Command hooks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Command hooks

Is anyone else having trouble getting Command hooks to stick? I've cleaned the walls with alcohol, pressed and held the hook in place and they still fall off. I haven't tried hard,but high bond tape didn't stick either. Any suggestions?
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Is anyone else having trouble getting Command hooks to stick? I've cleaned the walls with alcohol, pressed and held the hook in place and they still fall off. I haven't tried hard,but high bond tape didn't stick either. Any suggestions?
I've never cleaned the surface with anything and I've never had a problem with them sticking. What are you trying to stick to?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We only use them on the fiberglass, Ginger. You would have to remove them carefully elsewhere but it can be done.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I just have a problem taking them off! The little piece that hangs down always rips off for me. Never had a problem with 'em sticking - either right away or later. I've used them on the wood, fiberglass and vinyl walls. Both large and small sizes. Are you following the directions?

Weird, if you are, that they're not working.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

I use them on any hard surface, but you must follow and save the instructions for removal, or you will cause damage to the 'oak' panels.
Attached Thumbnails
3M hook removal 1.jpg   3M hook removal 2.jpg   3M hook removal 3.jpg   3M Hook.jpg  
Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #6

This really confuses me! I've put them on the oak panel and a day or two later they are on the floor. I use them all over my house with no problems. Maybe it's a bad batch. I've got another package that I will try. Thanks for input.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
This really confuses me! I've put them on the oak panel and a day or two later they are on the floor. I use them all over my house with no problems. Maybe it's a bad batch. I've got another package that I will try. Thanks for input.
Hmmm. I wonder if maybe you are not pulling off the right part?? That is unusual for sure. That is papery stuff you are putting them on and you are lucky that they did not just take some of that papery stuff with them.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Ginger, you could have a 'bad batch', but make sure you prep/clean the surface with some Isopropyl Alcohol, and that you press and hold the strip firmly in place for at least 30 seconds. I've never had one fail doing that.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #9

And the adhesive pad is marked for "wall side".
Old 07-30-2017, 11:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
Maybe it's the climate/temperature. I live in an area where it is extremely hot in the summer and I have trouble with them coming off too. Have had the same problem with using VHB tape. Stays on great till summer hits, then off they come once summer has arrived in full swing.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
Maybe it's the climate/temperature. I live in an area where it is extremely hot in the summer and I have trouble with them coming off too. Have had the same problem with using VHB tape. Stays on great till summer hits, then off they come once summer has arrived in full swing.
Maybe that is the reason. It has been around 95F in north Texas.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:18 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have a couple in the closet on the plywood wall, they've each fallen off one and one of them twice. They were applied correctly. I have others on easier to access areas that have not come off.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #13

It is eithet bad batch or the heat, because I've followed all the rules. May have to go worth permanent attachment. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The 3M Command adhesive specification sheet states that the adhesive may soften and/or release above 105F. Easy to hit that inside a closed trailer in storage many places.

I use VHB tape (3M RP45) for my products, rated to 200F for that very reason. Available in small quantities & various sizes on Amazon.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The 3M Command adhesive specification sheet states that the adhesive may soften and/or release above 105F. Easy to hit that inside a closed trailer in storage many places.

I use VHB tape (3M RP45) for my products, rated to 200F for that very reason. Available in small quantities & various sizes on Amazon.
That's always an option. A little RP45, cut to the same size as a command strip, with maybe a little extra on one end to grab for removal, will work with the command hooks, soap dish, etc. It's trickier to take off, but you may find that it can be removed without damaging the surface using the same technique as the command strips to remove it - stretching it parallel to the surface instead of pulling it up.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #16

I'll try the vhb with the hooks. I may have one thing hung with that still holding on. thanks. There's always cup hooks
Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's always an option. A little RP45, cut to the same size as a command strip, with maybe a little extra on one end to grab for removal, will work with the command hooks, soap dish, etc. It's trickier to take off, but you may find that it can be removed without damaging the surface using the same technique as the command strips to remove it - stretching it parallel to the surface instead of pulling it up.
RP45 means the tape is 0.045 inches thick. I use that because it's thick enough to get a piece of dental floss next to it and use that as a rope saw to cut through the tape. Once your part is removed, it will usually roll up to remove it and the residue cleans up with acetone or "Goof Off"

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 1999 Jayco heritage Cascade
I read a thread today on the Scamp FB page I believe that discusses how many of them are having problems, too. I'm thinking this may be a problem for many and not for a few.
Misc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
Hi, just retired after 38 years with 3M, most recently in the division that makes VHB, and have lots of friends in the division that makes Command strips. My first advice is to always follow directions. Some of the products mentioned have different adhesives on each side, so be careful which side goes where. Surface prep is always important.

Another great option is to call 3M and ask to speak with 'Technical Service' in IATD ( Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Division) for VHB, or for Command someone in CHIMD (construction and home improvement division). You will get experts on each product line who can give you some great advice, and sometimes also free stuff.

My wife and I have used a lot of Command in our 5.0ta, and also some VHB to hold a handle onto our sliding screen door.

A word on vinyl. Vinyl is not just a plastic, but is most often a compounded mixture with PVC, plasticizers, stabilizers, etc. You are likely familiar with PVC piping used in your house and in your Escape, but that is the rigid variety. To get the soft, pliable vinyl on the interior of your Escape these additives must be included. These additives, though, can migrate out of the vinyl, and go right into the adhesive. Or, sometimes, if not strongly compatible with the adhesive, can right to the interface between the vinyl and the adhesive. I would strongly advise not using either VHB nor Command on a soft vinyl material. The 'oak' wallpaper inside the Escape could also be a vinyl film (I am not sure), but we have plenty of Command on that surface. George
Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #20
Site Team

Great info George, some good insights also on vinyl, and also the need to read the instructions and prep the surface. As long as we have followed the directions, applied it on an appropriate surface, and prepped the surface, we have never had a command strip fail.