Corroded Window Screws - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #121

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have a different opinion here and lets see what others have to say, here is my research:
Rusting is caused due to exposture of iron to moisture. When iron articles are painted, it is not exposed to the atomospheric moisture. This is how paint stops rusting.
For light surface rust , like I suspect is what is happening to those screws, I'd have to agree with Jim. I'd guess that they were just improperly prepped before painting, or painted too lightly and not completely covered.

I'd use the example of our steel outdoor table and chairs, that get surface rust after a few years, I clean and repaint them (with Rustoleum - sorry Donna) and they are good for another few years.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #122
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
No one needs to apologize to me. Honest. Have you ever painted some rusty something-er-other. And did a good job and then the paint started bubbling up? Or how about when you've painted something that was brown and rusty and when you scrapped the paint off a few years later... it was still brown and rusty underneath? I'm a one-and-done person, if that's possible. I don't want to repaint something again in a few years because of more rust because it wasn't a quality paint and converter. It just top coated.

Your trailer, your choice. I'm making mine.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #123

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Think of those painters on the Golden Gate Bridge. They scape, and sandblast and prep and use the best primers and paint available, and still have to touch up the paint all the time!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #124
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Think of those painters on the Golden Gate Bridge. They scape, and sandblast and prep and use the best primers and paint available, and still have to repaint it all the time!
Of course. Either planned obsolescence or salt air.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #125

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'd go with Donna on this one. You need to completely remove the rust to have a chance of stopping it.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #126

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Anyone with rusty screws could look back at Reace's response a couple of years ago, (post no.5)where he offered to send new screws. He sent me a bunch, and I replaced mine (post no.8) and they've been fine ever since. They are the classic sliders, so the solution could be different on the new windows.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote