Corroded Window Screws - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Corroded Window Screws

Our Escape 21 developed significant corrosion on all window screws within two weeks from delivery to us 9/17. I was very surprised having owned a used 2010 17B that didn't have any signs of this. Sent photos to ETI and Reace was surprised too and figured it was a bad batch of screws.

Am pretty good mechanically, however there are tricks to every trade. Getting the originals out was easy. Putting new ones in not so much. That is because some of those holes were double-tapped. The ETI installers had tried to go in one way but couldn't with some then had to go in sometimes at an angle. This the nature of those windows I've learned, and it doesn't matter what brand of RV you have.

First tried using stainless replacements to try an avoid future corrosion. When talking to Reace he said he could send stainless if I didn't mind the color contrast. Turns out stainless is harder and more brittle. Also, looking closely today I see they're slightly fatter. Three heads torqued off(3 different windows of course) leaving the broken stud behind. Most shops I talked to weren't very optimistic with one saying I may need new windows.

Finally got the work done at my house today from an auto glass installer I had remembered did very good work. He has worked on RV windows before and knew the problem with the studs. When I asked him if he though he could get them out he said “usually- unless the owner has already tried”. Fortunately I hadn't. Decided to use the OEM screws instead of stainless.

Like with most pros, he made it look easy, but there was definitely a method and tools. He would only pull away as much as the clamp ring as needed to get his vise grips on and then it was still not easy to get just the right amount of grip. Too much, you start to mangle the stud while too little doesn't turn it. When the clamp ring was stuck on, he had a plastic flatblade that he would use on the inside of the ring so he was never prying into the wall vinyl. Starting the new screws began with the cordless driver set at a low setting then finished by hand. Glad that's over!
Attached Thumbnails
20140929_082848[1].jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
In December, I talked to Reace on the phone. I mentioned to him that I had read of others having screw corrosion issues, so I asked if stainless screws were an option. He said that he knew of only one case of corroded screws. He said that the screws are coated, and they touch them up if necessary, so he didn't see the need for SS screws.

Hmmm, now I'm not so sure.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Our Escape 21 developed significant corrosion on all window screws within two weeks from delivery to us 9/17. I was very surprised having owned a used 2010 17B that didn't have any signs of this. Sent photos to ETI and Reace was surprised too and figured it was a bad batch of screws.

[Starting the new screws began with the cordless driver set at a low setting then finished by hand. Glad that's over![/SIZE][/FONT]
Glad it worked out for you. I've had quite a lot of similar experience with marine windows. The thing that surprises me is that he used a cordless driver to start the screws into pre-existing threads. As much as I love cordless drivers I've always thought the most important part of that process was the feedback your finger tips give you for knowing if the screws start correctly.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
We picked up on 09/30 and the bathroom window screws are corroded. i'll take a closer look at the other screws next week. The trailer is currently in the shop for a refrigerator door problem hopefully covered by warranty. I will get in touch with ETI about a fix.
Thanks for posting.
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
If anyone with a fairly new trailer has rusting window screws, let me know and I will ship you replacements.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Glad it worked out for you. I've had quite a lot of similar experience with marine windows. The thing that surprises me is that he used a cordless driver to start the screws into pre-existing threads. As much as I love cordless drivers I've always thought the most important part of that process was the feedback your finger tips give you for knowing if the screws start correctly.

Ron
Know what you mean but you had to be there. It's a weird and unique situation with these fasteners going into the window frame. Starting by hand you get resistance immediately. When I was trying to do the stainless I would get halfway in many times with the cordless driver then get stopped. Would back out try a new one with more force and most of the time it worked.

This was so frustrating because even Hehr Window couldn't give me much advice. I invite anyone to search this and see the limited information. I feel lucky that I didn't just have to glue on the broken heads for cosmetic value then drill in new ones for integrity.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Is this all the windows?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Our October 2014 21' had the rusting screw problem throughout, some windows worse than others, but all had the problem. Reace sent a new set, and I replaced them with the new batch, original size and color ones. Took about an hour with a drill/driver. Couldn't get to the ones covered by the cornices but who cares--you can't see those. Thanks, Reace.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
If anyone with a fairly new trailer has rusting window screws, let me know and I will ship you replacements.

Reace
Just want to thank Reace for this follow up for all us Escape owners. Although I don't have this problem, I am impressed that not only did Reace respond, but did this on a Saturday evening! I can't think of another trailer manufacturer with this level of service!!! That's why ETI has "raving fans" instead of "satisfied customers." I just love showing off my Escape to potential buyers - the trailer sells itself. I don't believe any of my showings have led to sales of new, but one of my showings led to the purchase of a used 19' Escape!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Our October 2014 21' had the rusting screw problem throughout, some windows worse than others, but all had the problem. Reace sent a new set, and I replaced them with the new batch, original size and color ones. Took about an hour with a drill/driver. Couldn't get to the ones covered by the cornices but who cares--you can't see those. Thanks, Reace.
"Rust Never Sleeps"- great albumn by a famous Canadian. You may wish you had later on. It's actually not bad to do especially with a helper. Remove the valences by popping off the plastic cover on each end to access screw. Then remove the triangular metal piece at the lower corners that tether the shades. Now the helper can lift them outward and up giving access to the top screws.

It would have taken me about an hour as well except for the broken studs as well as having to replace two defective shades. The main reason I posted this was to help warn others of the potential to break off screw heads. Jeff, the Hehr rep for the Northwest told me it happens in the factories too and the best advice is to use a clutched driver. Add to that the tech's experience telling him to set it on low setting & finish by hand.

Also, should we have to do our own warranty labor? If your Atwood Furnace goes out within two years you contact Atwood for their nearest service center. This was an Escape issue and they did cover this cost for us.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 19'
Just checked mine and they are all rusty too. Looks like another job to add to the list. That's fast ... New August of 2014.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Does anyone know if the "bad batch" of screws has been replaced at the factory? I would imagine so.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Does anyone know if the "bad batch" of screws has been replaced at the factory? I would imagine so.
I would be curious to know that also...
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #14

In reality no one knows. All comes from overseas it seems these days and different manufacturers are bidding to get the business. The standards are not what we grew up with and are accustomed to. The Rust Belt Bell mourns for thee.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #15

In my many conversations over the last three months on this issue a mechanic with over 40 years experience told me he harvests stainless from old boats because they were made very differently from what you can get today.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I think these screws have a 25 month expire date . I have some going on my 2012 - 17. I think the QC department could improve on this exterior issue .
Looks like if the screw driver slipped and the coating was compromised the rust takes over fast.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Not a great way to save a buck, as the fix is fairly labor intensive.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Anybody have a picture? I have a couple of screws with slight cosmetic issues. I'd dab with Tremclad, if I thought it was a problem.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I think these screws have a 25 month expire date . I have some going on my 2012 - 17. I think the QC department could improve on this exterior issue .
Looks like if the screw driver slipped and the coating was compromised the rust takes over fast.
Maybe, however we noticed the ones on the door first, and they were by far the most advanced(see original photo), yet all others went as well. None of the screws on the 2010 17B were corroded when we sold it 7/14.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
In reality no one knows. All comes from overseas it seems these days and different manufacturers are bidding to get the business. The standards are not what we grew up with and are accustomed to. The Rust Belt Bell mourns for thee.
I have seen better corrosion resistance in US made cadmium plated screws than with low grade imported SS screws . Stainless steel is no guarantee against corrosion anymore.
Why do they ship SS screws from China coated in oil so they don't rust on the trip over ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote