Corroded Window Screws - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As a moderator with a great tolerance for threads straying off topic, I consider the forum a conversation. And, just as in a conversation around the campfire, over beers, I'm not going to tell somebody to shut up.
When it becomes apparent that we are on a totally different topic, I will move posts to a new thread title.
Pretty much how I see it too. We are a community, comprised of real people, and discussion shifts are very common in life. It would get extremely boring if there was no humour interjected in our conversations, just as is done in real life, whether around the campfire, or the kitchen table. Maybe it is the growth of this forum, but in the early days everyone got along great, having fun while looking for, and receiving, help from other members.

Heck, don't forget, back in early 2009, I even added a non-spec'd skylight to the Hokie Escape during a visit to the factory.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I don't have the early days of the forum to compare it to Jim, but I think the forum is still fun. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be here.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #83

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We are a community, comprised of real people, and discussion shifts are very common in life.
Real people? I was with the impression these were my imaginary friends, and our discussions were most uncommon ... and held the secrets of life.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Real people? I was with the impression these were my imaginary friends, and our discussions were most uncommon ... and held the secrets of life.
That is correct.
For instance, I am really only a series of PWM electrons and RF transmissions. ( See Calabi-Yau Manifolds applications for details, here: Superstring theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).
And, I didn't yet get the secrets of life part, but that's why I'm here. The Escape is part of the answer.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #85

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yes, my wife often complains that I spend too much time talking to my imaginary friends.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yes, my wife often complains that I spend too much time talking to my imaginary friends.
She does know some of us are real after meeting us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #87

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Mmmm, string theory!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Maybe someone's next mod will be a superconducting super collider to find one of those elusive strings. Then we can have an Escapee Nobel Prize winner

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
For whatever it is worth, I don't mind the threads straying off topic at all -- Like Jim and Glen have said, this is what happens when people get together to talk.

and just so you know that I am a real person, here's the poutine from the French Hen Cafe here in St. Paul
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1629.jpg  
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #90

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
For whatever it is worth, I don't mind the threads straying off topic at all -- Like Jim and Glen have said, this is what happens when people get together to talk.

and just so you know that I am a real person, here's the poutine from the French Hen Cafe here in St. Paul
I can vouch for Leon being real - I met him! Unless those theoretical physicists are right and our universe is a hologram - then all bets are off!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #91

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So, hash browns, country gravy and ... dry cottage cheese (curds)??
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Back to the topic of screws...

I got into my 21' today (Sept. 2014 pickup). Screws still looked decent with a few showing signs of a bit of rust. Happened to plug my voltage monitor into 12 volt outside jack. Jack is secured with same type screws and they are totally rust covered. Probably will be giving Reace a call in the spring.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #93

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Even though my 3/14 doesn't show any rust on them they appear to be a "soft grey" texture. By comparison, the plated ones I supplied and used to hold down my table pedestal are are a "hard, shiny texture". It looks to me like the manufacturer of these screws just isn't providing a proper plated surface. S/s screws shouldn't be needed for this type of interior use, a plated screw should stay rust free indefinitely.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #94

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Ah yes I remember that Jim, good thing Dan had a good sense of humor. Back then we were a smaller group of like minded people all waiting in excitement for our trailers. Now the group has grown and different views have been added, in short things changed and we must all go with the flow and get along somehow. The forum has evolved in many ways but we have always enjoyed injecting humor and going off topic.

Now back to poutine

Cheers
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Pretty much how I see it too. We are a community, comprised of real people, and discussion shifts are very common in life. It would get extremely boring if there was no humour interjected in our conversations, just as is done in real life, whether around the campfire, or the kitchen table. Maybe it is the growth of this forum, but in the early days everyone got along great, having fun while looking for, and receiving, help from other members.

Heck, don't forget, back in early 2009, I even added a non-spec'd skylight to the Hokie Escape during a visit to the factory.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #95

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
That only proves that the French Hen Cafe has some strange stuff they're calling "poutine". The photo could have been taken by a robot...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #96

Quote:

You may be a real person but that stuff 'ain't' poutine!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #97

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you like that, you'll love the video of an underwater photographer who got enveloped in a sperm whale bowel movement.

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/2015/0...ale-poo-storm/
Old 01-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #98

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Delicious, None the Less

The Costco in Courtenay, BC has poutine on the 'snack-bar' menu.

No, I didn't take a photo.

Gravy, cheese curds, and fries: It's a heart-attack in the making.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #99

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Even though my 3/14 doesn't show any rust on them they appear to be a "soft grey" texture. By comparison, the plated ones I supplied and used to hold down my table pedestal are are a "hard, shiny texture". It looks to me like the manufacturer of these screws just isn't providing a proper plated surface. S/s screws shouldn't be needed for this type of interior use, a plated screw should stay rust free indefinitely.

Ron
Another solution would be to periodically wipe the screw heads with a moisture inhibitor. WD40 is one such product, but better alternatives exist. I prefer Gibbs Brand as it ultimately forms a dry coating. Works very well on the awning hardware and the screen door track.
Gibbs Brand Canada Penetrating Displacement Inhibitor Lubricants
Gibbs Brand Lubricant at GIBBSBRANDLUBRICANT.COM

Doesn't taste good on poutine though.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #100

Here's another thought. Use aluminum screws. Here's a pack of 60 pcs. Just cut to length and install, or research a shorter length. Then this "madness" can stop.
Veranda 2-1/4 in. White Aluminum Vinyl Fence Screws (60-Pieces Per Bag)-73066801S - The Home Depot