City Water Hose Connector - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
City Water Hose Connector

The plastic connector for the city water hose hookup has become increasingly difficult to turn and now it's nearly frozen. Does anyone know what would be causing it to bind and how to release it? Will forcing it damage it further?

The unit holding it and the fresh-water tank fill valve have been riveted into place and I'm hoping to not need to replace it. What can I expect to find if I do have to remove the unit?

Thanks for your help,

David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Warming it may help if frozen, if stuck then it may need replaced. Not sure if there is a plastic lubricant.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Water valve

When ours got a little sticky a couple years ago, I sprayed it down with silicone made by CRC that I got from an auto parts store. Left it alone for a day or two, them "exercised" it and it freed up. Doesn't seem to be any damage or deterioration two years later. That's what I did, YMMV.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Warming it may help if frozen, if stuck then it may need replaced. Not sure if there is a plastic lubricant.
It's hard to find but there is a food safe silicone lubricant spray made by CRC used for meat slicers and such. We used it with our previous trailer that also had a very difficult to use plastic hose piece. I've seen the spray at a few ACE hardware stores at times.
We normally use it when we make soap as some molds that have a lot of fine detail will not release right.It is safe for most plastics and rubber.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I've always put a Quick Connect for the hose on the city water. The male side of the quick connector stays permanently attached so you don't have to put undue stress on the plastic inlet screwing hoses on and off. Those city water inlets aren't the most robust items and get worse with lots of screwing hoses on and off. Plus it's a lot faster hooking up and unhooking the water hose. When you get it unstuck if not damaged you might want to check out the quick connect setup.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

Stuck not frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Evidently, frozen is not the right term for immovable. We are in FL so it's not frozen from the cold.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #7

I'll try the CRC silicone and if that works get the quick connect.
Thanks for your suggestions,
David
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Water hookup

I think there gets to be a deposit of lime or other residue in low clearance places. Maybe a little spray of lime away would help if you don't use silicone. We used products like that in the mechanical rooms at the city pools as the chlorine air would corrode things quickly. We used Fantastik a lot to keep chlorinator probes clean and reading accurately.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Any Home Depot has the Quick Connects for garden hose which is what I use. About $6 or $7 bucks.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
I'll try the CRC silicone and if that works get the quick connect.
Thanks for your suggestions,
David
Do you have the no-door version or the earlier version that Escape had with a door? The no-door works better so wonder if you have a problem with that one.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mine has a door. My problem is getting my fingers in there to attach the inlet to the hose. I've not had a problem with the threads. How likely is it that I could attach quick connect and still be able to close the door?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mine has a door. My problem is getting my fingers in there to attach the inlet to the hose. I've not had a problem with the threads. How likely is it that I could attach quick connect and still be able to close the door?
You would be very glad to have the new one. Maybe Escape could switch it for you some time. Or you could get your new TV and 19'.

Someone else will have to answer on the quick connect. Don't think we could shut the door.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Do you have the no-door version or the earlier version that Escape had with a door? The no-door works better so wonder if you have a problem with that one.
No door on our 2014 5.0TA.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had assumed you were still at home when you mentioned frozen, your whereabouts was unknown.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
The plastic connector for the city water hose hookup has become increasingly difficult to turn and now it's nearly frozen. Does anyone know what would be causing it to bind and how to release it? Will forcing it damage it further?

The unit holding it and the fresh-water tank fill valve have been riveted into place and I'm hoping to not need to replace it. What can I expect to find if I do have to remove the unit?

Thanks for your help,

David
If you are a bit handy and some of the other fixes to not work, just go to an rv place and buy a new one and install or have them do it...piece of cake. They are set up to unscrew from the camper plumbing and the new one screws on. Then caulk and attach to the trailer. Less than an hour total...
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #16

I wondered why you were in Massachusetts trying to move frozen city water. Well, if you have the no-door version, I wonder how many of us will have this problem. The no-door version is certainly a big improvement over the other one as far as how easy it is to use the city water. Assuming it moves!

Little House Customs sells the city flower set-up.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #17

Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I've always put a Quick Connect for the hose on the city water. The male side of the quick connector stays permanently attached so you don't have to put undue stress on the plastic inlet screwing hoses on and off. Those city water inlets aren't the most robust items and get worse with lots of screwing hoses on and off. Plus it's a lot faster hooking up and unhooking the water hose. When you get it unstuck if not damaged you might want to check out the quick connect setup.
Thanks to Greg and Iowa Dave, our problem seems to be solved. Letting the silicone spray sit overnight freed it up. Since connecting had always been a bit difficult, I added a brass quick-disconnect ($5.50 from Lowes). Had a little trouble stopping it from leaking, but added a second hose washer and so far so good.

The male piece of the q-d sticks out an inch or more, so I doubt that those with a cover would be able to close it. We're on the lookout for a cap that will fit on the q-d to keep out dirt and insects when not hooked up. We may get another female piece and use the existing plug in it, though it will stick out quite a bit.