CO from what - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
CO from what

Had the CO detector go off a while back. It is also a smoke detector. Did not see or smell smoke. Some kind of shrieking. Moved it from bed area to dinette area where two 6-volt batteries are under the bench and it has not gone off since.

We had not had the propane on this season so no cooking on the stove. No generator. Can CO be coming from inverter or converter or anything else?

This is the only time any detector has gone off in six years. Went off the only night the kitchen window was closed but vent was open. One time. That's it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Could be a dog or cat hair or dust bunny setting it off, which is why they say to vacuum the face plate.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #3

No dog or cat ever been in the trailer. I vacuum the trailer regularly but not that detector which is up high. I am wondering what else gives off CO if anyone knows.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Being plugged in shore power and thus charging the battery can cause an alarm. The units have a born on date, check that. I find it is easier to replace than diagnose, however there is not guarantee a replacement will fix it. On two occasions I have had to replace before the expiration date. They are just flaky.

You might get a replacement out of the manufacturer, check with them.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You are talking the CO/Smoke alarm as opposed to the CO/Propane alarm, correct?
Old 09-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
No dog or cat ever been in the trailer. I vacuum the trailer regularly but not that detector which is up high. I am wondering what else gives off CO if anyone knows.
CO is a byproduct of the burning of any fuel. In the trailer, the only fuel that is typically burned is propane (refrigerator, water heater, furnace, or stove). If the propane is valved off and noappliances are being used, it is highly unlikely that CO was generated inside the trailer. Dogs and cats do no produce CO. Neither do offgassing batteries as there is no carbon in battery acid. And electrical arcing generally produces ozone. Burning tobacco can produce small amounts of CO, but that would likely set of the smoke detector circuitry.
The alarm could be a result of infiltration from an outside source, either CO or smoke, even if the aroma of smoke cannot be detected. Since CO is nothing to fool around with, it is best to evacuate and air out the trailer. If, under the same circumstances in another location the alarm again goes off, it would be wise to replace the alarm. It very well could be malfunctioning. Any propane or CO alarm should be replaced periodically in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations even if they seem to be functioning normally.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Hi: float5... Heavy breathing!!! Sorry I couldn't resist. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You are talking the CO/Smoke alarm as opposed to the CO/Propane alarm, correct?
Yes, the propane detector is placed low where it belongs. CO detectors are to be placed higher and this one is high and is a combination smoke detector. I am not aware that our propane detector is also a CO detector.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I think you're right, my mistake. The dual CO/Propane alarm and the Propane only alarm look pretty much the same, after looking deeper part numbers differ though. 30 series vs 35 series.

Irregardless, it sounds like some of the answers you're getting are for the propane alarm.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
CO is a byproduct of the burning of any fuel. In the trailer, the only fuel that is typically burned is propane (refrigerator, water heater, furnace, or stove). If the propane is valved off and noappliances are being used, it is highly unlikely that CO was generated inside the trailer. Dogs and cats do no produce CO. Neither do offgassing batteries as there is no carbon in battery acid. And electrical arcing generally produces ozone. Burning tobacco can produce small amounts of CO, but that would likely set of the smoke detector circuitry.
The alarm could be a result of infiltration from an outside source, either CO or smoke, even if the aroma of smoke cannot be detected. Since CO is nothing to fool around with, it is best to evacuate and air out the trailer. If, under the same circumstances in another location the alarm again goes off, it would be wise to replace the alarm. It very well could be malfunctioning. Any propane or CO alarm should be replaced periodically in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations even if they seem to be functioning normally.
This is what I thought on needing a propane source basically and no propane had been used this year with bottles always closed. I did wonder about possible smoke, but again, nothing was there that I know that could generate smoke either. Very glad to get your explanation which sounds as if it could not have been CO. No one had a trailer by me, only one across the road. Thank you so much!

My only guess was possibly batteries but wondered how one would have CO. Would not. Thank you.

Trailer is only two years old but I do know that some propane detectors have gone bad within a few months.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I think you're right, my mistake. The dual CO/Propane alarm and the Propane only alarm look pretty much the same, after looking deeper part numbers differ though. 30 series vs 35 series.

Irregardless, it sounds like some of the answers you're getting are for the propane alarm.
Bob, should have realized that you were referring to the propane/CO detector that some have and so did we in the 19'. Can't believe they even manufactured that. In the 21', those are separate as they should be.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: float5... Heavy breathing!!! Sorry I couldn't resist. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, you're hopeless!!