Carefree manual awning won't deploy - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Carefree manual awning won't deploy

We had our 2017 17B delivered last November and finally got it in our driveway a few days ago. I got the manual on line, but when I engaged the hook to the loop to deploy only the rear part of the case started to open with the forward part remaining static. The rear bracket starts to open, but no movement of the forward one. I tried several time, opening about a foot with a similar result.
Am I doing something wrong, has anyone else had this situation with a Carefree of Colorado?
Tony
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Lift the forward arm a bit. It's probably hung up at the top. Happens from time to time.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Some things to try...

Make sure the brake lever (front end of awning cylinder) is pushed all the way to open position. The lever points to the open direction, even when it is locked. I think the rear end of the awning can pull open a bit even if it is still locked.

Gently pull on the front arm to make sure all the locks are not still engaged.

Check that both support arms are down (not partially extended). The awning does not like to open if one of them was not fully collapsed.

Hope you get it figured out.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
We had our 2017 17B delivered last November and finally got it in our driveway a few days ago. I got the manual on line, but when I engaged the hook to the loop to deploy only the rear part of the case started to open with the forward part remaining static. The rear bracket starts to open, but no movement of the forward one. I tried several time, opening about a foot with a similar result.
Am I doing something wrong, has anyone else had this situation with a Carefree of Colorado?
Tony
This is a newer trailer. Are we talking about the Carefree Freedom WM? This awning has support arms that store in the lead rail.
Freedom Wall Mount - Carefree of Colorado

I think some members may think you have the Carefree Fiesta that was used for many years on the classic trailer molds. This has support legs that stay visible vertically down the trailer.
Fiesta - Carefree of Colorado
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #5

I should have noted this is the Freedom WM with the arms stored in the lead rail. I assume the suggestions do not apply
Tony
Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #6

Tony,
Since it is in fact the Freedom WM you aren't going to have too many members that have that awning and those that do have it haven't had it for very long. My suggestion would be to try to talk directly to Reace at ETI or take it to a Carefree dealer that is comfortable working on that model awning. Since you are under warranty ETI should cover any needed repairs/replacement, but I would get Reace to agree to the approach first.

Carefree Dealers
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #7

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Tony
I CAN say that this happened to me, opening it for the first time this season the other day. ....But it resolved with rolling it back up snuggly, then unrolling again...twice. I wonder if the front lead had just sealed up a bit being in storage over winter? Hope by now, yours has resolved, too.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Tony,
Since it is in fact the Freedom WM you aren't going to have too many members that have that awning and those that do have it haven't had it for very long. My suggestion would be to try to talk directly to Reace at ETI or take it to a Carefree dealer that is comfortable working on that model awning. Since you are under warranty ETI should cover any needed repairs/replacement, but I would get Reace to agree to the approach first.

Carefree Dealers
Took your advice and solved our problem. Reace suggested a couple of things that didn't work, so I sent photos to Carefree. They were very responsive and helpful. Apparently the support arm was not stowed correctly when checked at Escape. The leading support arm was hitting the end cap and not allowing the awning to deploy. Carefree emailed pictures and a video that demonstrated correct stowing. We forwarded the information to Reace. Hope this helps someone else. Tony
Old 06-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Took your advice and solved our problem. Reace suggested a couple of things that didn't work, so I sent photos to Carefree. They were very responsive and helpful. Apparently the support arm was not stowed correctly when checked at Escape. The leading support arm was hitting the end cap and not allowing the awning to deploy. Carefree emailed pictures and a video that demonstrated correct stowing. We forwarded the information to Reace. Hope this helps someone else. Tony
Glad you got it worked out. If possible post the pictures and link to video so it is here if someone else has the same issue.