Cover Me Up - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 2016 - 19 ft
Talking Cover Me Up

It was a thrill hitting the road with our brand spanking new 19 footer this summer.
We are now chopping at the bit waiting for the next outing.

Where we are storing our home away from home, it is under some trees - we are looking for a "cover up".
Any suggestions where we can purchase a formed one - or what do you think of a just wrapping it up in a tarp?

Thanks, Brad
Brad & Shelley Dalzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Tarps are bad. One of the top grade ADCO's will do the job, or you can spring for a Caremark. Winters coming so they may be getting hard to find. There are other good brands out there if you search the internet, don't go cheap.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Forum members with direct cover experience may wish to comment but I seem to recall reading on here that pretty much any cover may result in wear on the fiberglass gelcoat due to wind tugging at the cover - causing rubbing against the gelcoat.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Mine will be inside for longtime storage. I kind of like the idea of the ADCo top cover only.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Forum members with direct cover experience may wish to comment but I seem to recall reading on here that pretty much any cover may result in wear on the fiberglass gelcoat due to wind tugging at the cover - causing rubbing against the gelcoat.
Cal mark covers are made from Sunbrella material . They are soft to the touch . We previously had our Cal Mark cover on for 9 months through the winter winds . There was no damage anywhere on trailer , when we removed . The most important thing you need to do ,is trailer must be clean and waxed before you cover . Yes previous covers on other RV's we owned showed rubbing marks from wind . Not so with CalMark. It is the old saying you get what you pay for . The material and custom fit really make the difference . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I covered my first trailer, but it was a lot of work getting that cover on and off, and it was destroyed after 2 winters. They shred at the corners. I might build a simple corrugated fiberglass shed-roof carport on the side of the house for it, but won't be using another cover.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #7

I had cheap cover, dust went right through scouring the corners in the wind. No such problem when I had a good cover, that's why I said don't cheap out. And yes, you do need to start clean. I'd think a top only cover is inviting dust to get under it.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I've yet to see a cover on any of the trailers, 5th wheels, or campers displayed on RV lots. A good wash and wax in the spring usually brings up the original shine as well as giving the owner an inch by inch examination of all caulking, windows and roof top vents etc.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

That's one of the usual responses from non covering folks, along with the more valid ground in dust reason. To each his/her own.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That's one of the usual responses from non covering folks, along with the more valid ground in dust reason. To each his/her own.
I covered my trailer for 4 years before the sun, wind, ice and so on rotted out the ($300.00 brand new) cover. I had to wash and polish the trailer before I covered it, to prevent scratching the gel-coat, and again after I took it off. In the mean time all kinds of wind blown dust, bird droppings etc landed on the cover. Now the cover had to be cleaned before storing or all the winter fall out would transfer back to the trailer when it was used the following season. The covers are huge and covering the trailer usually meant dragging it along the ground to some extent before it would slide onto the top of the trailer. And then there's the storage of the cover. As I said, the covers are really quite large, even once they get stuffed back into the storage bag. But first they have to be dry.
So, I guess you're right, it is the usual response from the non-covering folk. The non-covering folk only have to wash and wax at the beginning of the camping season.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i haven't yet covered my trailer yet- but i do wash and wax end of winter. I keep feeling guilty about not covering it but after reading the post above i don't feel so guilty!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Cal mark covers are made from Sunbrella material . They are soft to the touch . We previously had our Cal Mark cover on for 9 months through the winter winds . There was no damage anywhere on trailer , when we removed . The most important thing you need to do ,is trailer must be clean and waxed before you cover . Yes previous covers on other RV's we owned showed rubbing marks from wind . Not so with CalMark. It is the old saying you get what you pay for . The material and custom fit really make the difference . Pat
Yup, Yup, Yup. The CalMark cover is the best.
We have paid protection feedings to the neighborhood cats, so we don't have bird droppings on the cover.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #13

Too bad the CalMark Cover Company doesn't print a price list.

RV & Trailer Cover Price, Get a Quote for a new Sunbrella RV/Trailer Cover | Calmark Cover Company
Old 09-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
We got the cover for our 17 for about $650. personally installed by the owner of Calmark: no charge.
When I took the trailer over to their facility (it's close to my workplace), I told them about the new 2017 versions of Escapes coming on line. He's hopeful to get to use his laser measuring machine to get accurate measurements for the new models. So anyone within driving distance of Oxnard, CA (1 hr. north of LA): talk to them. They may even come to your location to measure.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We got the cover for our 17 for about $650. personally installed by the owner of Calmark:
so...$858.00 Canadian dollars before shipping.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Yup, Yup, Yup. The CalMark cover is the best.
We have paid protection feedings to the neighborhood cats, so we don't have bird droppings on the cover.
After all those other covers on previous RV 's , this has really been worth it . We only cover trailer if she won't be used for awhile . Really helps with our UV's . We store cover in plastic storage box . Yes it is heavy . But we didn't need to do much to trailer ,after we removed , after 9 mo. . Would love a shelter but not possible where I live . Pat
Old 09-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #17

Quote:
We got the cover for our 17 for about $650. personally installed by the owner of Calmark: no charge.
When I took the trailer over to their facility (it's close to my workplace), I told them about the new 2017 versions of Escapes coming on line. He's hopeful to get to use his laser measuring machine to get accurate measurements for the new models. So anyone within driving distance of Oxnard, CA (1 hr. north of LA): talk to them. They may even come to your location to measure.
Don they came to my home to measure . Ours was 750 , that included a seperate box cover I wanted . Pat
Old 09-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Arrow

Quote:
so...$858.00 Canadian dollars before shipping.
Plus customs brokerage fees. Canadians would be looking at more than $1000 to get that cover. My "inferior" cover was about 1/4 or 1/5 the cost and has worked flawlessly through the past three winters and based on wear is going to last at least three more winters. It's a no brainer to me to stick with my cheaper cover.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #19

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
In the mean time all kinds of wind blown dust, bird droppings etc landed on the cover. Now the cover had to be cleaned before storing or all the winter fall out would transfer back to the trailer when it was used the following season. The covers are huge and covering the trailer usually meant dragging it along the ground to some extent before it would slide onto the top of the trailer. And then there's the storage of the cover. As I said, the covers are really quite large, even once they get stuffed back into the storage bag. But first they have to be dry.
Oooo, hadn't really thought about all that! Thanks for posting this. We don't have a garage and our storage shed is completely wadded full, as is the enclosed trailer (used for storage). I'm certainly not hauling that thing into the house and up in the attic. Dirk doesn't want a cover and this rather sealed the deal for me.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #20

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
I use a extra heavy duty tarp, but I'm having issues with the solar panel. I have been putting a 6' piece of 1/2" pipe insulation on the back edge of the panel, but i still get some rubbing from the wind. I paid only $125 for the tarp, and it has lasted for 3 years (my Casita), but putting it on and taking it off is a pain. Would be concerned about spending a lot for a calmark and having it ripped from the sharp edges of the solar panel. It would be nice if I could find a plastic cover for the solar panel to protect it and the cover. Any ideas?
jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote