coffee and sat radio - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Coleman stove top coffee maker for me.
2 new group 27 batteries, a 1500 watt inverter (new and installed by Escape, and a 90 watt solar panel (installed by Escape) all went to 40% after one electric drip coffee cycle and stayed there in cloudy weather conditions for 6 days.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #22

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
In the mornings when off the grid we turn on our inverter, grind some beans in an electric grinder, then make 4 cups of java in our small Cuisinart coffee maker (purchased from London Drugs). Have to look at the specs on the pot to give you the watts but it's not much for the 1,500 watt inverter. We may leave the coffee pot on for 10 minutes max after brewing so it may reheat twice or so. The dual 6v batteries drop about 6-8% from this (which easily get topped up from the solar panel during the day).
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Coleman stove top coffee maker for me.
2 new group 27 batteries, a 1500 watt inverter (new and installed by Escape, and a 90 watt solar panel (installed by Escape) all went to 40% after one electric drip coffee cycle and stayed at 40% in cloudy weather conditions for 6 days.
Needless to say we were disappointed in the whole 1500 watt inverter business. The electric perk coffee maker is why we bought into the inverter in the first place.

In our case; No direct sunshine = no (really slow) battery re-charge ..... so use your inverter wisely.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Inverters, IMHO, are inefficient use of 12volts. Converting 12v to 120v is somewhat incongruous with camping. If you have hookups great, if you do not, you adapt.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Inverters, IMHO, are inefficient use of 12volts. Converting 12v to 120v is somewhat incongruous with camping. If you have hookups great, if you do not, you adapt.
I agree. Especially when it is so easy to do almost everything without 120V. A/C if you need it, is about the only exception.

But, while this is the case for me and our style of trailer camping, many others have different desires.

It all comes down to what we want out of our RVing experience, and as long as you are getting out, that is the main thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #26

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
It's been a while , and I don't have a link for you .....( that would take a DonnaD or a GBaglo ).... There has been a "study" that found the boiling kettle with a cone filter method makes the very best cup of coffee .
Old 11-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
It's been a while , and I don't have a link for you .....( that would take a DonnaD or a GBaglo ).... There has been a "study" that found the boiling kettle with a cone filter method makes the very best cup of coffee .
Good -- I like that study then, as that is the method we use. We used to have a small French Press but dealing with the grounds was always a pain.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
I don't know what the efficiency level is of inverters, but I would bet there is quite a bit of energy loss in most of them. I think sine wave inverters are by far the most efficient but also the highest cost. Jon V would know I am sure.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I usually use an aeropress at home and then bring it when we go camping, and it's absolutely perfect for me to have one cup of coffee, but I recently bought a GSI percolator to make coffee for multiple people. A couple of times we've camped with a group and everyone forgot coffee but me, and using the aeropress a bunch of times in a row to make coffee for several people is not fun! I bought the 12 cup percolator, and I'm loving the coffee it makes, possibly more than the aeropress, plus it's fast and easy. My grandmother had a stovetop percolator; sometimes old tech is good tech.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #30

I too pretty much only use the Aeropress for camping, and have for about 8 or more years now. I have used it a lot at home too, and it is great for taking on canoe trips. It can make two largish cups of Americano at a time. I have made coffee for more than the two of us a few times, and it is a bit of a production, but I never have a problem finding volunteers to do the grinding, as most of my friends like the roasts I do.

Sometimes when there is a big group, I will coarsely grind the beans, and do up a pot of cowboy coffee, which done right, tastes great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sometimes when there is a big group, I will coarsely grind the beans, and do up a pot of cowboy coffee, which done right, tastes great.
Depends on the cowboy. Worst coffee I ever had was made in the dark, over a campfire. The guy dumped grounds from a three pound can into the pot. He had no idea how much went into the black pot, silhouetted against the flames.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Here's how I roll — I mean grind and brew. Trust me, if you're as much as a coffee snob as I am then I'd like to see (and taste) a better setup than this.

Amazon.com: Hario Coffee Mill Slim Grinder, Mini: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Clever Coffee Dripper (L): Kitchen & Dining
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetim View Post
Here's how I roll — I mean grind and brew. Trust me, if you're as much as a coffee snob as I am then I'd like to see (and taste) a better setup than this.

Amazon.com: Hario Coffee Mill Slim Grinder, Mini: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Clever Coffee Dripper (L): Kitchen & Dining
GRINDER
Porlex Tall Hand Mill - Manual - Grinders
EXTRACTOR
AeroPress Coffee Maker - Aeropress - Brewers
ROASTER
Behmor 1600 Roaster - Drum Roasters - Coffee Roasters

I have used a Hario grinder, which worked very good. but the grind quality started to diminish after 3 years used for camping (car, canoe and skiing) only. This spring I picked up the Porlex and find I like it just a bit better, other than it tests the strength of the grip hand a bit more because it is smooth. It fits in the AeroPress for compact storage too.

I have the small Clever Coffee Dripper which I do like too, I prefer the AeroPress a bit more. Would not turn down a good cup brewed either way. Just picked it up earlier this year too. I would like to find a gold filter for it, as I prefer the taste more than with a paper filter, as it produces a bolder taste. I use THIS filter in THIS brewer at home when we want to make a quick pot. That filter is a #4 which fits in the Large Clever Dripper, which has me thinking about getting it too the next time I order more green beans.

I use THIS stainless filter in my AeroPress instead of a paper filter for the same reason.

I do loves my coffee.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You guys really love your coffee, I'm surprised you guys do not grow your own coffee beans……...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #35

Quote:
You guys really love your coffee, I'm surprised you guys do not grow your own coffee beans……...
You know, I would if they would grow here.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
We use the AeroPress as linked from Jim Bennet's post. We also have a one cup Keurig we somethimes bring when hooked up, but the Aeropress makes the best coffee and the ritual is part of our camping experience.

Our Nissan insulated cups keep it nice and hot so I don't drink it too fast.

RE: Satellite radio, we have a XMP3 with a house kit, and both 12v and 115 v power cords for it. The antenna can sit inside the trailer since the signal goes through fibreglass.

But I have not hooked it up in the Escape yet, we used it in the Casita.

PS: we have Dish Network which includes Sirius XM music, so we might just decide to use that when we have deployed the tailgater, and use the XMP3 for when we don't.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
... and the ritual is part of our camping experience.
This is what I find too. Even when I started grinding manually to get a fresh grind, at first it seemed mundane, but to get that nice fresh cup to enjoy. it all became part of a ritualistic experience that I now look forward too.

I would willingly drink a cup of almost any coffee, truth be told, I just take solace in that nice fresh cup. For others it may not be coffee, but there is always something of a ritual we find comfort in.

The best cup of coffee ever, is that one you make fresh, and drink sitting alone by the waters edge, contemplating life while watching the sun rise. Ahhh......
Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is what I find too. Even when I started grinding manually to get a fresh grind, at first it seemed mundane, but to get that nice fresh cup to enjoy. it all became part of a ritualistic experience that I now look forward too.

I would willingly drink a cup of almost any coffee, truth be told, I just take solace in that nice fresh cup. For others it may not be coffee, but there is always something of a ritual we find comfort in.

The best cup of coffee ever, is that one you make fresh, and drink sitting alone by the waters edge, contemplating life while watching the sun rise. Ahhh......
Not sure it is fair to paint such a picture when we're looking a Calgary's weather ....
Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Not sure it is fair to paint such a picture when we're looking a Calgary's weather ....
I'm a dreamer, Gabi.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #40

We too ..... but it's all months away now...... awe gee ......