Can you 4 season-fulltime in an Escape? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We'll be long out of warranty when we hit the road, as is Jon by now in his 17. As wifey says, on these trailers, I'm the warranty. Knowing how well Reace and Tammy take care of folks, really think that is a non-issue. Known quite a few folks over the years full timing in Scamps, Casitas, and all others and the Escape to us is a more appealing trailer for full-time.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
From 2014 Escape manual.
Note use of the word "May".

Your unit is a recreational vehicle and not intended, nor manufactured, as a permanent residence. Longterm or full-time occupancy may lead to premature deterioration and may, under the terms of the warranty, constitute misuse and reduce your warranty protection.
I had read this, but did not take it at all as Escape not recommending the full time use, just warning about what I had said, that certain products used may see a "quicker" deterioration, something to be expected. Some of the product used in almost any RV has a fairly short lifespan, which can be many years of part time use, or just a couple years with full time use. Even with full time use from the onset, I doubt very much would go wrong in the two year warranty period anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I believe much of the problem lies in moisture expelled when occupants exhale. The trailer needs time to "dry out." Running a dehumidifier such as an Ecoseb (Amazon) goes a long way toward alleviating this problem. Also, given that during the warm months, you will want to spend as much time outside as possible, one could say you are not really full-timing during the warm spells. And most if not all components that wear out can be replaced. While some of them may be expensive, the cost will probably be negated by the money saved not having to fork over/pony up property tax, insurance payments, association dues if applicable, and special assessments on a fixed residence
Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Hi,

I "full-timed" for 5 months, from Sept. 2015 to Jan. 2016, just me and my 65# dog in our 19 in the Seattle area. Our trailer has the insulation package and double pane windows but not the under side sprayed insulation.

To help battle the cold I added an electric heated H2o hose, an additional floor runner and an electric heater with a fan (I was using a tank of propane a week the last 2 months). I kept the grey and black water tanks closed and drained them only on warm days.

Unfortunately it was a record wet winter in Seattle and my biggest challenge was keeping the condensation under control. Windows were left cracked open at night and fan on during the day and even the purchase of an electric dehumidifier were not enough to stay ahead of the problem. I even kept the doors open for almost every cabinet and the benches open in the dinette and I still had to wipe down walls and windows every day.

Would I full time in an Escape again? Yes. Would I choose to do it in the Pacific Northwest? No.

Kelly
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I totally get that Kelly! We plan to winter down south in AZ and Mexico so the moisture volume will be far less than in the Northwest.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
I totally get that Kelly! We plan to winter down south in AZ and Mexico so the moisture volume will be far less than in the Northwest.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have dry camped in our 17 B as low as -23, with extended time spent in 10 - 20 f. The larger trailers will not have the same capacity as the heater is the same in all three units. You will find extensive condensation in the cupboards and especially the aluminum window frames. It can be mitigated somewhat by leaving the top vent cracked. Air intake comes from the leaky door seal. (Initially thought this was a problem, now I realize it was a solution!) Even with our heated tanks, I wouldn't trust using the water systems much below 25 degrees as the dump valves outside the heated space and will eventualy become a thick slurry (even with pink stuff) that will not flow through the discharge pipe until it warms up.
If low temp functionality is important to you, look at Lance Trailers.
What's wrong with your Artic Fox, speaking of low temp functionality?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We have dry camped in our 17 B as low as -23, with extended time spent in 10 - 20 f. The larger trailers will not have the same capacity as the heater is the same in all three units. You will find extensive condensation in the cupboards and especially the aluminum window frames. It can be mitigated somewhat by leaving the top vent cracked. Air intake comes from the leaky door seal. (Initially thought this was a problem, now I realize it was a solution!) Even with our heated tanks, I wouldn't trust using the water systems much below 25 degrees as the dump valves outside the heated space and will eventualy become a thick slurry (even with pink stuff) that will not flow through the discharge pipe until it warms up.
If low temp functionality is important to you, look at Lance Trailers.
What's wrong with your Artic Fox, speaking of low temp functionality?
Another reason to not like the 2017 new doors . All nicely sealed up with new door . Just like in your home you insulate just to a degree but not overboard because you will deal with radon gas , cooking odors , etc . You need some air ventilation somewhere . Another reason besides looks to love our Classic door . Didn't think of this yet . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Another reason to not like the 2017 new doors . All nicely sealed up with new door . Just like in your home you insulate just to a degree but not overboard because you will deal with radon gas , cooking odors , etc . You need some air ventilation somewhere . Another reason besides looks to love our Classic door . Didn't think of this yet . Pat
I completely disagree.

