Cover your Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Re: Cover your Escape

I just put the cover on my Escape 19 for the first time and I will leave it on for the winter. It's the one that I bought from Escape when I picked up my trailer this spring. It is not as tight on the right side as it looks, it's just really windy today and the wind is blowing it up against the trailer. It was a bit expensive, but it seems to be of decent quality and it fits reasonably well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cover-Left-Side-reduced.jpg (76.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Cover-Right-Side-reduced.jpg (99.5 KB, 98 views)

Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

For the winter How sad : - (
We've delayed a day because of Tropical Storm Lee is dumping on the western NC/eastern TN mountains where we are headed for about 10 days. Oh well, need the rain!

Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
For the winter How sad : - (
Sad is an understatement. I look forward to retiring in 3.5 years and then I can just go to where there is no winter. Perhaps I will host a cover burning party because I won't need it if I am always using the trailer.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #14

Hi,
Well, the Escape 13 is home and covered. See my previous post to the link where I bought the cover. Here's the photo. It's a pretty good cover for about $100. Fairly durable material. Fits well. Easy to put on. Elastic front and back, like a fitted sheet. Belly straps fore and aft and grommets midship near the tires (I tie the rope supplied from side to side under the trailer). The only disadvantage is that there's no door, but that's not much of a problem with the 13 footer because it's so easy to take off and put on.
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tony Covered.jpg (98.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #15

I've been talking to friends about whether or not to get a cover or not as I was not totally convinced on the need of it However, I am getting my 17b polished and shined up and would hate for that shine to go away. It's a 2006 model and it shows its years. I'm hoping with the new polishing that it will look close to new. But we're going into winter season and I will have to put it away for approximately four months

I've talked to Tammy who told me that she potentially has three covers left and then they're not selling them anymore due to the cost. She did recommend me talking to a person from WW tent repairs in Chilliwack about making a custom cover. Basically, long story short, the best way would be to get a cover and then she can cut and sew to fit the trailer for $250. So depending on the cost of the cover, it could be more affordable than the $600.

Perhaps Camping World would be a good place to start as well. I see on their website that they do make custom covers as well. I'd be interested to know how much they would charge. And then compare it to getting a universal cover and getting it sewn to size in Chilliwack.

Thanks for posting this topic, it's been helpful!
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

I think the best, least expensive and lasting cover is a coat of quality wax every six months. That's not to say I've ever waxed Toad. I don't have enough elbow grease.

I've only used the Simonize wash/wax solution a few times a year. So far, so good ( three years ).

I'm not convinced that a cover is an economical or effective way to protect the gelcoat.

I'll report, after further study. Maybe ten years from now.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

After considering the covers, I opted originally for the fabric covered metal frame shelter as it cost no more than the better quality covers. They are available as full coverage or just a top with open sides. [We live in the country and have plenty of space, so that may not be an option for many people. After about 6 years, the fabric was degrading from UV and this time we opted to replace it with a pole shed that now houses both our tractor and "Blue"]

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #18

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Speaking of covers, here is my story. Living in the wet northwest and on a lot that is mostly trees the result is that the top of my Escape gets dirty, accumulates leaves and needles and worst-of-all, pitch. I put it with it last year and spent a lot of time cleaning and waxing the Escape.

This year I resolved to have a shelter built to keep the Escape in pristine condition. Only problem was that the county said that any structure had to be set back at least 20 feet. Just no way that I could do that in the existing pad for the Escape. I could spend a small fortune and cut down a lot of trees and clear the land for a pad and shelter. But this option just isn't in the cards. Nor is renting a covered space. So go to Plan B.

I purchased an ADCO travel trailer cover that Camping World had on sale. I got the smallest one available for trailers up to 20 feet in length. Only problem is that the cover is designed for a stick built trailer, not the seek Escape. It is a little on the large size. The ADCO cover more than covers the Escape -- it encases it! I ordered wheel covers, which are not needed at all since the cover goes over the wheels without any problem. Check out the photo.

Before I put the cover on I washed and waxed the Escape. On the roof I put an extra heavy coat of wax and did not buff any off.

At least for this winter, the Escape is protected. However, I'll still have the dirt, leaves, needles and pitch problems next camping season as it way too much of a job to put the cover on and take it off after each trip.

Maybe there should be a Teflon coating option . . . . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cover.JPG (40.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21

Thanks for posting the picture! We have exactly the same cover that we plan to put on our 19ft once we tuck her away for the season. We knew it would be somewhat on the generous side - now we know just how she'll look! 8)
Old 11-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #20

Do you think the white shrink plastic they us for boats would work...and is it economical to do each year.