Condensation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our mattress seems to have been cut smaller to have room around it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Thanks, Loren! Did open.
!
The range hood fan is very weak. If you stand outside when it's running you'll see that it barely moves the flap. We clothespin it wide open. Removes more air and the clothespin is a visual reminder to lock the flap again.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I don't remember if you use the front as your bed as I do. I've started leaving the rock shield closed at night, (sort of a thermal effect I guess), open the awning windows at both ends of the bed and crack open the Maxx Fan. So far the front window remains dry and no condensation to be found elsewhere.
I second this. Although I never close the rock shield (unless super windy), I do keep both front windows and the Maxx fan cracked open and have had no issues with condensation.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The range hood fan is very weak.
Weird. Sounds like a jet engine in a testing bay, which is why I don't use it. I just turn on the MaxxFan when using the stove.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #25

We have a vinyl cover around the mattress from Bed, Bath. Hope that keeps anything off of it. Need air moving into the trailer and other air moving out so a couple of windows and Maxx open a little.

Never see anyone suggest using a fan but we have a little 12V fan that can help move air after getting up. Turning Maxx fan on when getting up for a couple of minutes might help.

Lindy and Leon were nice enough to give us their extra Hypervent which we have under dinette cushions. That stuff is thick and tough!

We steam a lot of food so we always use the stove vent and Maxx is open. And, of course, our kitchen awning window is always open, rain or not!

QUOTE=EDarby;117985] I pulled up the mattress and noticed that the fitted sheet on the wall side was wet. The mattress is bulky but I was able to lift enough to see what looks like mold already starting on the front inside wall. Eeek! I wiped down, kept the mattress lifted to dry. Removed sheet and will take to laundramat but am wondering about that condensation. I use my max fan every time I am stopped, always use the range top fan when boiling water.

I've had the Escape less than a month. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to make it right? Many months left on this journey.
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Our mattress seems to have been cut smaller to have room around it.
I've wondered about that myself. We push the mattress up tight against the bathroom wall and pull it down a little, away from the front wall. That seems to leave about a one to two inch gap as to where the mattress and bedding do not have to touch the outside walls. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I've wondered about that myself. We push the mattress up tight against the bathroom wall and pull it down a little, away from the front wall. That seems to leave about a one to two inch gap as to where the mattress and bedding do not have to touch the outside walls. Loren
And, in fact, as I am sure you saw, if you do not pull the mattress away from the front wall, it will not cover some of the platform at the foot. At least, ours does not.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B
I have found that if the filter is removed from the stove hood fan, it moves a large amount of air. It is also very loud and draws quite a bit of current, which motivates one to shut it off the moment it is not needed.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Too bad we didn't see this post before you left the Pacific Northwest. Hypervent is sold out of Marysville, WA (http://www.hyperventmarine.com/contact.html). We picked up ours on our way to Chilliwack. Also obtained an "egg crate" mattress topper which is much more comfortable than any other egg crate out there.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Too bad we didn't see this post before you left the Pacific Northwest. Hypervent is sold out of Marysville, WA (HyperVent Marine - Say Goodbye to marine condensation). We picked up ours on our way to Chilliwack. Also obtained an "egg crate" mattress topper which is much more comfortable than any other egg crate out there.
thanks for the link! Did you (and others) purchase enough to line the walls around the mattress? Under the dinette seats?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I bought enough to go around the mattress and under, did not do the dinette area.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Grrrrrreat info - thanks Ron, I will do that. Parked at a Walmart tonight, perfect place to get clothespins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The range hood fan is very weak. If you stand outside when it's running you'll see that it barely moves the flap. We clothespin it wide open. Removes more air and the clothespin is a visual reminder to lock the flap again.

Ron
Old 11-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #33

Hi Karen! Good stuff to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I second this. Although I never close the rock shield (unless super windy), I do keep both front windows and the Maxx fan cracked open and have had no issues with condensation.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #34

Mine's kind of noisy, too, Glenn, not jet engine noisy but noisy. I'm going to try to put the kettle on the smaller burner in front (though it takes quite a while to boil on the larger burner) and see if the MaxxFan will pull it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Weird. Sounds like a jet engine in a testing bay, which is why I don't use it. I just turn on the MaxxFan when using the stove.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #35

I too use a clip on the vent lid in rainy and cold weather to have a source of fresh air when the windows are closed but the MaxxFan is on exhaust.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #36

I didn't get the kitchen window but getting the Hypervent and trying all other suggestions. My only Build Sheet regret so far: I should have ordered an exterior 12V plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We have a vinyl cover around the mattress from Bed, Bath. Hope that keeps anything off of it. Need air moving into the trailer and other air moving out so a couple of windows and Maxx open a little.

Never see anyone suggest using a fan but we have a little 12V fan that can help move air after getting up. Turning Maxx fan on when getting up for a couple of minutes might help.

Lindy and Leon were nice enough to give us their extra Hypervent which we have under dinette cushions. That stuff is thick and tough!

We steam a lot of food so we always use the stove vent and Maxx is open. And, of course, our kitchen awning window is always open, rain or not!
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #37

My mattress fits pretty tight on all three walls. I'm thinking about getting some things to act as a shims to leave gaps. When I'm doing my clothespin shopping tonight, will see what I can find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Old 11-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #38

Hummm, that sounds like a possibility. Does it hurt anything to remove the filter? What needs to be filtered if it blowing outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I have found that if the filter is removed from the stove hood fan, it moves a large amount of air. It is also very loud and draws quite a bit of current, which motivates one to shut it off the moment it is not needed.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #39

That's ok, Jan, I'm going to have it shipped to my friend in CA. Where did you get your egg crate mattresss topper? Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Too bad we didn't see this post before you left the Pacific Northwest. Hypervent is sold out of Marysville, WA (HyperVent Marine - Say Goodbye to marine condensation). We picked up ours on our way to Chilliwack. Also obtained an "egg crate" mattress topper which is much more comfortable than any other egg crate out there.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Hummm, that sounds like a possibility. Does it hurt anything to remove the filter? What needs to be filtered if it blowing outside?
Nothing, but realize without the filter any bug/insect has a direct egress into your unit if the fan is off and the vent is open.