Camp Chef Ranger II Two-Burner Stove - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
Anyone have this?
It's a camp chef
Erik, we have the camp chef stove/oven and LOVE it! We don't have an oven in our 17B and it is so nice to have the camp chef for baking and the extra two burners have come in really handy. The oven is designed very well with the two shelves. I've actually baked a ham and scalloped potatoes in it at the same time. I wouldn't go camping without it now. It is abit heavy but we set it up on a camp table outside and with the burner/oven combo we hardly ever use the trailer stove. Costco carries them every season for a very reasonable price.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another reason to get the over/stove combo in your next Escape...........
Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Or a BBQ.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Maybe a reason to consider one, however for a 17B it would take up precious storage space. We don't take ours all the time as said previously but in the colder season we like having the option, and its nice that the Sport Grill uses the same quick-connect adapter. Lastly a plug for the full-size: we have room for all that stuff if we want it
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Looking forward to your findings.
We were able to put the Camp Chef Explorer and the Professional Grill Box 30 through a good test this weekend, my opinions:

Explorer 2 burner stove, although large and somewhat heavy was easy to set-up, cooking height with the included legs was ideal for me. Burner control is very easy with the ability to control both the gas supply and the air valves to get an ideal flame. It simmers extremely well.

The Professional Grill Box 30 (the BBQ attachment) was an ideal size, we cooked 6 larger burgers in one meal, another meal was 2 chicken breasts, a steak and 3 large peppers so the grill area is plenty large for our needs. Temperatures across the grilling surface are very even, no noticeable hot or cold spots. The other advantage is that because the grill box only uses one burner we had the second burner available for cooking a side dish. The negative is that there is no grease catch, it will drain to the low point which one time was down one of the back legs, another time was beside the burner. Cleaning this up was easy with just a wipe with paper towels and a quick wash but messy yes.

Overall I am very pleased with the combination and feel this is the ideal outdoor cooking centre for our needs
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Didn't realize at first that the Grill Box goes on top of the Explorer. Nice setup, where do you store the set?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Didn't realize at first that the Grill Box goes on top of the Explorer. Nice setup, where do you store the set?
We also bought the storage bags they are an easy fit under the bed of our19'
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
We also bought the storage bags they are an easy fit under the bed of our19'
My problem would be that that space is already mostly full. With no storage box, that is where all my trailer setup stuff, and campsite items are stowed. Going with the Ranger II, I would still likely have to put it under the bed, but would have room for it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #49

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Cost-Co carry a three burner Camp Chef stove. Cabela's stock the 2 burner Explorer Stove. I have a 2 burner Camp Chef Yukon stove, similar design. They also stock a single burner stove that uses the same components. I really like the component approach and use the griddle and grill box quite often. It is a very versatile system, so much that I regularly use it in the backyard and now at larger family gatherings, at the request of the tribe.
Cooking outside is my preferred choice and like to push the limits of "camp meals" to something a little more exotic. Toss a few shrimp on a hot griddle, add a little garlic, a little pepper, a splash of rum, a little flame, a squeeze of lime, and voila, appies that draw a crowd....
A critical point for success is to ensure that when every you add a splash of rum on the grill, you add at least twice as much to the glass!
Jim, I put the stove, griddle, etc. in the back of the truck.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
Jim, I put the stove, griddle, etc. in the back of the truck.
Unfortunately, I use two different tow vehicles, and both see other uses, so stowing any camp gear in either one would be a no go for me. As an outside stove is something that will always be taken along, for me it needs to be on the trailer.

If I had a storage box, it might be a different story, but for now, I am sticking without one, as all our stuff fits in the trailer fine, with just a bit of room to spare.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #51

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Yes, fully agree, I only have the one tow vehicle so not as much of an issue for me.
One of my planned mods is a storage box though. The box that Escape has is really nice but a tad pricey. For the interim, I am thinking of picking up an "Action Packer" cargo box (Canadian Tire) or something similar and mounting it on the front of the trailer. Whatever I do, and even if it is just for the interim, it still has to look good.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I have a Dickinson Spitfire 180 grill which I connect to the low pressure quick connect on my Escape 21. I am looking to purchase a Camp Chef Ranger II to use as well. If I install a tee on the low pressure line on the Escape, would there be sufficient gas flow to operate both the Dickinson Spitfire 180 and the Camp Chef Ranger II at the same time?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I have a Dickinson Spitfire 180 grill which I connect to the low pressure quick connect on my Escape 21. I am looking to purchase a Camp Chef Ranger II to use as well. If I install a tee on the low pressure line on the Escape, would there be sufficient gas flow to operate both the Dickinson Spitfire 180 and the Camp Chef Ranger II at the same time?
I posed this scenario to Reace a while ago, and he said it should be just fine
Old 09-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
I posed this scenario to Reace a while ago, and he said it should be just fine
Thanks!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #55

Wow, it has been quite a while since anyone posted in this thread, and since then there sure seems to be a lot of happy Ranger II users out there, myself included.

We love using this stove. You can boil water fast, yet cook at a super low simmer. The 3 rings of flame ensure good coverage across the entire pot/pan surface. It works good with moderate winds, as the flame seems to be unaffected by them. Not sure about high winds as we have not had them yet, and might be cooking inside then anyway.

It is great that it connects easily to the trailer LP QC, a very convenient thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
.. we have a camp chef ranger II stove for cooking, and the tub fits nicely in the rear storage area on our 19' ..
What container are you using. I am using a clear Rubbermaid container that is just a smidgen too small. It fits side to side, but I have to pull the knobs off every time to store. Curious what others are using too.

I had considered making a tough fabric bag, but worry about the knobs that protrude, and the feet would wear on it while stored rather quickly. I think the feet design is about the only weakness of the stove, and wish they had of used something flat.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #56

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
so this stove will hook up to quick connect with out any modification?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #57

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i see they sell a carrying bag for this stove anyone have it? i have the Everest thinking of buying the camp ranger 2 is it worth buying a new stove?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
What container are you using. I am using a clear Rubbermaid container that is just a smidgen too small. It fits side to side, but I have to pull the knobs off every time to store. Curious what others are using too.
someone on the forum posted about the sterilite modular stackers, the 10 gallon/38L one fits perfectly.. and went in the 19' rear hatch fine too.

found the thread -

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...view-6682.html
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
so this stove will hook up to quick connect with out any modification?
Yes. You could just attach to the 3/8" flare fitting with the hose supplied from Escape and it will work just fine. I did add a quick connect fitting to the stove and to the end of the hose to quickly attach and to use for my BBQ or fire pit too, which all have a quick connect fitting on them.

I used one of these 90° fittings as the one on the stove aims straight out the side. This allowed me to point it rearward.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I also bought one of these splitters so I can run to appliances at once.
http://propanegear.com/propane-quick...er-rv-fitting/

I bought a couple short male pigtails, a short hose, and another longer hose from these guys.
https://tejassmokers.com/LP-Quick-Disconnect-Hose/35
Old 09-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #60

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jim, where do you store the stove for travel?