortable truck, which provides all that we will need.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #108
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
hahaha, she's got your number!

mine was OK with an older used-but-clean XLT, with the better cloth seats. We had a E150 15 years ago, so its not like the ford truck interior is unfamiliar

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the leather seats, not having an option setting I bought off the lot, and they have had Carhartt seat covers on since day one as I use it for work too. The leather is still in great shape two-and-a-half years later.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #110

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
As far as the debate on towing mirrors goes, when ordering mine I factored in oncoming old age. Even if not towing, we probably find it a little harder to turn the neck plus other things. Just consider the bigger mirrors like glasses, canes, hearing aids, etc. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #111

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It is hard for me to compare since I haven't towed with a F 150 with standard mirrors, but I find the towing mirrors (manual, unfortunately) on my 2018 F 150 are the best mirrors I've ever used. I don't think I'd ever buy a truck without them.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #112
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
It is hard for me to compare since I haven't towed with a F 150 with standard mirrors, but I find the towing mirrors (manual, unfortunately) on my 2018 F 150 are the best mirrors I've ever used. I don't think I'd ever buy a truck without them.
I had the standard power folding mirrors on my 2015 Lariat Jon. Towed thousands of miles and didn't really see a problem. I liked the aesthetics as well.

But then on the 2018 I thought what the heck and added the telescoping trailer tow mirrors. Best decision I made on the options list. I'm with you, won't have a truck without them now. The difference in visibility and the reduction of blind spots is huge.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Hopefully you got Ford Employee pricing and your $1,000 Costco discount.
Yes, got the "Employee" discount but unfortunately not the Costco discount.

No worries though, my wife is a fearless negotiator and we came out quite well, including getting far more for the Ranger than I expected. When she starts negotiating the final price I sit back, keep my mouth shut and smile.

Ron
Old 08-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #114
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Agreed, worth every penny!
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #115

Trailer: none
Quote:
Yes, got the "Employee" discount but unfortunately not the Costco discount.

Ron
How do you get those two discounts?
Old 08-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #116

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
I replaced the stock mirrors on my 2010 F150 Lariat with aftermarket tow mirrors. Did I require them? No. But I sure like towing with them. We have a camper top on the bed of our truck with opaque sides. I use the mirrors a lot! Paid $140 for them on eBay, maintained the heat, power adjust and turn signals. Manual extension but I always leave them extended.

Towing a gen1 19.

Truck options: we use our truck as our long trip ride, whether pulling a trailer or not. Our trips are typically 5,000 to 8,000 miles, currently on a 11,000 mile trip. My wife loves the heated/AC seats, I like the powered seat. Love the tailgate step with the geezer pole. Would never buy a truck without it. Ford brake controller is a must, I’d get the best trailer towing package. Upgrades you can’t do later are the ones that need to be on the truck.

If I was buying new I’d get an XLT model with ample payload. Ford payload is all over the place from totally inadequate to outstanding.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
How do you get those two discounts?
Maybe the "Employee discount" promotion is just in Canada. It ends in a few days. It was substantial.

As far as the Costco discount goes you had to be a Costco member before July 4th. We weren't as I've never liked the idea of having to pay a membership fee to buy things at a store. It was a $1,000.00 discount. No worries, lot's of other thousands got taken off before the dust settled.

Ron
Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #118

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Maybe the "Employee discount" promotion is just in Canada. It ends in a few days. It was substantial.

As far as the Costco discount goes you had to be a Costco member before July 4th. We weren't as I've never liked the idea of having to pay a membership fee to buy things at a store. It was a $1,000.00 discount. No worries, lot's of other thousands got taken off before the dust settled.

Ron
But surely its worth paying for a Costco membership just to get the extra $1,000 off? Good job for your wife.

I saw a good video the other day on trying to deal with automobile salesman: . Although its Australian, its pretty much the same idea. Automobile salesmen are not your friends...they want you to pay as much as possible!!
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #119

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but during the 80's there was a project in the Baltimore IRS office with FIFO and LIFO inventories. Every automobile dealer in the metro area was examined and I got to see the factory shipped prices with holdbacks on several dealers. The gist of the profit margin was then, if you can get the vehicle, equipped the way you wanted, with just paying the base price, you were doing good. In other words the options were free.....Now with TruCar and Good Sams and Costco the margin is even less.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
But surely its worth paying for a Costco membership just to get the extra $1,000 off?
I suppose that if I'd have known before July 4th that Costco membership would have gotten the $1,000 off we'd have gotten one. But no worries, there were so many other costs that came off the table I don't think we were really $1,000 down.

[QUOTE=cpaharley2008;259445]
The gist of the profit margin was then, if you can get the vehicle, equipped the way you wanted, with just paying the base price, you were doing good. In other words the options were free..../QUOTE]

Pretty much the case. As I said, all I had to do is sit back, shut up and let the negotiator do her thing.

Ron