There is a roof vent in a 2017 21', correct? that can be left open, but it has a cover so rain won't intrude, correct?

I want the ability to seal up tight any travel trailer, but open the roof vent if need be.

Having a custom made, drafty door does not seem like an advantage at all.

just my 2c.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I completely disagree.

There is a roof vent in a 2017 21', correct? that can be left open, but it has a cover so rain won't intrude, correct?

I want the ability to seal up tight any travel trailer, but open the roof vent if need be.

Having a custom leaky door does not seem like an advantage at all.

just my 2c.
You will learn . We have had our trailer for 3 years and if you don't run your Max fan , open window or windows , you will have a problem . In cold weather you need to open your cabinets , get your cushions and bed away from walls . Have some kind of humidifier pretty much all the time . We live in California or it can be worst and you need to do more . Have had the new door twice and really like the classic door for many reasons , I guess the screen first off . Good thing we all don't think alike . You can have your opinion so can we . Pat
Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #31

If I had to name just one aspect of my 19 I did not like, it would be the door. Though to be fair, they are doing a much better job than in 2009 with the moulded doors. My door had over 1/2" of added foam strips to help seal in places. You could feel the draft on a cold night.

I too much prefer to crack a window and use the fan for ventilating, it is something that I control.

Still, one of my favourite things about the new moulds with the straight sides is the opportunity to use the new door. Not only does it seal better, and have a sturdier screen, it also allows more options for fridges too.

I do prefer the look of the moulded door, but I will take function over appearance on an item like that any day.

This is my preference anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How dare you have an opinion, Jim?
Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How dare you have an opinion, Jim?
Sawwy.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
You will learn . We have had our trailer for 3 years and if you don't run your Max fan , open window or windows , you will have a problem . In cold weather you need to open your cabinets , get your cushions and bed away from walls . Have some kind of humidifier pretty much all the time . We live in California or it can be worst and you need to do more . Have had the new door twice and really like the classic door for many reasons , I guess the screen first off . Good thing we all don't think alike . You can have your opinion so can we . Pat
I thought my words "just my 2c" made it clear I was aware it was just my opinion.

Of course we all can have our own opinion. I'm not stupid.

This forum is awesome as people here sometimes politely disagree.

Again - just my 2c
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I seem to remember reading either from ETI material or on this Forum that ETI doesn't not recommend their trailers for full time use. So I'm wondering if there might be some warranty issues for someone using the trailer for full timing ?
When I spoke with Sarah earlier this month in Chilliwack she said there are no stipulations about full-timing, and Tammy confirmed this.
https://daysofnights.org
johnwarrensimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwarrensimpson View Post
When I spoke with Sarah earlier this month in Chilliwack she said there are no stipulations about full-timing, and Tammy confirmed this.
Good thing....
Old 04-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If I had to name just one aspect of my 19 I did not like, it would be the door. Though to be fair, they are doing a much better job than in 2009 with the moulded doors. My door had over 1/2" of added foam strips to help seal in places. You could feel the draft on a cold night.

I too much prefer to crack a window and use the fan for ventilating, it is something that I control.

Still, one of my favourite things about the new moulds with the straight sides is the opportunity to use the new door. Not only does it seal better, and have a sturdier screen, it also allows more options for fridges too.

I do prefer the look of the moulded door, but I will take function over appearance on an item like that any day.

This is my preference anyway.
I agree Jim. While I've always liked the look of the custom door, I appreciate the new door design for those exact reasons. Maybe because I am more used to it, I still prefer the look of the "classic's" curved sides over the straighter side new models. But I am a diehard function over form man myself and am therefore looking very forward to a 2017 21' next May.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
...... am therefore looking very forward to a 2017 21' next May.
And the party at the rally afterwards too, eh?
Old 04-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
And the party at the rally afterwards too, eh?
Huuuum might just be why we picked a May completion date.....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I thought my words "just my 2c" made it clear I was aware it was just my opinion.

Of course we all can have our own opinion. I'm not stupid.

This forum is awesome as people here sometimes politely disagree.

Again - just my 2c
Hey no problem sorry if I took it the wrong way . I notice you have a Casita . Nice trailer too I had considered one myself . The Casita does not have the vinyl we have . The condensation is something you are going to have to deal with . That Max fan will be your friend and opening windows . Pat