Condensation - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Now why didn't I think of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Nothing, but realize without the filter any bug/insect has a direct egress into your unit if the fan is off and the vent is open.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #42

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A little feedback

Been tooling around Florida this month, as all the state parks have electric we brought along our 15 pint Newair dehumidifier expecting humid Florida weather. The actual weather turnef out to range from the 30's to the 70's, humidity from relatively dry to down right soggy, clear blue skies to monsoons.

When running the dehumidifer in any weather the trailer remained bone dry, without it we had the typical wet walls in the tyiical places. So the dehumidifier certainly does it's job and we're glad we had it. It fits perfectly in the 5.0TA's under stair storage.

The only issue is when running, it gives off heat. On warm nights we had to put the air conditioner on. the combination worked fine.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Been tooling around Florida this month, as all the state parks have electric we brought along our 15 pint Newair dehumidifier expecting humid Florida weather. The actual weather turnef out to range from the 30's to the 70's, humidity from relatively dry to down right soggy, clear blue skies to monsoons.

When running the dehumidifer in any weather the trailer remained bone dry, without it we had the typical wet walls in the tyiical places. So the dehumidifier certainly does it's job and we're glad we had it. It fits perfectly in the 5.0TA's under stair storage.

The only issue is when running, it gives off heat. On warm nights we had to put the air conditioner on. the combination worked fine.
I see there are several models, running at different price points. Can you give a model number for yours, or perhaps share a picture? Inquiring minds want to know
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bob,
My parents retired to Florida in the 80's and 90's and when visiting them in the winter it was quite pleasant, cool and dry, but in the summer it was horrible. You had to avoid the outside humidity and sun and just stayed indoors, like we do up here in the winter. Your air conditioner will dehumidify, just watch the condensation drip down your window. I would only use the dehumidifier in the hotter months in an unoccupied space, like a basement. Otherwise your a/c will cool and dehumidify, together. The heat in the dehumidifier helps eliminate the humidity but as you point out necessitates the need to turn on the a/c which will perform both tasks.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #45

Donna, mine should be the same as yours but I don't have the manual with me. Can't do pictures from my phone. I believe it's the Penguin II. If I fire up the laptop I'll post a pic.

Jim, while the a/c does take out some of the humidity, I have no intention of running it when it's already cool in the trailer. And don't think it can't get humid in fL in February, should have felt it during this weeks storms. Felt downright soggy to these yankees.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Donna, mine should be the same as yours but I don't have the manual with me. Can't do pictures from my phone. I believe it's the Penguin II. If I fire up the laptop I'll post a pic.
No not the A/C, but the dehumidifier. Model?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #47

Oops, AD-250

25 pint, not 15.

http://www.amazon.com/NewAir-AD-250-.../dp/B002NXVWGS

Someone else here had found another small dehumidifier, theirs you could give it a setting whereas the Newair is just on or off, but it works fine.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your air conditioner will dehumidify, just watch the condensation drip down your window. I would only use the dehumidifier in the hotter months in an unoccupied space, like a basement. Otherwise your a/c will cool and dehumidify, together. The heat in the dehumidifier helps eliminate the humidity but as you point out necessitates the need to turn on the a/c which will perform both tasks.
The dehumidifier doesn't remove humidity just because of the heat - the heat is just an inevitable side effect. A dehumidifier removes moisture the same way as an air conditioner - it cools the air to below the dew point so the water condenses and drains out - but the dehumidifier puts the heat back into the interior air, while the air conditioner dumps it outside.

I agree that the dehumidifier seems superfluous if you're running an air conditioner, and the extra heat will make the air conditioner work more, but if the air conditioner isn't getting enough water out by itself maybe the combination is worth trying. It makes sense to me to try one at a time (which one depending on temperature) first.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #49
J&G

Trailer: Escape 19
Question for those of you who are using Hypervent under the bench cushions, is it thick enough that you can see it along the edge of the cushions, or do the cushions hide it?
J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #50

You cut it any way you want, if you want full coverage it will be seen, otherwise cut it shorter and it will remain unseen, personal preference.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Would you not leave it't edge exposed so that the air could freely flow?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #52

good point.....but sometimes your significant other will point out, "Do we have to see that ugly stuff you put down?"
Old 08-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I don't see it working good if you cant see a edge
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9574.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 19'
Final Thoughts on the HyperVent

For the product to work properly, you need to ensure you allow air to flow in the newly created space underneath your mattress. If the mattress is pushed up against a wall, or the sides are covered with a heavy blanket, air won’t be able to flow through the HyperVent.

Like many RVs, our bedroom is on the small side. The head of the mattress pushes up against the wall. In an effort to increase airflow we have gotten in the habit of pulling the mattress away from the wall by just a few inches. We also fold the covers up and away from the sides of mattress to allow air to flow under the mattress and through the HyperVent.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #55
J&G

Thanks. The edge doesn't look too bad to me.
J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #56

Crack the max fan a turn or two and open a window at the end of the bed where your head is maybe 1/4" is all.. Works well
Bluegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote