Danby microwave won't work - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Danby microwave won't work

After three seasons of camping and very light use, the Danby microwave in our 2014 Escape 21 refuses to heat anything.

Since Danby's warranty died before their product did, we plan to replace rather than repair this unit, which raises two questions:

1. I can't find out for myself without removing the unit. Could someone please tell me if the factory-installed microwave on an Escape is hard-wired into a circuit, or simply plugged in to a regular outlet that's out of sight behind it?

2. If someone's trailer microwave is still working well after long service, could you please tell me what brand and model it is? (I'll also check to see if Consumer Reports has rated small microwaves lately).

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It will just be plugged in.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
After three seasons of camping and very light use, the Danby microwave in our 2014 Escape 21 refuses to heat anything.

Since Danby's warranty died before their product did, we plan to replace rather than repair this unit, which raises two questions:

1. I can't find out for myself without removing the unit. Could someone please tell me if the factory-installed microwave on an Escape is hard-wired into a circuit, or simply plugged in to a regular outlet that's out of sight behind it?

2. If someone's trailer microwave is still working well after long service, could you please tell me what brand and model it is? (I'll also check to see if Consumer Reports has rated small microwaves lately).

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this.
We have a 2013 19 . The microwave Escape installed is a Dometic .I believe this one was made for RV 's . It may be able to take bumps going down the road . I think I saw them at camping World . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:33 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
mines just plugged in, it's also a Danby.

FWIW, I had a fuse pop on my last trailers MW, I don't recall if it just didn't heat like yours or was completely dead. It was internal to the unit, had to pull off the shell.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very easy to remove, there are 4 metal brackets holding it in place, just remove, unplug and you are done. You will see a lot of unused space in the rear, that is why I decided to leave mine out and use space a pantry, but that was in my first 19, the 21 has more room.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
While on my initial trip after picking up my trailer I bought a 700W Rival microwave for $50 at Walmart and stuck it in the microwave cabinet. Three years and 20,000+ miles later it's still going. I have to brace it with its packing material and remove the glass plate when I'm traveling, but so far so good.

Given that, I wouldn't buy a ruggedized microwave built for RVs. Same for ruggedized televisions as well. Just buy something cheap and run it until it breaks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
While on my initial trip after picking up my trailer I bought a 700W Rival microwave for $50 at Walmart and stuck it in the microwave cabinet. Three years and 20,000+ miles later it's still going. I have to brace it with its packing material and remove the glass plate when I'm traveling, but so far so good.

Given that, I wouldn't buy a ruggedized microwave built for RVs. Same for ruggedized televisions as well. Just buy something cheap and run it until it breaks.
Grab one of your pool noodles and cut a piece that fits firmly inside against the top and the glass. We used one of our larger ones but the small ones should work fine.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have a 2013 19 . The microwave Escape installed is a Dometic .I believe this one was made for RV 's . It may be able to take bumps going down the road .
We have a Dometic-branded microwave in an RV. I was made by LG (as listed on the sticker which shows the model number, electrical data, etc). While it would be nice if it were ruggedized for RV use, I don't know if it is or not. It did fail in the first year or two, and was replaced under the RV's warranty.

I always assumed that it was the same as LG's equivalent unit for residential use, and was only Dometic-branded so Dometic could have a microwave oven in their product range, allowing an RV manufacturer to have fewer suppliers (this RV also has a Dometic refrigerator and Dometic awnings).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
We have a Dometic-branded microwave in an RV. I was made by LG (as listed on the sticker which shows the model number, electrical data, etc). While it would be nice if it were ruggedized for RV use, I don't know if it is or not. It did fail in the first year or two, and was replaced under the RV's warranty.

I always assumed that it was the same as LG's equivalent unit for residential use, and was only Dometic-branded so Dometic could have a microwave oven in their product range, allowing an RV manufacturer to have fewer suppliers (this RV also has a Dometic refrigerator and Dometic awnings).
We're going on 4 years here soon . But it was bought with trailer if it fails , it will be any small microwave that doesn't cost a arm and leg . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #10

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
microwave

We did not purchase the microwave .Instead we use the cabinet fora small microwave 700 watt size .We had ETI put in a 14 GA. wire to the battery box then when we added a 2000 watt inverter it will work when boondocking .also the cabinet makes it look more finished .We also have the 110 plug that ETI puts in all escapes
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote