Cracked toilet valve - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Cracked toilet valve

Getting the trailer out yesterday and getting ready to dewinterize. Accidently cycled the pump and later discovered a puddle of antifreeze on bathroom floor. Found toilet valve cracked at black fitting. In researching a replacement, discovered that this is a typical failure for this valve. Glad to have the optional shutoff ahead of toilet. I ordered two valves, one for spare parts. Valves $22 USD on Amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190621_152619008.jpg (83.8 KB, 52 views)
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Rosewell, New Mexico
Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Posts: 100
Do you happen to have a link? I'm bookmarking tips like yours.
__________________

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,906
That's an excellent price!! I bought mine through a local RV parts department.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toiletvalv.jpg (128.0 KB, 31 views)
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,508
Carl, for the benefit of the group would you mind sharing the particulars of how you winterized and conditions the trailer was subjected to while winterized, or any other thoughts or info about how the failure occurred?
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,659
The picture reveals the valve is full of antifreeze? wonder what happened?
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The picture reveals the valve is full of antifreeze? wonder what happened?
Looking at Amazon reviews it sounds like the plastic at the fitting is prone to cracking, combination of stiff supply line and the usual bouncing around like everything else in a trailer, it is apparently a weak point. There is another valve also on Amazon that claims to be a more durable plastic that holds up better than the original....who knows? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F2SKL...v_ov_lig_dp_it
__________________
David, Mary, and 3 Cats
davidmurphy02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Rosewell, New Mexico
Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Looking at Amazon reviews it sounds like the plastic at the fitting is prone to cracking, combination of stiff supply line and the usual bouncing around like everything else in a trailer, it is apparently a weak point. There is another valve also on Amazon that claims to be a more durable plastic that holds up better than the original....who knows? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F2SKL...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Bookmarked!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,861
I had a showed control break over the winter with anti freeze in it on my last trailer, the goop isn't perfect.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Middlesex County, New Jersey
Trailer: 2019 Trailer 21'
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Looking at Amazon reviews it sounds like the plastic at the fitting is prone to cracking, combination of stiff supply line and the usual bouncing around like everything else in a trailer, it is apparently a weak point. There is another valve also on Amazon that claims to be a more durable plastic that holds up better than the original....who knows? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F2SKL...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Saved the linked product in my Amazon wish list!
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Looking at Amazon reviews it sounds like the plastic at the fitting is prone to cracking, combination of stiff supply line and the usual bouncing around like everything else in a trailer, it is apparently a weak point. There is another valve also on Amazon that claims to be a more durable plastic that holds up better than the original....who knows? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F2SKL...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Same info I found. Didn't see the new improved. I will stick with the factory valves for now. Point of info, trailer was heavily winterized. I go through about 6 gallons of antifreeze with heavy flushing.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Same info I found. Didn't see the new improved. I will stick with the factory valves for now. Point of info, trailer was heavily winterized. I go through about 6 gallons of antifreeze with heavy flushing.
Wow, that is a lot, do you not have the Ez-Winterizing "T" set up or put antifreeze in tank. Even using a hand pump, 2 gallon was all I used, one with the Ez-set up.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, that is a lot, do you not have the Ez-Winterizing "T" set up or put antifreeze in tank. Even using a hand pump, 2 gallon was all I used, one with the Ez-set up.
I have the EZ but prefer filling the tank and pumping through the system. Overkill i know. Use a half gallon in traps. Burp the city water inlet.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post



I have the EZ but prefer filling the tank and pumping through the system. Overkill i know. Use a half gallon in traps. Burp the city water inlet.


So why do you think the valve froze? Antifreeze should have protected it down to minus-whatever-degrees, right? Did it get colder than that? Did you blow out the lines before antifreezing, or just displace the water that was there? I’d like to learn how “what seems should have been good enough” failed.
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
So why do you think the valve froze? Antifreeze should have protected it down to minus-whatever-degrees, right? Did it get colder than that? Did you blow out the lines before antifreezing, or just displace the water that was there? I’d like to learn how “what seems should have been good enough” failed.
The valve did not freeze. Apparently the valve has a known weakness at this fitting and they crack there. Many accounts on line of them being susceptable to vibration and shock. We went through some terrible roads last summer on our Nova Scotia trip. Was hard on my 1Up bike rack too. My guess is the winter temperature swings were enough to finally cause it to fail.

I'll guarantee that it did not freeze, since I pump plenty of antifreeze through the system to purge any water. Typiclly i go through 5 gallon plus. Part of the reason I use so much antifreeze is to avoid having to blow out lines. Some of the stuff that comes out compressed air sources is pretty nasty.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The valve did not freeze. Apparently the valve has a known weakness at this fitting and they crack there. Many accounts on line of them being susceptable to vibration and shock. We went through some terrible roads last summer on our Nova Scotia trip. Was hard on my 1Up bike rack too. My guess is the winter temperature swings were enough to finally cause it to fail.

I'll guarantee that it did not freeze, since I pump plenty of antifreeze through the system to purge any water. Typiclly i go through 5 gallon plus. Part of the reason I use so much antifreeze is to avoid having to blow out lines. Some of the stuff that comes out compressed air sources is pretty nasty.



Of course now that you have a spare, the valve will never fail again!

I had heard tales of the valve cracking when I had the Casita and bought a spare just in case. Six years later, I still have the spare. I carry it with me every trip I make which means I will probably never need it. Isn't that how it always works?
__________________
If It Isn’t Perfect, It Isn’t Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,532
I think we can be so concerned about something breaking or maybe stops working while we're traveling we forget you can adapt. For instance, I'd never consider replacing the toilet supply valve while on the road. Because don't you need to pull the toilet and once that's done also replace the seal between toilet and black water tank? With my luck something would go horribly wrong and then I wouldn't have a toilet at all. I'd shut off the water supply line, flush with jug water and carry on.

I know I'd much prefer doing repairs at home, with all the tools I have and lots of time too.

As long as my trailer is safe to go down the road, I'd treat it like a hard-sided tent! YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think we can be so concerned about something breaking or maybe stops working while we're traveling we forget you can adapt. For instance, I'd never consider replacing the toilet supply valve while on the road. Because don't you need to pull the toilet and once that's done also replace the seal between toilet and black water tank? With my luck something would go horribly wrong and then I wouldn't have a toilet at all. I'd shut off the water supply line, flush with jug water and carry on.

I know I'd much prefer doing repairs at home, with all the tools I have and lots of time too.

As long as my trailer is safe to go down the road, I'd treat it like a hard-sided tent! YMMV

If a part may need to be replaced on the road, I always try it first at home for difficulty and any special tools needed. That said, I found that changing the toilet valve takes about 15 minutes and doesn't require removing the toilet in the 21'. It's really simple to do if you can get to the back of the toilet - I guess if the toilet was butted up to the back wall, it may have to be removed but the Escapes all seem to have enough space behind the toilet.


Oh, a small shaving mirror helps to see what your doing!




__________________
If It Isn’t Perfect, It Isn’t Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 19' 2015
Posts: 42
I had that happen the first winter, in Montana. i drained the system but didn't blow it out. That toilet valve is the one place that doesn't drain (it could have a petcock valve but it doesn't).

I ordered a new valve which came quickly. But I was not able to swap it out without pulling the toilet, which also ended up requiring a new wax ring.

I use the air compressor now, to blow it all out. No trouble since. I don't use anti-freeze in the water system.
__________________

pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×