Condensation problems on 5.0TA's bed? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Condensation problems on 5.0TA's bed?

Okay, did a search for "memory foam bed" and read a whole bunch of posts/threads on that. Yes, I know we probably won't get the bed in the trailer when it's ordered as we're going with a Select Comfort/Sleep by Number bed. Don't have the storage space to fling the bed that comes with it (the attic is already wadded full with a ton of my stuff). Probably won't use the memory foam I bought for the rental motor home trip (anyone interested in a queen size 3" memory foam pad that's slightly shorter to fit the motor home's bed?). But wanted to read about it anyway.

Found lots of references to condensation on the bed, how to overcome it in the trailer (more bookmarks added!) with venting and various products. Keep the bed mattress or cushions away from the walls. Use drymesh or hypervent or some sort of flooring stuff that someone used.

I have several questions on all this that I did not find addressed in the threads I read, so bear with me if it's already been answered. I did try finding it!

How successful are these products like hypervent if you have a tendency to leave bedding over the edges of the bed? Fitted sheet will be tucked in, but that's about it. I can't stand for my size 11's to be scrunched in a bed, so the sheet and blankets have to be loose. I could never use one of those sack thingies - I detest sleeping bags as I need to be able to fling covers on and off as my body temperature varies during the night. And I need to be able to poke my foot out to help regulate body temperature.

Nor do I tuck all that in when I get up as I'd just have to rip it all out when I go to bed. What a waste of time, in my opinion.

So, I'm wondering how useful that hypervent stuff would be if it's covered by bedding. Would it be a good idea to get a mattress cover and put sheets and such on top of that? Heck if I know why, but thought I'd ask that anyway.

I read that some of the problems came about since the beds are against walls for the most part, except for in the 5.0TA. (Are they in the 5.0SA? Never did see photos or a floor plan for that model.) So, I'm thinking there won't be as much problem with bed condensation in that model as in the other trailers.

After spending wads of money on the Sleep Comfort bed (we have 3 at home and just love 'em), I don't want it to get moldy right off the bat or even a few years down the road. Should I get that hypervent/similar product for the bed? Will it be effective?

Thanks folks.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The only place I've noticed condensation in the TA is between the head of the bed and the front wall, of course I don't lift the bed and crawl under to see how it is down there. Being on top of carpeting I don't believe underneath is an issue. How your feet hanging out would effect anything is beyond me.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Another advantage to moving my SC mattress to the TA is that it is a short queen. Should not be touching the front wall at all.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The only place I've noticed condensation in the TA is between the head of the bed and the front wall, of course I don't lift the bed and crawl under to see how it is down there. Being on top of carpeting I don't believe underneath is an issue. How your feet hanging out would effect anything is beyond me.
Thanks Bob. I did wonder about this.

Feet/foot sticking out will cool you off, if that's what you're asking (lots of women I know do that; can't say I've ever asked men about it). If you're wondering how it'll help condensation - can't answer that.

I was mentioning that as I didn't want anyone to say "get one of those confining sleeping bag thingies that will make you feel like a mummy" (my thoughts, not their words).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We cover the mattress with a plastic mattress cover. In cold weather there will be a big condensation problem and the hypervent or similar should help. We bought Sunbrella fabric for the cushions for that problem.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We cover the mattress with a plastic mattress cover. In cold weather there will be a big condensation problem and the hypervent or similar should help. We bought Sunbrella fabric for the cushions for that problem.
Standard Queen cover in your 19? Something I could grab at BB&B?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
GRINGOandTICA, yes, a standard plastic queen mattress cover should be available almost anywhere that sells bedding items, Sears and the like. We did not have a queen mattress on our 19' because ours was an earlier version without the mattress, but we used a queen plastic cover for our foam that Escape supplied. Such covers, of course, can be ordered on the Internet. Can't say that they would all fit the way you might like but you can also order a king cover.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Condensation was a significant problem with the 5.0 single axle with the original 4" foam mattress. We overcame this , for the most part, by installing a 1" sheet of Styrofoam (the pink stuff - 3 pieces as they are only 2' wide) under the mattress. At the time the trailer was built (spring 2010) Escape was installing a sheet of foil covered insulation under the bed but it was ineffective in our case. Shortly after we purchased the trailer Escape started including a conventional spring filled mattress and that apparently cured the problem. We only had a problem when camping in cold weather and one side of the bed was worse than the other and I won't say which side but it had to do with the heat of the occupant if you get my drift. We didn't request a new mattress as Gerri preferred the foam for her back. I discussed the issue with Reace when we were ordering the new trailer and he said the new 8" thick coil mattress has ended this problem. He said we could get the 4" foam mattress and he would add 2" of insulation if we really wanted a foam mattress, but he couldn't guarantee that there would be no moisture issues. We went with the coil mattress. We had one occasion of moisture at the head of the bed (with the old trailer)as others have suggested. That was after a particularly wet and cold night. Never had moisture on the sides.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Mark we have no problems with the new coil spring mattress, it's hot during the day and cold at night. It's pretty comfortable too.

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
So far so good for me too, although Gerri just bought a foam topper which we will try next Thursday.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
... We overcame this , for the most part, by installing a 1" sheet of Styrofoam (the pink stuff - 3 pieces as they are only 2' wide) under the mattress.
If it was pink, it wasn't Styrofoam™ (Dow's trademark colour is blue); the same material (extruded polystyrene foam) in pink is likely Foamular®. Another brand is Kingspan's GreenGuard (yes, it's green). Having mutiple brand names can make it easier to find a suitable product.

Any brand of this extruded polystyrene foam board would be greatly preferable to expanded polystyrene beadboard (the cheap white stuff).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote