CO Detector Wierdness - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
CO Detector Wierdness

In the last couple of days the CO detector in our 19 has started to act wierd. The LP alarm goes off for no apparent reason. I've checked and rechecked the LP system and can find nothing wrong. The unit is just over the replacement date, purchased April 28, 2011. Could the problem be due to the age of the unit or something more haywire?

We're in Site 87 at the rally if anyone would like to share suggestions or experiences.

Doug

NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When I was googling this, one article listed things that can set off detectors other than propane. "Hair spray, febreze, carpet cleaners, cooking sprays, and dog or human farts." Everyone that has a detector alarm that is going off probably needs to claim the dog was inside the trailer every time it happens.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Those detectors are certainly limited-life items. I would replace it before putting much effort into looking for other possible causes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Those detectors are certainly limited-life items. I would replace it before putting much effort into looking for other possible causes.
I agree. The thing wouldn't stop beeping so I disconnected it and will try and find a replacement. May have to wait until we get back home. I hope the next one is the same size as the original.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
I agree. The thing wouldn't stop beeping so I disconnected it and will try and find a replacement. May have to wait until we get back home. I hope the next one is the same size as the original.

Doug
Just an FYI. Due to having my own detector problems right now I had checked the manufacturers web site and saw they had 3 models. Two of which are surface mount. The 30 series, which is what Escape has in my trailer, and a bigger 40 series. Not seeing a difference in the write ups I called them, the difference is only in the size. One is square and one is rectangle, the square being $20 more!!!

Here's the one I have. Robot Check
Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; 2015 Silverado 1500 (5.3L, crew cab, standard box, 4X4, max tow, SnugTop shell)
We've had the same problems. They were intermittent but very frustrating. Two days ago after not being able to shut off the unit no matter how much fresh air I directed at it, I just cut the wires and ordered a replacement from Amazon.

One concern is that after cutting the wires, I lost 12V to a number of lights and outlets. I hope I just interrupted the circuit, but maybe I blew a fuse. I haven't checked yet.

Here's to hoping that I just had a malfunctioning or over sensitive CO detector and that the new one will play nice!
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We had one fail in our Rialta, it would just decide to beep at odd times and for no discernible reason. The good thing is that they are reasonably priced and replacement is easy, but I think that either their design or quality is questionable.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
One concern is that after cutting the wires, I lost 12V to a number of lights and outlets. I hope I just interrupted the circuit, but maybe I blew a fuse. I haven't checked yet.
Just off the top of my head but cutting the wires to the CO detector shouldn't interrupt power to other devices. There're not wired in series. Maybe you did blow a fuse if you snipped both wires at the same time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #7
So I'm able to report that I had a similar problem in the our 21.

I ordered a replacement, decided to change the color:
Amazon.com: MTI Industries 35742BL 12V CO/LP Gas Alarm: Automotive

and as this is a task that will be repeated every few years I changed the connectors to spade for easy replacement in the future:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:58 AM   #10

Interesting. My 15B was picked up just a month after the OP's unit, and the CO/ propane detector has started sounding...and being silenced, but neither have I been using it or I would have found a solution. It is almost a year past "end of life" so am expecting it to be replaced when I take my trailer in for a couple of other minor issues. Mrs Fixit I am not.

The learning curve of owning a trailer is long and steep and I think Reace rolls his eyes and takes a deep breath when I arrive, and I do intend to write a piece about all my lessons and misadventures to give hope to those who wonder WTH they have gotten into. I do love it though.

hermit is offline   Reply With Quote