Condensation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Condensation

We are camped near Nashville tonight. The outside temperature is upper 30's, inside is 65. Joanne just discovered that the upper cabinets are dripping wet from condensation. I was tempted to blame it on the windows since we have the double insulation but the single pane slider windows up there. But then I found that the walls behind the dinette cushions are also quite wet. I have a dri-Eze container, but it isn't keeping up. Is there anything else I can do? Or is this a cold weather camping problem we just have to live with?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Can we assume that you have cracked open the Maxx fan and a window or two? That helps.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Open your Maxx Fan slightly to vent out the moisture you are creating. Know it sounds crazy as cold as it is, but you need a way to get rid of it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Open the cupboard doors (aren't we glad they have "hold ups.") Equalize cupboard temps to main trailer temps. It may look weird, but you don't want to have difference in storage spaces with those kind of temperature swings.

Otherwise pay attention to others posts (and quit breathing and cooking inside).... just kidding!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 19'
We've noticed that too. Seems like the vinyl gets cold and when you add high humidity .... drips. The 'rat fur' in our Scamp was the butt of many jokes but seemed warmer and we never saw condensation on it (maybe impossible to see?). They installed 1 layer of reflectix behind it too.

I did some checking and the Reflectix 'added' as part of the extra installation package is rated as R-1. It looks to me like the foam on bonded to the vinyl adds a bit too. Maybe R-2.5 total?

Will be interesting to hear how other folks deal with it.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
As Donna said, ventilate by opening the Maxxfan and stop breathing until you no longer see any condensation.
Your body loses about a pint of water a day simply by breathing. That warm, moist air condenses on cool surfaces. If there are two of you, that's two pints.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As Donna said, ventilate by opening the Maxxfan and stop breathing until you no longer see any condensation.
Your body loses about a pint of water a day simply by breathing. That warm, moist air condenses on cool surfaces. If there are two of you, that's two pints.
And if you have kitchen opening window open a little and I guess besides Max fan any window opened just a little we found helps . Also opening cabinets is a good idea .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
With our old trailer we resorted to running the air conditioner, which removes the moisture but turns it stone cold. Someone suggested running the heat at the same time, sounded like a plan. Before we could try that out I bought one of these. A bit drastic, but If you have the room, and you have hookups, it works well. In the 5.0TA it fits nicely inside the step. I should add that it does heat up the trailer, which in summer can be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
dehumidifier.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Air movement is critical in the winter, vents in cabinets or opening them, air around the cushions, I'd reverse them in the winter and keep the vinyl away from the wall, that traps the air.
A couple of vents around the dinette to below will help to equalize the temperature via air movement. The MaxxFan is just as important in the winter as the summer.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
We are camped near Nashville tonight. The outside temperature is upper 30's, inside is 65. Joanne just discovered that the upper cabinets are dripping wet from condensation. I was tempted to blame it on the windows since we have the double insulation but the single pane slider windows up there. But then I found that the walls behind the dinette cushions are also quite wet. I have a dri-Eze container, but it isn't keeping up. Is there anything else I can do? Or is this a cold weather camping problem we just have to live with?
Hi: captmath... We have double ins. pkg. with single pane windows too!!! The double pane windows in the bed loft wouldn't open otherwise. Ventilation is the key to condensation...so they say. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030901.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0
We added hydravent behind all our cushions, under the bed and in closets that store towels and clothes. When we wake up in the morning we can quickly wipe down what needs it, open all the cabinet doors and turn on the heating strip in the airconditioner, lovely dry heat blowing around the trailer drying everything out.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
The next place to look for un-wanted condensation is your bed mattresses. I speak from year around living aboard various sailboats. The bottom side of my mattress foam would get quite wet from condensation caused from my body heat warming up the mattress foam which was placed against "cold" hull or bunk bottom structures. The best solution I found was to wrap the foam in plastic sheeting and stuff back into the upholstery covers. This worked great but I could never get used to the crunch and rattle of the plastic whenever I turned over at night. Then I tried those snap together tiles that form a grate. They worked pretty good but nothing worked quite as good as moving to a warm climate.
StarvingHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Is Juneau considered a "warm" climate? I guess it is when compared to Fairbanks, but when we say "warm" I think we're using the term a bit differently than Alaskans are.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Is Juneau considered a "warm" climate? I guess it is when compared to Fairbanks, but when we say "warm" I think we're using the term a bit differently than Alaskans are.
Hoping Juneau is reasonably warm when we head there in June. At least getting near 20°C (68°F) for a high, but will be happy with anything close to that. We are used to having to dress to suit the weather. Cooler for many of us northern folk beats the craps outta too hot, where fully undressed is still unbearable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post

I did some checking and the Reflectix 'added' as part of the extra installation package is rated as R-1. It looks to me like the foam on bonded to the vinyl adds a bit too. Maybe R-2.5 total?
R5
Points to Ponder
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was cpaharley2008 that when ordering his trailer had the mattress cut down by several inches so it would not be against the outside wall of the trailer. I have been toying with the idea as anything to have less condensation would help. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #17

No touching, more air, no condensation.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No touching, more air, no condensation.
So what you are saying is that this has worked out well for you and you would recommend it? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #19

Yes, but I also immediately installed the hyper mesh underneath the mattress and on the one side and front walls. No condensation, but not sure if it is because on one or both changes. You can try it without the mesh and report back.