Classic 21' Top-Center Break light not working - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Classic 21' Top-Center Break light not working

And so the kids are out of school for the summer and it is time to get the trailer prepped for the season...

In testing the break lights the top center cluster doesn't light (The other four clusters are working fine). I have tested for 12V power at the crimp connectors with my multi-meter and am not reading any power with break peddle pressed.

Anyone have a good wire diagram or ideas of what to check next?
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Did it ever do this, and is it supposed to? The top centre lamp is the wide vehicle identification cluster, which is legally required to be three lights on centre indicating that the vehicle is over 2 metres (80 inches) wide. Some lamps used for this also light up completely as a stop (brake) lamp, but that is superfluous on an Escape with top-corner lamps that also light up with the brakes; it would also require a circuit to decode the stop/turn signals into a stop-only signal (which are readily available, but one more thing to pay for and to go wrong). A car has a centre-mounted high level stop lamp, but a car has a circuit to operate it properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Did it ever do this, and is it supposed to? The top centre lamp is the wide vehicle identification cluster, which is legally required to be three lights on centre indicating that the vehicle is over 2 metres (80 inches) wide. Some lamps used for this also light up completely as a stop (brake) lamp, but that is superfluous on an Escape with top-corner lamps that also light up with the brakes; it would also require a circuit to decode the stop/turn signals into a stop-only signal (which are readily available, but one more thing to pay for and to go wrong). A car has a centre-mounted high level stop lamp, but a car has a circuit to operate it properly.
Hi Brian,
I should have also added that the center light does not light with the other running lights.

As I have not been able to get a 12V meter reading I wanted to trace the wire .. it may be spliced of the upper right turn light but i'm not able to easily determine due to cabinets blocking all access to the turn signal wiring.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
I should have also added that the center light does not light with the other running lights.
Okay, now we're in an entirely different situation. Yes, the ID group should light up with the running lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
As I have not been able to get a 12V meter reading I wanted to trace the wire .. it may be spliced of the upper right turn light but i'm not able to easily determine due to cabinets blocking all access to the turn signal wiring.
The wiring fault could be in the positive or negative wire. To determine which (assuming that would help reduce the size of the troubleshooting problem), you could use the meter (or a test lamp) and a long wire to test for continuity between the wire at the terminal and any known good running light circuit (+12V when on) and negative (battery negative or frame ground) points. Unfortunately, that still won't show which other lamp is the adjacent one in the circuit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote