Condensation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Condensation

So . . . on my way to Corte Madera, CA and stopped at a Cabela's parking lot for the night. Received permission from the greeter but nevertheless, at 12:30 a.m., had a knock on the door from the security guard telling me I had to leave.

Drove across the highway to Fred Meyer, woke up this morning, went to leave and could not find my keys. After searching everything I could think of, I pulled up the mattress and noticed that the fitted sheet on the wall side was wet. The mattress is bulky but I was able to lift enough to see what looks like mold already starting on the front inside wall. Eeek! I wiped down, kept the mattress lifted to dry. Removed sheet and will take to laundramat but am wondering about that condensation. I use my max fan every time I am stopped, always use the range top fan when boiling water.

I've had the Escape less than a month. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to make it right? Many months left on this journey.

And may not be able to respond to replies for a day or so because of access to wifi.

Thank you!!!
p.s. Found keys after over an hour of searching!!!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

p.s. Did a search but couldn't find anything. Possibly searching wrong but have had results in the past.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I don't remember if you use the front as your bed as I do. I've started leaving the rock shield closed at night, (sort of a thermal effect I guess), open the awning windows at both ends of the bed and crack open the Maxx Fan. So far the front window remains dry and no condensation to be found elsewhere.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Yes, I do use the front as my bed. Always have the rock shield closed.

I have been using the furnace every night (40's -- I'm a cold baby).

Will crack open the Maxx Fan and trying opening the windows.

Thanks, Pat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I don't remember if you use the front as your bed as I do. I've started leaving the rock shield closed at night, (sort of a thermal effect I guess), open the awning windows at both ends of the bed and crack open the Maxx Fan. So far the front window remains dry and no condensation to be found elsewhere.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Something along this line will do the trick.

DryMesh Anti-moisture Layer - Marine Bedding
Old 11-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #6

Looks great! Did you order from England? I couldn't find a place in the U.S. with this product.
Thanks padlin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Something along this line will do the trick.

DryMesh Anti-moisture Layer - Marine Bedding
Old 11-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
There used to be a supplier for DryMesh in the US, but they became unresponsive to requests, and the website (drymesh.net) no longer exists. I have DryMesh under my permanent bed in my Escape 17B, and love the stuff. Wish some US supplier would pick it up. I suggested it to Orbital Machine Works, a company that does modifications to Casitas, but it was something they were not interested in handling.

Hypervent is a similar product, although a bit thicker, and stiffer. A friend that used it said it was scratching the table top, while the DryMesh is soft enough that it doesn't.

In either case, the material provides an airspace between the mattress & the walls & table top that reduces condensation.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Ellen, boiling water creates a lot of moister into the air and the range hood should take care of most of it. But, after being out with the trailer for a few days and giving it a good going over I discovered that there were two little tabs holding the flapper on the stove vent closed so it wouldn't be flapping in the wind while traveling. These are outside under the shroud. In that case, the vent is not removing steam from the stove. Check to see that these are open when using the stove so that it can vent. And remember to secure it when hitting the road. Also, having the vent in the shower open and running is an absolute must while showering. Things and systems are a little different on trailers than our houses and in my opinion, more complicated.

There is a fairly lengthy article on condensation in the owners manual and keeping moister under control is the key. I used our trailer in some upper 20 degree F weather at night and I cracked the max fan vent about an inch and turned up the heat to compensate. I also opened the hatch under the bed to keep it heated under there and really didn't have a problem. Hope this helps, and as I said before, I really admire you gals out there with trailers. Happy camping. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can't help with where to get it, don't need it in the fifth wheel. Could try some carpeting.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
For drainage applications in geotechnical engineering, I have often used a product called "geo net", which would likely work well to act as a separator between the side walls of your trailer and your mattress, or even underneath your mattress.

I have seen the geo net product by itself without a geotextile cover, or with non-woven geotextile fabric on one or two sides of the geo net.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ellen,

Get over to Phoenix. Everythings dry here.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

That's great, Jon! Put it in the cart and will complete as soon as I get back to the Escape and measure. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
There used to be a supplier for DryMesh in the US, but they became unresponsive to requests, and the website (drymesh.net) no longer exists. I have DryMesh under my permanent bed in my Escape 17B, and love the stuff. Wish some US supplier would pick it up. I suggested it to Orbital Machine Works, a company that does modifications to Casitas, but it was something they were not interested in handling.

Hypervent is a similar product, although a bit thicker, and stiffer. A friend that used it said it was scratching the table top, while the DryMesh is soft enough that it doesn't.

In either case, the material provides an airspace between the mattress & the walls & table top that reduces condensation.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #13

Thanks, Loren! Did open. But forgot to close when moving Thanks for the reminder. Yes, always use the fan when showering. Good reminders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Ellen, boiling water creates a lot of moister into the air and the range hood should take care of most of it. But, after being out with the trailer for a few days and giving it a good going over I discovered that there were two little tabs holding the flapper on the stove vent closed so it wouldn't be flapping in the wind while traveling. These are outside under the shroud. In that case, the vent is not removing steam from the stove. Check to see that these are open when using the stove so that it can vent. And remember to secure it when hitting the road. Also, having the vent in the shower open and running is an absolute must while showering. Things and systems are a little different on trailers than our houses and in my opinion, more complicated.

There is a fairly lengthy article on condensation in the owners manual and keeping moister under control is the key. I used our trailer in some upper 20 degree F weather at night and I cracked the max fan vent about an inch and turned up the heat to compensate. I also opened the hatch under the bed to keep it heated under there and really didn't have a problem. Hope this helps, and as I said before, I really admire you gals out there with trailers. Happy camping. Loren
Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #14

Thanks, Padlin. Going to order that HyperVent material that Jon suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can't help with where to get it, don't need it in the fifth wheel. Could try some carpeting.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #15

Thanks, Dave -- so many great suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
For drainage applications in geotechnical engineering, I have often used a product called "geo net", which would likely work well to act as a separator between the side walls of your trailer and your mattress, or even underneath your mattress.

I have seen the geo net product by itself without a geotextile cover, or with non-woven geotextile fabric on one or two sides of the geo net.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #16

Hey Greg -- after San Fran area, heading to Phoenix!!! Should arrive the beginning of December and stay about a month. A friend and I are going to explore the area, in particular Antelope Canyon--cannot wait to see it!!!

I'm guessing being in the Pacific Northwest for a couple of weeks did not help the moisture issue at all. Nice to know I won't have to worry about that for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Ellen,

Get over to Phoenix. Everythings dry here.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ellen,
Scamp Camp SW is in Sedona AZ the 11th of Dec if you can make it. Let me know where you are at and we might be able to hookup. We'll have the 19 back here by Dec 1 weather permitting.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #18

Oh, wow, that looks so good. And perfect timing! I just called to register at the park. Left name and number with voice mail. Thanks, Greg! Here's hoping the 19 is back by the first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Ellen,
Scamp Camp SW is in Sedona AZ the 11th of Dec if you can make it. Let me know where you are at and we might be able to hookup. We'll have the 19 back here by Dec 1 weather permitting.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Air is the best way to eliminate condensation and yu need to separate your mattress from the cold exterior walls with air. Either adding some material that will allow air to circulate or having the mattress cut smaller (I did this on my build) and also adding something. either way good circulation as in life itself will help matters.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #20

Well, ain't that the truth, Jim!

Mine is a permanent mattress so I don't think I can cut it but I will be adding material. And wow, discovered how cold that front wall is!!!

As always, thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Air is the best way to eliminate condensation and yu need to separate your mattress from the cold exterior walls with air. Either adding some material that will allow air to circulate or having the mattress cut smaller (I did this on my build) and also adding something. either way good circulation as in life itself will help matters.