Chemical Water Smell - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #21
RJM

Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
I've flushed and filled my fresh water tank with my wonderful home well water multiple times. It still has the original noxious chemical smell from my very first experience the day i picked it up from ETI
There's plastic piping from the tank to the tap. Maybe drain the system and add water to the tank (don't turn on the pump) and try the water from the drain valve at the bottom of the tank in case it's not the tank.

I've also had that bad chemical taste using a plastic measuring cup. Use only glass now.
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We carefully filter the water going into our trailer (not the cheapo blue inline filter), keep the plumbing clean, and no matter where we go and how sulfurous or funky the source, what we drink and cook with is clean and delicious, right from the taps of our rig. Given that we travel for extended periods, and often far from ‘civilization’, it would be impractical to carry an equivalent amount of water in disposable containers. And why bother, if you keep your system and what goes into it clean? Do those of you who refill smaller vessels regularly also clean and sanitize them? You should, just as a reminder.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 2017 19
Chemical taste

We are also having a similar problem occasionally. My current thinking is that although I drain the fresh water tank at the end of a trip and refill before leaving again, a significant amount of water stays in the hot water tank and piping. This time I filled the tank and ran both hot and cold water for 5 minutes, then refilled. We will see how this works out next week and report back.

Dave
dkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Escape uses PEX tubing for their water system piping . PEX is the residential standard in most newer homes and from my experience does not impart odor or taste into water
That only leaves the fresh water tank as the culprit and the tank Escape uses is NSF approved for potable water .
It may be nothing more than each individuals sensitivity to certain smells and taste .
We have run into campgrounds whose water has a strong smell / taste of bleach making the water safe but unpalatable.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
my fresh tank doesn't drain completely, got to tip the trailer a bit if I'm concerned.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have run into campgrounds whose water has a strong smell / taste of bleach making the water safe but unpalatable.

If you put that water in an open container and leave it overnight, the chlorine will dissipate.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you put that water in an open container and leave it overnight, the chlorine will dissipate.

Unless it’s chloramine, which is becoming much more common as a municipal disinfectant these days. It doesn’t evaporate like chlorine, and it tastes icky. But it’s safe. But the “disinfection byproducts”, where it reacts with organic matter in the water supply, are being recognized as a new hazard.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
my fresh tank doesn't drain completely, got to tip the trailer a bit if I'm concerned.

Even if you do this the resultant moist and humid, oxygen rich container you leave behind is an ideal breeding ground for crud. If we plan to not use our fresh tank for more than a few weeks we fill it with chlorinated water, to combat anything growing in there. Sometimes even add extra bleach to make sure it’s sterile. Then dump and rinse before the next trip.

If there was a way to actually dry the tank out after draining, that would be a good option too, but I don’t know a practical way to do it.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk View Post
We are also having a similar problem occasionally. My current thinking is that although I drain the fresh water tank at the end of a trip and refill before leaving again, a significant amount of water stays in the hot water tank and piping. This time I filled the tank and ran both hot and cold water for 5 minutes, then refilled. We will see how this works out next week and report back.

Dave

Just as a reminder, you should never drink, or cook with, water from a hot water heater. The risks of various types of contamination go way up. With this in mind I only worry about whether the water from the cold rap tastes right [emoji1303]
Old 06-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #30

Trailer: August 2017 17b
ETI recommends re-sanitizing and let them know if doesn't work. Doesn't smell like an organic contaminant, but will try and follow-up afterwards.

Very familiar with chlorine, but not chloramine.... Interesting...
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
ETI recommends re-sanitizing and let them know if doesn't work. Doesn't smell like an organic contaminant, but will try and follow-up afterwards.

Very familiar with chlorine, but not chloramine.... Interesting...
You could try some baking soda in the tank with some water it might help to absorb some of the odors, then flush the tank with clear water drain and refill.

Whatever you do after sanitizing , fill and drain the tank a couple of times. Does the water have a Sulphur smell? Sometimes using chlorine actually brings out the Sulphur smell as it oxidizes the dissolved Sulphur compounds(and therefore not noticeable) form and it becomes hydrogen sulphide that we can smell and taste.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, previously 2006 17B
sumac.rhus We feel your pain. We picked up our 2018 Escape 19 on Jan 30 2018 and spent the night in the rain at Fort Langley Campground getting organized and packed prior to heading to Quartzsite. Our first coffee on Jan 31 was plastic tainted. Almost gave up coffee. We drained our tank and once on the road bought bleach and added a 1/3 cup to an almost full water tank and let it slosh around as we negotiated I-5, l did this twice, then rinsed and flushed the tank several times and no longer had the chemical odour in the hot water or water tanks. We have always carried potable water for coffee, but in the excitement of picking up the new trailer we forgot our rule. Hope you resolve your issue, lots of good input in this post.
Escapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Never had a chemical smell but we have used vinegar and baking soda with a tank filled about 3/4 full and then drove around for a while to slosh it around pretty good. We drained and refilled a couple times and that freshened our tank but I don’t recall how much vinegar or baking soda we used. Our situation was a sulphur like smell since our motorhome was stored in a hot climate for a couple months with a partial tank of water.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #34

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We asked Escape to fill our water tanks at pickup. ICK! The chloride smell and taste was overpowering. Our second night we drained the water tank and then connected to great Portland, OR City water and the taste was great. Along the way we have connected to other highly chlorinated water sources and ICK again. Finally ordered some beer making tablets from Amazon. These remove harsh flavors in the source water to make great tasting beer. I grind up the tablets between 2 spoons, then sprinkle the powder in the fresh fill inlet. Then add a dash of bottled water to carry the powder into the tank. Usually 2-3 tablets clean up the foul chlorine taste within a day.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #35

Thanks for all the suggestions. Surely at least one (or a combination) will work.
Will re-try tackling when have a few days off next week.
Whatever works, sounds like the 'beer making" tablets could be good to have on hand - certainly part of the fun of being on the road, is not knowing all of what will come our way.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #36

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Campden tablets, 100 for $4.95
Old 06-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post

Organic?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #38

Quote:

These are composed of:

“Potassium metabisulfite, K2S2O5, also known as potassium pyrosulfite, is a white crystalline powder with a pungent sulfur odour. The main use for the chemical is as an antioxidant or chemical sterilant.” -Wikipedia

Sounds like the cure is worse than the problem.

But as ever, YMMV.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Cool! Thanks
Old 06-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
These are composed of:

“Potassium metabisulfite, K2S2O5, also known as potassium pyrosulfite, is a white crystalline powder with a pungent sulfur odour. The main use for the chemical is as an antioxidant or chemical sterilant.” -Wikipedia

Sounds like the cure is worse than the problem.

But as ever, YMMV.
Not really.... very small tablet treats 10 gallons very quickly. It basically removes chlorine and chloramines from water. I would crush a couple in a gallon of water and dump into the tank if I felt the source water was the issue. I use it when making beer all the time, our water here is pretty dodgy.
jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote