Choices, Choices - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We use the dinnette area as bed all the time, the mount for the pedestal is attached to the floor which makes storing things under the table difficult.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I would opine that it would be just as easy to let Escape put in the LEDs, rather than you doing a swap.
You make a lot of good points. I spent some serious dollars to get the brightest, whitest leds from Superbright that I could get, with a color temperature close to incandescents. I was reluctant to pay for the option with Escape, not knowing what color they'd be, and then wish I'd kept the ones we liked. "We" being the operative word here, because I'm not as sensitive to colors as my wife. Something to check with Escape, as they may even use (or would get) the same ones I bought.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Regarding using Casita lights in Escape. When I was comparing the two trailers I discovered that they use a different base so they will not transfer over. This may have changed very recently but I don't think so.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Regarding using Casita lights in Escape. When I was comparing the two trailers I discovered that they use a different base so they will not transfer over. This may have changed very recently but I don't think so.
Oh! I asked that very question and was told they're the same bayonet base. I'll ask again, but things are pointing more toward just letting them supply the LEDs.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
To Parker, I may have misunderstood. I thought you didn't want to pay extra for the LED lights from Escape and would get the regular ones and put in your bulbs. I ordered the regular lights and they have a "Wedge" base not a bayonet base. If you order the LED lights, they may well have a bayonet base, but then you wouldn't need the old bulbs unless you liked the color better. Casita puts bayonet bases in their lights whether they are LED or not and when you order the LED package at Casita, they simply substitute bulbs. Escape regular lights are wedge based, but if you order the LED package my understanding is that the entire fixture is different. I am moving my "wedge" LED's over from my old trailer to the Escape which has the standard fixtures. I already had $100 + invested in warm white LED's from Superbright. (One exception, the outside lights have a bayonet base so if you had LED versions of those they WILL work.) If you like LED's and your bulbs won't work, then I, too, would have gone with the Escape LED package.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have replaced my regular bulbs with LED over time, starting with those I use the most. The regular bulbs have a wedge base, as does the LED.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I Definately like the box on our 19'. Keep all the outside stuff there for easy access. Also went with the Factory LED package and have not regretted it.

Question: You mentioned carring an "inflatable kayak" inside the TV. I am very interested in having an inflatable kayak and have looked at several on line. Focusing in on the SeaEagle Paddleski 435. Which do you have? Any recommendations? I had one before from National Geografic which was way too "saggy" and now has a leak that I simply can't find to patch. I would like a 2 person version.

Jay
jvanbavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #28

I guess a call to Escape is in order. I tried being very specific with my question about the bulb base and they said it was bayonet. Maybe as Tim suggests, they change the entire fixture when starting out with LEDs from the factory.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #29

My trailer is a 2008 and they may well have changed fixtures since then. So, Tammy is the person to talk to.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I guess a call to Escape is in order. I tried being very specific with my question about the bulb base and they said it was bayonet. Maybe as Tim suggests, they change the entire fixture when starting out with LEDs from the factory.

The LED's come as a complete fixture now. In my 2005 Escape I changed the bulbs to LED's and was contemplating using the old bulbs in my new 2012 5.0 but didn't. I'm glad I didn't though as the new fixtures are way better; more light output and way better colour temperature.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The bases are wedge, the led's have wedge base with a screw to secure the bulb. I have replaced the one in the bathroom with a smaller watt due to the "blinding" one gets in the middle of the night. I also installed some amber auto type wedge leds over the bed because I ordered the wrong size for my FJ cruiser and they fit in the escape, cool looking at night.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #32

Aha! I bet they were telling me their new fixtures for LEDs have bayonet bases, but if I'd have not ordered their LED option, I would have ended up with the original wedge base fixtures. Thanks, Barry. This forum is great!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The led bases are not bayonet, bayonet are what your automobile use, you push in and turn, here is a picture of a bayonet base bulb, the second is a wedge bulb
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #34

Yep, I know about bayonet and wedge based bulbs. Our Casita uses bayonet everywhere except the range hood, which is wedge. Superbright sells LEDs in both styles. I'm calling Escape later today to find out exactly what they're using now.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
I just went LED with bulbs from Escape. The main bulbs were wedge and the patio was bayonet BUT the new bulb for that one comes with a Bayonet converter which Is directional on the vertical plane so it can be raised and lowered to your liking

"It's quicker to go slow" &
"You're only young once, you're a helluva long time dead"
Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #36

We're getting ready to call Escape to try to find out what other options may be available that are not on their published list. It's been interesting to hear about all the things Reace can do, so if anyone has any additional thoughts, please let me know. Here's what we're planning right now:

3-burner ss stove and hood
6.7 cuft fridge
Opening window over sink
Smaller AC unit, even though it's quite a bit more expensive
Bike rack ready
Door at end of bench
Equalizer hitch....I'm following the Anderson discussion and may go that way
Exterior propane connection
Extra insulation and thermal windows
LED interior
Led porch light
LED captain lights.....anyone have them? What are they?
Opening window in bathroom
SS sink and chrome faucet
Stove cover
Storage box on tongue....I'm convinced now
Surge protector.... never had one before, but sure as heck if I don't.......
TV ready
Additional 12V outlet in the dinette area
Solar panel
Spray foam insulation, but not the 12V heat pads

Now, for some things I want to add:
Second set of taillights, to be above the bikes.
LED taillights if possible...don't see them on the options list
Light over table
120V GFI outlet on panel behind stove for our electric kettle
Haven't I seen some discussion of high lift axles? Is this the normal configuration now?
Maybe a larger 12V battery if it fits under the bench; don't think I need the 2 6V batteries.
1X4 reinforcements along the tops of most walls to enable installation of hooks & hangers
Rain hood over top the ceiling fan

Okay, any suggestions? Anything that I should definitely consider now because it's too hard to add later?

Thanks all,
Parker
Old 03-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #37

I would like to have, and have come close to having retro-fitted, a 12V DC and 120V AC outlets on the exterior. For now I just run a DC extension cord out the door or a window. Good for powering iPod dock or TV, whatever.

If you are fearful, you might want a switch on the inside for the porch light.

I'd not bother with the reinforcement for hooks and hangers. Get the 3M Command hooks instead. You can place them wherever required and remove them and put them elsewhere without leaving a mark.

Max Fan has a rain hood already. There is a standard GFI outlet next to the sink on my 17B.
Attached Thumbnails
3M Hook.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Here is the captain's light...

Okay, my picture isn't posting. I've done this before so what am I doing wrong here?

Help?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
We're getting ready to call Escape to try to find out what other options may be available that are not on their published list. It's been interesting to hear about all the things Reace can do, so if anyone has any additional thoughts, please let me know. Here's what we're planning right now:

LED captain lights.....anyone have them? What are they?

Now, for some things I want to add:
Second set of taillights, to be above the bikes.
LED taillights if possible...don't see them on the options list

Thanks all,
Parker
Parker

Here are a couple of photos, one of the LED captain lights over head of bed. They are great for night time reading and are on a swivel so you can direct the light away from bedm ate if they want to sleep when you want to read. Each has its own switch on the fixture. They also look quite nice IMHO.

The other is the second set of LED tail lights on our 15A. I think the extra tail lights are positioned vertically along the sides of the rear window for a 19'. Escape uses the same tail light fixture in both the regular position and for the extra. As I understand it to be.

High lift axle - only if you travel over very rough bush roads and need the small bit of extra clearance. Remember with the extra lift comes a higher step up into the trailer. Or if you need the extra height to hook up to two vehicle perhaps? I think you get about 1.5 inches of extra lift plus a larger rim/wheel size I think.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2674r.jpg   IMG_1529rr.jpg  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Parker

All the Escapes come with LED tail and running lights as standard. The high mount are opional; I paid $85 for mine last April. You end up with four tail lights two high and two low

You can't put a plug behind the stove but Reace has put plugs at the front of the counter by the stove for others; just ask him.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote