Confirm connection to shore power - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17B
Confirm connection to shore power

I'm certain the answer to this question is simple and obvious, but I don't know the answer. If I connect my new 17B (which I have had for 5 days) to shore power (in this case an electrical outlet on my house), how can I know that shore power is being provided to my trailer? For example, what if there was a problem with the electrical cord, and no electricity was being provided to the trailer, how would I know that was the case? Thank you.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Just plug something into a 110 volt outlet.

Cheers

Doug
Old 03-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you have a surge protector it will run the diagnostic test and then light up with readings of power being provided. Takes a couple of minutes. If you have a microwave, the time display will come on. Lacking those, plug a 110 drill, fan, trouble light, lamp whatever you have and turn it on.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #4

Appreciate the responses. So any electrical outlet on my 17B, will work only with shore power? And therefore when I plug in a fan, a radio, or whatever, and it works, that confirms shore power successfully has been connected? Thank you so much.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
When you plug in to shore power, there is about a 3 minute delay before it comes on in the trailer. We always watched the microwave, and when that came on we were good to go. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
So any electrical outlet on my 17B, will work only with shore power? And therefore when I plug in a fan, a radio, or whatever, and it works, that confirms shore power successfully has been connected?
Right... unless you have a built-in inverter, and the outlet is connected to the inverter. If there is no inverter, there is no power at any outlet (including the one feeding the microwave if you have one) unless you are successfully plugged in.

The delay would be due to the Electrical Management System, if you have one.

I usually use the microwave as the indicator in my motorhome, because I have no inverter. If my power source is the generator I have a delay like with an EMS, due to the transfer switch.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 19'
I leave a night lite in the outlet by the door. Gives a little light in the doorway and shows me AC is good.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I leave a night lite in the outlet by the door. Gives a little light in the doorway and shows me AC is good.
good idea Klem.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
When you plug in to shore power, there is about a 3 minute delay before it comes on in the trailer. We always watched the microwave, and when that came on we were good to go. Loren
Thanks for the "three minute" comment. I would likely have assumed I had a problem.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Right... unless you have a built-in inverter, and the outlet is connected to the inverter. If there is no inverter, there is no power at any outlet (including the one feeding the microwave if you have one) unless you are successfully plugged in.

The delay would be due to the Electrical Management System, if you have one.

I usually use the microwave as the indicator in my motorhome, because I have no inverter. If my power source is the generator I have a delay like with an EMS, due to the transfer switch.
Brian, if I have an inverter I should know I have one? I just reviewed my options list for my 17B and there is nothing called an "inverter."

I hope I'm not asked to leave this forum because of my inane questions.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
hi Klem,

don't worry about asking "inane" questions - Forum Members have answered lots of questions which I considered very, very basic. In my experience people will either answer or point you to resources.

I think you would know wether or not you have an inverter (if you were the person ordering the trailer). When we were doing our build sheet the inverter cost around 300.00. we had to ask beginner questions on the forum and do research before making a decision not to order one.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I once yelled at a guy who was about to throw a fish back into the lLittle Souix River not to throw it back. He said "What is it? I told him it was a Walleye and it weighed about 5 lbs. He then wanted to know if it was good to eat. There are no stupid questions if you truly don't know. You'll do fine.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Don't worry. You are not the only fish in the bowl!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Brian, if I have an inverter I should know I have one? I just reviewed my options list for my 17B and there is nothing called an "inverter."
That seems like an entirely reasonable question to me.

I agree that an inverter (if factory-installed) would be on the options list, and if you bought it new yourself you would remember making that choice. Also, there is a display panel for the inverter. On the other hand, it would be easy to have an inverter in a used trailer and not know about it, and even people who know they have one don't always realize how it works.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
On my 2010 all I have to do is check my battery charge and tank level meter. When I'm plugged it the charge meter shows as charging. I'm not sure if the new meters still show that.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #16

Confirm connection to shore power

The rest of the story: I did buy my 17B new (got it last week). It does not have an inverter or microwave.

It does have a surge protector and solar -- is this relevant to my question as to how to determine if shore power has been successfully provided to the trailer?

I got the removable power cord. When I connect to shore power a little red light turns on, on the part of the power cord connected to the trailer. Does that red light mean it's "hot" or does it mean no power, or something else?

Appreciate your patience with this question.

Thank you.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
As you have the Surge Protector, when connected to city 120vac power the LED display lights up, 2 or 3 minutes later power is provided to the 120vac outlets. As you have no inverter, ONLY when you are connected to city 120vac with they work. As mentioned, a night light or any other thype of device plugged into the 120v outlets will tell you when things are active.

I don't know about the little red light you mention, if it's part of the card, you'd still have to wait the 2 minutes for the surge protector to do it's thing before the power gets to the outlets.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
On my 2010 all I have to do is check my battery charge and tank level meter. When I'm plugged it the charge meter shows as charging. I'm not sure if the new meters still show that.
This sounds like just a voltmeter - if the voltage is more than a fully charged battery would produce, it must be due to something other source of power, such as the converter running on shore power.

Quote:
It does have a surge protector and solar -- is this relevant to my question as to how to determine if shore power has been successfully provided to the trailer?
Yes.
  • If you mean that you have the EMS (which is more than a surge protector), it adds the delay mentioned earlier, so that is relevant to assessing whether shore power is getting into the trailer. The EMS also has a display, which tells you what is happening.
  • The charging voltage that Eric mentioned (above) could come from the solar panels, so charging might not indicate that shore power is properly connected.

Quote:
I got the removable power cord. When I connect to shore power a little red light turns on, on the part of the power cord connected to the trailer. Does that red light mean it's "hot" or does it mean no power, or something else?
Nice feature This should mean that it is connected to power - it is usually just a light connected to power coming from the campsite receptacle, not an indicator of the state of the EMS... so as Bob explained you could have that light on but power might not reach anything in the trailer until the EMS delay period is over.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have the same, it is a 90 degree adapter 30amp/15 amp with indicator, red light indicates there is power to trailer, inside after 2 minute delay after plugging in (if you have the EMS option), you will have power.