Cracked Rear Cross Frame 17 Footer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #11

Turns out it is due to water intrusion as I found rust inside when drilling stop drill holes.

Must have filled up from a bolt hole I added and cracked during a hard freeze. I am going to plug the upper hole and weld the frame. I 'll leave the lower hole as a drain.

Oh well...

Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
Turns out it is due to water intrusion as I found rust inside when drilling stop drill holes.

Must have filled up from a bolt hole I added and cracked during a hard freeze...
Perhaps, but I wouldn't assume that. It has had two open slots on the lower leading corner for some time, so there will have been water inside due to those openings. Since the tubing is not coated on the inside, it will have rusted inside.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #13

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
cross member cracking

Years ago with another brand of trailer I welded a hitch receiver on the back across two cross members, put two bicycles on a rack plugged into the receiver and took off for a 1000 mile trip. When arriving I discovered a crack on each side of the receiver through the aft cross piece which was the bumper. The bikes spent rest of the trip inside. I believe the bikes probably did a lot of shaking and caused the cracks. I needed a upper mount attachment to stabilize the bikes.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Years ago with another brand of trailer I welded a hitch receiver on the back across two cross members, put two bicycles on a rack plugged into the receiver and took off for a 1000 mile trip. When arriving I discovered a crack on each side of the receiver through the aft cross piece which was the bumper. The bikes spent rest of the trip inside. I believe the bikes probably did a lot of shaking and caused the cracks. I needed a upper mount attachment to stabilize the bikes.
Jack
Sounds plausible to me.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Sounds plausible to me.
Yup, 3 theories, water, abrasion or torque from the load on the bike rack.

I'm still going with the torque from the bike rack. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
For this to be the result of freezing water, wouldn't the entire frame have to be filled to capacity and then frozen (causing the expansion that would crack the frame)? I find that hard to imagine. If the frame was even half full of water, there'd still likely be plenty of space to accommodate the expansion within the frame and not cause cracking. Hummm ....
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
For this to be the result of freezing water, wouldn't the entire frame have to be filled to capacity and then frozen (causing the expansion that would crack the frame)? I find that hard to imagine.
I don't think freezing is the likely explanation either, but for it to happen only this crossmember would need to be full of water. It is welded to the main frame rail tubes, but there is no opening in the side of the frame tubes so this crossmember is an isolated volume - only this crossmember would fill up if you made a hole in the top and pumped in water.

Also, it might not need to be absolutely full. If you leave water in a bucket with vertical sides, as the ice forms it still pushes against the sides even with the top open, since the ice structure resists flowing to expand upward. I don't know how deep is deep enough.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #18

I am confident that my cracks were due to water expansion. The one bolt I added was very corroded, the bulges looked reasonable for such an event, we didn't use the bike rack that much, and no one else has had a similar problem. I also added another bolt to the side frame and it is still in great shape. I screwed up and didn't seal the leaking bolt and 7 years later I got burned. It gets down in the teens every so often.

Lesson learned is seal all bolts. I am going to remove other bolts and seal them.

Thanks for all the opinions and help. Lots of valid insight. Post if you ever find a crack back there.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 19'
Food for thought....

Glance at an ice cube tray. The water will expand up and not crack the bottom of the cube forming shape .... ever. IF it froze can you imagine it full of water to create the pressure?

Do you have mud flaps? Is the cracked places 'in line' with where debris would fly up from the road?

To me it looks like it could be a combination of factors ... including lower graded, with impurities .. but sold as comparable imported steel.

I see a battery box, is that a pair of 6's or just 1 twelve?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #20

I just have one 12 V battery.