Casters on a 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Question Casters on a 5.0TA

Casters on the 5.0TA landing gear. Anybody tried it? We have a nice spot on a large pad in front of the garage that would be ideal to park the trailer. Problem is not enough space to maneuver a trailer with a truck because of surrounding terrain. I still have from my Montana days a Polaris 700 Sportsman ATV on tracks. If this was a non-fifth wheel trailer I could easily maneuver it with the ATV. I need to come up with some way to support the fifth wheel front end while it's being maneuvered. The ATV/fifth wheel connection is another problem. Anybody have any ideas?
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh shoot. I captured a pic of an owner who added this so they could use a Power Mover to move a 5.0 around! Dang, I don't know who it was...
Attached Thumbnails
PowerMover-BracketsForMovingTenForward.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh shoot. I captured a pic of an owner who added this so they could use a Power Mover to move a 5.0 around! Dang, I don't know who it was...
Thank you Donna I was certain it could be done. My thoughts are trailer casters on each landing gear with some sort of receiver in the center of the frame. To the receiver attach some workable connection to my ATV.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Casters on the 5.0TA landing gear. Anybody tried it? We have a nice spot on a large pad in front of the garage that would be ideal to park the trailer. Problem is not enough space to maneuver a trailer with a truck because of surrounding terrain. I still have from my Montana days a Polaris 700 Sportsman ATV on tracks. If this was a non-fifth wheel trailer I could easily maneuver it with the ATV. I need to come up with some way to support the fifth wheel front end while it's being maneuvered. The ATV/fifth wheel connection is another problem. Anybody have any ideas?
ETI does it everyday, but keep in mind the trailer is sitting on a dolly around the axle area and they move the trailers sideways down the assembly line.

They make the caster wheels for this purpose search on Atwood caster wheel, the one pictured is by BAL. Just need to make sure you purchase for right Jack/diameter.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior_4-4-2018_DSC07798.jpg   BAL Caster.JPG  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #5

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
ETI does it everyday, but keep in mind the trailer is sitting on a dolly around the axle area and they move the trailers sideways down the assembly line.

They make the caster wheels for this purpose search on Atwood caster wheel, the one pictured is by BAL. Just need to make sure you purchase for right Jack/diameter.
Thanks That looks great! I see they take the forward wheels off for ease of turning. You have a dry hitch weight shy of 700 lbs. I'm wondering how much weight is shifted forward by removing those forward wheels? Next problem is ATV
connection to trailer frame. Thanks again jn
Old 03-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Looks like a polished smooth concrete floor. If you have that, you could consider. I've found shifting my 17B using the jack wheel takes a lot of effort ( and a lot of effort to stop it, once it gets going ).
Old 03-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Looks like a polished smooth concrete floor. If you have that, you could consider. I've found shifting my 17B using the jack wheel takes a lot of effort ( and a lot of effort to stop it, once it gets going ).
It's going to be moved with a Polaris 700 Sportsman on tracks. I use to attach a chain and drag large logs out of the mountains with that setup. The pad where the trailer will be located is concrete and level. I once pulled a truck stuck in a snow bank with the ATV. I agree trying to manhandle that beast would be a chore,

jn
Old 03-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
It was Chris R. This thread might help:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...bear-9940.html
Old 03-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The distance from the axle centre to the landing gear jacks is about two-thirds of the distance from the axle centre to the pin, so the load on the jacks (if they are supporting the trailer level) will be about 50% greater than the pin weight (when a fifth-wheel is supporting the trailer level). That's fine for the jacks, but small casters on anything but a very smooth and flat surface will be challenging to roll.

If I were doing this, I would want to use the largest wheel possible, and preferably one with a tire (rubber or urethane, not hard plastic).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The distance from the axle centre to the landing gear jacks is about two-thirds of the distance from the axle centre to the pin, so the load on the jacks (if they are supporting the trailer level) will be about 50% greater than the pin weight (when a fifth-wheel is supporting the trailer level). That's fine for the jacks, but small casters on anything but a very smooth and flat surface will be challenging to roll.

If I were doing this, I would want to use the largest wheel possible, and preferably one with a tire (rubber or urethane, not hard plastic).
Your right about some decent caster wheels. I'm going have to research the casters set up to attach to trailer jacks and see if they even make them that would be suitable for this application.

Later Did some searching and 6" seems like standard size for the jack wheels. Might get the jack caster and find suitable wheels sized to fit the caster. I saw some wheels with a 1200 lb rating with roller bearings
Old 03-04-2019, 10:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Your right about some decent caster wheels. I'm going have to research the casters set up to attach to trailer jacks and see if they even make them that would be suitable for this application. jn
In a quick search, the only pneumatic-tire caster wheels I could find were these:
TJWK10 --- Croft Pneumatic Wheel Kit
... but they're expensive, and designed to fit a specific jack, not necessarily compatible with the 5.0TA's jacks. Some reasonably priced jacks come with similar tires (but only a single), but not as a removable wheel that could be used with the stock jacks.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:02 PM   #12

Quote:
I still have from my Montana days a Polaris 700 Sportsman ATV on tracks. If this was a non-fifth wheel trailer I could easily maneuver it with the ATV. I need to come up with some way to support the fifth wheel front end while it's being maneuvered. The ATV/fifth wheel connection is another problem. Anybody have any ideas?
With the trailer's front supported by the jacks on casters, I think I would consider using an A-frame towbar (example: Curt), attached to the front of the trailer instead of to the front of a towed motor vehicle. The base ends of the A-frame could pin to the front crossmember (the one that Chris is using for his power dolly), and the coupler of the towbar would go on the ATV's tow ball (which I would want on the front of the ATV, not the rear). The ability of the tow bar to hinge vertically at the attachment points to the trailer is important, so the ATV doesn't attempt to support any vertical load. The challenge would be that the ATV and rider would be under the loft of the trailer, running into the pin box.

I wouldn't even try to push/pull the trailer around by the pin box with an ATV, just because the pinbox is way too high for that... unless it had a tripod frame like the one that Tin built for his power dolly (as shown in the linked thread). A frame which allows a hinged tow bar to be attached, with the towball out past the pin box for clearance, would be a little more complex structure than needed for Tin's dolly setup; if you're building that, it could include one nice big caster wheel & tire (or pair), instead of using the jacks.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yup, that is mine. I had ETI weld the receiver cup to the front cross member. When using it, I lower the trailer onto the dolly's pin, it takes the weight of the front half of the trailer. The system works very well. The nice part is the distance between the receiver and the wheels is short so I can turn very sharply. The is tires scub but I try to make sure there is gravel or sand underneath the tires to help.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Yup, that is mine. I had ETI weld the receiver cup to the front cross member. When using it, I lower the trailer onto the dolly's pin, it takes the weight of the front half of the trailer. The system works very well. The nice part is the distance between the receiver and the wheels is short so I can turn very sharply. The is tires scub but I try to make sure there is gravel or sand underneath the tires to help.
I'm very impressed with your 5.0TA mods. You've inspired me. I've only had a brief opportunity to view close up one of the trailers. Can a local welder do the frame receiver welding after I pick it up? My concern is damage to the fiberglass body.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm very impressed with your 5.0TA mods. You've inspired me. I've only had a brief opportunity to view close up one of the trailers. Can a local welder do the frame receiver welding after I pick it up? My concern is damage to the fiberglass body.
Mine was welded on before the shell was attached. I think the skill of the welder would play a big part on possible damage to the fibreglass. The received also has a bracket on the back side to distribute stress.