Condensation - Storage Areas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Condensation - Storage Areas

Hi all,
Has anyone tried putting Reflectix in their overhead storage bins for condensation in cold weather? I'm full timing in a 17B and I've noticed a bit of condensation in the overhead storage cabinets during cold weather. Even opening the cabinets doesn't seem to help much. Easy enough to control by pulling out everything and wiping down the inside. But I thought Reflectix might help as the condensation builds up on the foam if anything is touching it.

Also, the under seat storage areas are just framed in with 1/8 in plywood paneling and perhaps 1/2 inch plywood to sit on. I'm thinking of covering the underside of the seats and the paneling with Reflectix and/or an inch of hard foam. At least that would help keep the cold from seeping into the living area.

I have Hypervent under all the cushions so that's not a problem.

Thanks, Rick & Brock the Dog
Old 01-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think I have ever encountered problems in the o/h, which ones or all? Perhaps vents may help and certainly reflectix under the seats would help.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #3

Only the overhead bins that had anything touching the foam at the back. I had some towels stuffed in one and another had containers that filled the entire cavity of the overhead. And to be fair....it was cold out like below 20 degrees. I just figured some 3/8 inch Reflectix along the foam at the back of the bin and perhaps on the bottom would help. Same with the under seat storage areas. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It'd be worth trying but something that lets air flow like Hypervent would probably be better. I'd also look to cut down on as much moisture causing tasks as possible. When possible... avoid the shower and cooking on the stove top. Run a dehumidifier, a real one. Leave the cabinets open, install vents where needed, crack a couple windows.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why electric heat vs. furnace?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why electric heat vs. furnace?
No reason, at least none that's right. I deleted it.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Hi all,
Has anyone tried putting Reflectix in their overhead storage bins for condensation in cold weather? I'm full timing in a 17B and I've noticed a bit of condensation in the overhead storage cabinets during cold weather. Even opening the cabinets doesn't seem to help much. Easy enough to control by pulling out everything and wiping down the inside. But I thought Reflectix might help as the condensation builds up on the foam if anything is touching it.

Also, the under seat storage areas are just framed in with 1/8 in plywood paneling and perhaps 1/2 inch plywood to sit on. I'm thinking of covering the underside of the seats and the paneling with Reflectix and/or an inch of hard foam. At least that would help keep the cold from seeping into the living area.

I have Hypervent under all the cushions so that's not a problem.

Thanks, Rick & Brock the Dog
As soon as we got home from Canada, bought some more reflectix and every place could reach on outside wall , adding another layer , under bed , outside storage and dinette . I think it helps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I have seen this during cold weather camping with my father in Erie while steelhead fishing. It happened more where overhead storage cabinets were packed tightly with stuff touching the walls. It also happens around the mattress. My recommendation is to not pack the cabinets tightly and keep the cabinet doors open for a period of time daily to promote some airflow. Also crack a window and keep the Maxxfan lid open and fan off or on the slowest speed setting. The outside air will usually be drier than the inside air with breathing, cooking, etc. I would be careful adding Reflectix to the upper cabinets. If it is not sealed tight to the existing vinyl headliner you could get moisture between it and the wall which could be worse than the situation you currently have. Right now you can at least see and wipe it. For the mattress I’m intrigued with what another forum member did which was to mount a few small fans under the bed. It draws warm cabin air in thru vents in the low underbed access doors and then blows it up through holes under the mattress which was supported on Hypervent or other. I wonder how it works. I forget who did it offhand. If you are plugged in you could also run a small dehumidifier if desired.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I have seen this during cold weather camping with my father in Erie while steelhead fishing. It happened more where overhead storage cabinets were packed tightly with stuff touching the walls. It also happens around the mattress. My recommendation is to not pack the cabinets tightly and keep the cabinet doors open for a period of time daily to promote some airflow. Also crack a window and keep the Maxxfan lid open and fan off or on the slowest speed setting. The outside air will usually be drier than the inside air with breathing, cooking, etc. I would be careful adding Reflectix to the upper cabinets. If it is not sealed tight to the existing vinyl headliner you could get moisture between it and the wall which could be worse than the situation you currently have. Right now you can at least see and wipe it. For the mattress I’m intrigued with what another forum member did which was to mount a few small fans under the bed. It draws warm cabin air in thru vents in the low underbed access doors and then blows it up through holes under the mattress which was supported on Hypervent or other. I wonder how it works. I forget who did it offhand. If you are plugged in you could also run a small dehumidifier if desired.
Good to know but I never did add to upper cabinets . We do always have kitchen window open and the fan running . Pat
Old 01-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #10

My thanks to all of you for the responses. I agree with all of them, i.e. reducing moisture from cooking, showers, etc and more ventilation. Not to mention adding Reflectix to all the places where Escape put extra insulation on the any walls facing the outside. I do believe that will help. And I had thought about the overhead bin condensation issue and NOT adding Reflectix up there because the possibility of trapping moisture. Better to reduce what I have stored up there so I get air circulating. I've got too much stuff anyway. I'm on the right track!

What happened was I got caught in the bad cold spell near Spokane WA right around the beginning of Oct this fall. I was trying to get my utilities finished up on my property build before heading down here to AZ for the winter. So I was having to make due camping with my generator in temps that were in the teens at night. Normally I wouldn't think of being in that kind of weather on purpose.
I believe the best way to solve condensation problems is to move to a warmer/drier climate.....glad I'm in AZ now. The issue seems to have resolved itself.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Pages 6-8 of the online Owner’s Manual discusses the topic at hand. Says many of the same things already discussed but still informative.
https://escapetrailer.com/wp-content...ersManual1.pdf
Old 01-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #12

For those who have added Reflectix in the under seat or other storage areas...how did you attach it? Glue? Any particular kind work better?

Specifically I'm thinking of the areas where Escape added some thin foam insulation such as the wheel wells and outside walls where more insulation is needed. Can't staple it. Thanks!
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #13

Quote:
For those who have added Reflectix in the under seat or other storage areas...how did you attach it? Glue? Any particular kind work better?

Specifically I'm thinking of the areas where Escape added some thin foam insulation such as the wheel wells and outside walls where more insulation is needed. Can't staple it. Thanks!
Hi at Lowe’s where I buy the insulation , they have silver tape . I don’t know what it called but I just added around at the top . Been attached now over 5 years . The tape is made for the insulation . I did some mods in the area of the wheel wells and attached carpet with construction adhesive . No please don’t use any nails or screws to your fiberglass . Pat
Old 01-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #14

Thanks Pat! Yes, I won't use any Staples or nails. I'm familiar with the Reflectix tape so I'll get some. I'll look at adhesives also. Thanks!
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks Pat! Yes, I won't use any Staples or nails. I'm familiar with the Reflectix tape so I'll get some. I'll look at adhesives also. Thanks!
Your welcome . I built a studio years ago and used the product in the ceiling . The instructions said to have at least a 3/4 in air space . You know we don’t have that in our trailer , so don’t be worried to not have it solid against Escape’s inside walls . I just taped at the top to hold it in place and it has . Pat
Old 01-06-2020, 12:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Condensation - Storage Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
For the mattress I’m intrigued with what another forum member did which was to mount a few small fans under the bed. It draws warm cabin air in thru vents in the low underbed access doors and then blows it up through holes under the mattress which was supported on Hypervent or other. I wonder how it works. I forget who did it offhand. If you are plugged in you could also run a small dehumidifier if desired.

Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

It actually sucks air from main cabin down around and under mattress and then into under-bed storage area, where the powered dehumidifier does it’s thing. Been running it on a timer that runs fans ~12 hours daily and have been happy with results, i.e. no condensation issues around bed.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Cond??

Still awaiting the pickup day, but last fall we called ETI and arranged for them to install round vents in all floor-level cabinets...hopefully to avoid the problem there..
As for uppers..well we will do what we have always done..any condensation will have to happen inside cabs w the doors slightly adjar..as needed. Upper vents can easily be added later.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just open the cupboards if you feel the need. They will stay open, unless closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Cupboard support.jpg  
Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i use an electric dehumidifier works very well- but i need to empty the water every week.
I open up the cupboards.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just open the cupboards if you feel the need. They will stay open, unless closed.
We do that Glenn while storing . Pat