Convection microwave oven - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 5iver
Convection microwave oven

Has anyone installed a convection microwave oven instead of a microwave in a 21' escape in the standard location next to the reefer. I have been looking for one, but all require significant air space around them. I am working on my build sheet and would appreciate any advice.
caver55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I looked into it because I have one at home and love it. One problem is that the convection microwaves are larger than the microwave used by Escape. So you would need to have them build a bigger cabinet. That's probably doable but I never pursued it so don't know for sure. I also looked at convection toaster ovens that could be used both in the trailer and at home as an extra oven if needed. Anytime you get an appliance that performs multiple functions you'll have to make tradeoffs. We haven't decided what to get yet.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #3

Trailer: none
We have the Breville Compact Smart Oven on our countertop at home and use it several times a week. It toasts and does bagels, bakes, broils, does pizza, you name it. We love it. We haven't taken it out in the trailer yet but it would work great there...just probably need to use it on the countertop - not in a cabinet.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It depends largely on you and how much you'd use it. Personally, in our house, it's the one appliance that I can count on one hand how many times we've used over the years. Microwave, daily; convection oven, never. But it comes down to you and your baking habits.

It would be quite a trade-off for space. I think if we did more ( more? ) baking we'd go for a stove with an oven.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It depends on your cooking styles. I don't use my microwave at home for much besides warming up leftovers. I decided to skip the microwave in the trailer & carry a large toaster oven. I have a Cruisinart TOB155, a non convection version of the TOB 185 which I have at home. It fits a 12" pizza, will toast up to 6 slices, bake a roast or small chicken, etc. I use a steamer on the stove or outside Coleman combination grill/stove for vegetables & reheating leftovers. While neither is no longer made, the Cruisinart TOB 135 is the same sized convection toaster oven, although it lists the same .6 cu ft, it doesn't look as tall, so fitting roasts & chickens might be tough.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Convection oven?

We looked at a convection oven for our 21', largely on the recommendation of friends with a small class C Motorhome who swore by theirs. The larger size plus extra space needed around it, and no enthusiasm from Reace, were discouraging.

We finally realized that it would only be useful to us when we had shore power, whereas the ETI oven option uses gas so is fine either with shore power or when boondocking. So we went for the oven plus standard ETI microwave. We've used the oven for several easy meals, and occasionally used the microwave for heating a cup of coffee. So far, we've only had shore power one night.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
We have the Breville Compact Smart Oven on our countertop at home and use it several times a week. It toasts and does bagels, bakes, broils, does pizza, you name it. We love it. We haven't taken it out in the trailer yet but it would work great there...just probably need to use it on the countertop - not in a cabinet.
We carry the same oven in the bottom of the pantry (closet).
It's an excellent little oven...when Norma wants to bake I put it on the counter or a table outside for her.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
The Breville looks like a great option. I guess we'll need a separate toaster when boondocking though (even with the 1500 watt inverter) as it's an 1800watt oven.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
Do you use an inverter with the Breville, we were not going to buy the ETI inverter instead buy smaller ones to use here and there...does this make sense??
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #10

Trailer: none
We haven't used the Breville oven in our trailer yet, but would only do so with an electric hookup site...not off the battery.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Even if you had a large enough inverter, at 1800 watts for the Breville (or just about any toaster oven) would draw 150 amps from your batteries assuming the inverter was 100% efficient. Since the safe available amperage from a pair of fully charged 6V batteries is around 116 amps (1/2 of capacity) you are going to be limited in what you can cook.

While the oven does not draw the full 1800 watts all the time, depending on the surrounding temperature (I like to use mine outdoors to avoid heating up the trailer & cool weather keeps cycling on longer than in a warm room), even a 20 minute pizza may leave you with low batteries; cooking a roast or chicken is probably not viable unless you have a generator (large enough) or hookups.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
Okay dokey , I get it, plugged in or use generator...thanks much
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote