Cracked spray insulation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If that were the case we'd all have cracks in our foam. Keep notes.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #22

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
If you put foam from a can in the crack be sure to put the one that expand the less.as there are different expansion degree.

On ours no crack but foam deteriorated from crush stone from road. Aint gonna happened no more since it has been spray with line X.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Agree, decided to call Escape on Monday and discuss the issue with someone having good knowledge of the trailer. The escape email I got suggested the cracks are "likely from traveling" seems odd after just few thousand miles of freeway travel.
We are also in California . We picked up our trailer to bring her home , and just finished a 6 State trip and numerous trips before . I wish you luck but I am skeptical too. Those look like something stressing . Keep us informed . Keep going to the top for a answer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We are also in California . We picked up our trailer to bring her home , and just finished a 6 State trip and numerous trips before . I wish you luck but I am skeptical too. Those look like something stressing . Keep us informed . Keep going to the top for a answer . Pat
I wouldn’t do anything yet because of your warranty . If it’s not possible to go back to Canada , I would be very afraid to seal up those cracks with spray foam . It should be flexible to just fill not possibly make the cracks open up more . I did a valve mod recently and needed to cut away some of our foam . I use the product Flex Seal . I bought the product in the can in black I could paint on instead of spraying . That way I had more control . It is rubber in a can . I painted it on all my cut away edges . I didn’t want those to get damaged . Our foam is now 6 years old and dryer . I didn’t replace it back on the piping but wrapped those with some foam . Sometimes going down the road a rock with remove a little chunk but no cracks .the Flex Seal is every where now , even at Costco . But first keep getting to the top at Escape for some warranty . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree, expanding foam may make the cracks worse, you want to seal the crack and fill it with something that does not expand..
Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Thanks guys, a lot of good points.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 2019 21'
I would ask eti for a product recommend so that way you know it is compatible with what is on the trailer. Document for your records.
vmomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B (June 2016!)
Your cracks are minor compared to the ones that developed on our 17B on the way home from the factory. I could put 4 fingers in fairly deeply. I think the tanks were empty when the foams was sprayed and as we used the trailer and tanks filled, the tanks expanded and the foam cracked. We live in the States, a long way from the factory and I’m a big DIY person with high standards for the few people that work on my stuff.

I called and talked to Reece and found Escape to be very responsive. They were willing to pay to have the foam re-applied by a local shop in my area. As it seems all the shops in this area had terrible reps, big backlogs for scheduling repairs and knew nothing about Escapes, and given the fact that we were in the midst of lots of adventures with our new trailer, I told Reece I wanted to try repairing it myself. He said to give it a try and if it didn’t work we could go with a warranty repair.

I got a can of regular “Great Stuff” and filled the cracks, avoiding jamming to straw all the way to the bottom of the crack which might fill and expand void between the old foam and the tanks an cause more cracking. The foam expanded out of the crack - aI let it dry and then trimmed it shape with knife. Great Stuff, a lessor retail blend, is not as hard or stout as the commercial foam that comes in steel tanks and applied y builders like Escape. However it has good adhesion, filled the crack and provided some structural integrity to keep the wind, water, etc from the eventually contributing to chunks of the original insulation coming loose.

Fast forward 3 seasons and 20k+ miles...... no problems with cracks reopening or new cracks appearing or chunks blowing off. I’m glad I repaired as I did. I felt I was better off with the original foam application and my repair than taking my chances with the work of some unknown shop. Again, it was my choice - Escape was very responsive.

I know that someday the foam will create a pain for me on some under trailer repair. However, I’m glad to have it. It’s much as it helps prevent freeze-ups in cold, I think payback is bigger in summer with helping insulate trailers and tanks from hot roads and surfaces.

My experience and strategy for what it is worth. Enjoy your trailer and don’t lose too much sleep about this repair. Safe Travels!
ClearDitchRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
thanks for the detailed post.
After speaking with Dustin from Escape on Monday for the second time I went ahead, bought a can of foam sealer from my local HD and used it to seal the cracks. Despite being a diyer all my life I wasn't ready for how messy the stuff is, but I got through it and now time will tell how it's holding up
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I had very poor cell signal for the last week, attached are the pictures of the insulation cracks.
To me, the pictures of the cracking pattern almost looks like they may have been due to an impact with a high spot on the road (maybe high centered going down a driveway through a dip) or even due to contact with some road debris. However, the point of impact would likely show on the foam and I cannot see any obvious areas of compression where that may have occurred.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 just a guess here, maybe when you filled tank it bulged a bit, mine does, and the foam cracked. I would spray it with black paint and see if it gets worse after a few hundred miles. If not fix it with an over the counter spray foam. If it does continue to get worse maybe the tank is loose and warrant a closer look.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #32

Trailer: TBD
I would think the commercial foam is a two or more part mixture and in the cases that the foam cracked might mean the mixture was not optimum.