DC power outlet size problem - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
When we had our VW Westfalia it a goose neck lamp in the sleeping loft that after a while split on the goose neck. so seeing as I didn't like the light anyway I stripped it back to the wiring that was there and installed a dual port plug in. It proved a lot more useful then the light.

Al
We would plan to install one 12v outlet to each of the bedroom side lights...or maybe one to the light over the counter next to the steps. In that case we would not need this extension cord as the CPAP DC cords would reach the outlet.

Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While one might guess that they should all fit, in a previous discussion (perhaps in another forum) I recall the discovery that there are two relatively common sizes of "lighter" or "accessory" socket. As mentioned earlier, motorcycles might be one common application of the smaller size. All of these sockets are lousy electrical connectors, used only because they were common as lighter sockets; if the whole industry started with a connector for automotive accessory power I'm sure a very different design would be chosen.

The Wikipedia page specs suggest that the smaller size is only about half a millimetre smaller than the larger size, on average, but I have heard of the size variation causing fit problems; those specs say that the even the smallest "size B" plug won't fit into even the largest "size A socket".

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Check the wiring to the lights for gauge dome one posted a wire gauge / DC power draw chart here. I would check with ETI before just connecting to the lights you may blow fuses etc. Why not just swap out the current power ones I am to ones with a black trim and cover for the socket when not in use.

Cypher

I emailed Reace and this was his reply...I think we will be ok...our lights ARE all led and we would likely not have any of them on while the CPAP's are running .

"The wiring for the overheads is 16 gauge wire on a 15 amp fuse. If the lights are LED, there is not much draw on the circuit. Hope that helps."

Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote