Check the back of your 30 amp plug in inlet - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
Check the back of your 30 amp plug in inlet

I added a 15 amp power inlet today for an extra outlet that I can power without using the 30 amp.
While I was under the bed I noticed a lot of light coming from the 30 amp . I looked closely and it looked like it was exposed to the outside. So we closed the cover and ran water at the outside roof line.
No leak, opened the cover and ran water, again no leak. Plugged a cord in and tried it again. Water dribbled in. I sealed it and will test it again tomorrow but I'm sure it will not leak anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170509_190433.jpg (113.4 KB, 79 views)

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

Trailer: TBD
I hope you put an isolotion / transfer switch between the 30 amp and the 15 amp inlet. If I understand you correctly you have created a double ended feed for your trailer , which if installed improperly creates a hazard . The same reason you have a transfer switch when you have an inverter. You don't want to back feed the 120 VAC from the inverter into the utility lines.
This is the reason a trailer only comes with one inlet or service cord and you don't find one on both sides of the trailer even though it would be more convenient at times.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I hope you put an isolotion / transfer switch between the 30 amp and the 15 amp inlet. If I understand you correctly you have created a double ended feed for your trailer , which if installed improperly creates a hazard . The same reason you have a transfer switch when you have an inverter. You don't want to back feed
the 120 VAC from the inverter into the utility lines.
The 15 amp is completely separate. It runs to one outlet and no further. Its main purpose is to power a dehumidifier so we do not get mildew growing in the trailer. But others who have them also use them as additional power, lets say you have the air conditioner and microwave running and want to also run something else.
I've always installed one in my trailers and run a dehumidifier during the summer.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Maybe I read it wrong but I thought that by "extra outlet" he meant one that was only powered by a 15 amp cord and not in any way tied into any other circuits.

If that's the case, I have the same set-up. I use it to power my heat source in the winter while all the other circuits etc. aren't connected to shore power.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #5

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Maybe I read it wrong but I thought that by "extra outlet" he meant one that was only powered by a 15 amp cord and not in any way tied into any other circuits.

If that's the case, I have the same set-up. I use it to power my heat source in the winter while all the other circuits etc. aren't connected to shore power.

Ron
I evidently misread the intent of the OP's post. Back during Y2K there was a huge problem with homeowner installed generators backfeeding into the utility grid and creating a possibly deadly condition. Now we are seeing the same issue with solar and inverters.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #6

Hopefully ours is the only trailer that had a potential leak. It's a easy fix at least, just seal the lit area on the back of the 30 amp inlet. I'm going to repeat the water test tomorrow but it should not leak anymore. .
Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
So basically you are using 45 amps at the cg, do you pay for the 50 amp uncharge or just hook up both and hope for the best, some camp ground charge more for 50 amp service, like the big buses with 2 air conditioning units and rightfully so since they are using a lot more electricity.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So basically you are using 45 amps at the cg, do you pay for the 50 amp uncharge or just hook up both and hope for the best, some camp ground charge more for 50 amp service, like the big buses with 2 air conditioning units and rightfully so since they are using a lot more electricity.
Nope, I'm using 15 amps at the house. The new part is for a dehumidifier when it is setting at home.

But I can see it's waste to show anything with all the self appointed experts so I'll cease posting.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Nope, I'm using 15 amps at the house. The new part is for a dehumidifier when it is setting at home.

But I can see it's waste to show anything with all the self appointed experts so I'll cease posting.
Thanks for the info. Looks like more Proflex.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If all people ever posted was , we'd be bored to death and learn nothing.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote