DC power outlet size problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Trailer: none
DC power outlet size problem

OK, today I got the 10 foot DC 12v power extension cord I ordered in order to power a CPAP machine. I still need to get the DC cord for the CPAP machine but needed the extension because the DC outlet is under the dinette and the CPAP will be in the loft.

So I go to try out the extension cord and darned if the male end of the extension cord will NOT fit into the DC outlet. No way, no how. Are there different sizes
I tried other DC plugs that we had around. Only one fit...the one for our cell phones.
In the photo below, going from left to right:
1 - plug from cell phone charger - fits fine
2 - plug from voltminder - might fit if I REALLY forced it
3 - extension cord I just got (10') - no way it will fit
4 - plug from a dc splitter...plug 3 into 1 - doesn't fit

Maybe we have to replace the DC outlet Any ideas?? This should not have been so difficult..
Attached Thumbnails
DC power cords.jpg  
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find those metal wings really make some tight and I have manually pushed them in a bit, do you have some dielectric grease, that may help lube the metal to metal and allow ease of penetration and removal( gosh this does not sound like PG material at all!!)
Old 05-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
They should all fit. Try to squeeze in the metal contacts (wings) by hand - they should squeeze in easily. If not I would take a pliers and carefully squash them in a bit (highly technical terms here.) It looks like they stick out plenty far.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
They do come in different lengths, but they should all be a compatible diameter. As others have suggested, maybe the spring wings are a little too strong.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

I'll have to try squeezing those spring clips in I guess....
Sold both 7/22
Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #6

No luck...it even seems the plastic is two large. I've done some internet searching on winegard 12 v outlet problems and found that many others are unable to get the plugs into these outlets. When I say 'these outlets' I mean the one that is part of the faceplate that also has the TV coax cable outlet. It is from Winegard and apparently these are notoriously small...someone said it was so you couldn't plug in anything other than the 12v TV but I'm not sure that makes sense. It is market for a max of 8 amps.

At any rate, it looks like we will need to install 2 new 12v outlets. Is there any reason not to just tap into the wiring for the light fixtures? The purpose would be to run the CPAP machines on them...3.75 amp draw on one and 6.7 amp draw on the other.
Sold both 7/22
Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #7

There are different ones out there meant for wet use Ie boat / motorcycles the design of number three looks a bit different then the others. Do you have a link to where you bought it from?

These guys make some of the wet location ones Powerlet Products - Rugged power outlets, cables and electronics that front groove looks like a lock grove.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
No luck...it even seems the plastic is two large. I've done some internet searching on winegard 12 v outlet problems and found that many others are unable to get the plugs into these outlets. When I say 'these outlets' I mean the one that is part of the faceplate that also has the TV coax cable outlet. It is from Winegard and apparently these are notoriously small...someone said it was so you couldn't plug in anything other than the 12v TV but I'm not sure that makes sense. It is market for a max of 8 amps.

At any rate, it looks like we will need to install 2 new 12v outlets. Is there any reason not to just tap into the wiring for the light fixtures? The purpose would be to run the CPAP machines on them...3.75 amp draw on one and 6.7 amp draw on the other.
Check the wiring to the lights for gauge dome one posted a wire gauge / DC power draw chart here. I would check with ETI before just connecting to the lights you may blow fuses etc. Why not just swap out the current power ones I am to ones with a black trim and cover for the socket when not in use.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0
When we had our VW Westfalia it a goose neck lamp in the sleeping loft that after a while split on the goose neck. so seeing as I didn't like the light anyway I stripped it back to the wiring that was there and installed a dual port plug in. It proved a lot more useful then the light.

Al
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
There are different ones out there meant for wet use Ie boat / motorcycles the design of number three looks a bit different then the others. Do you have a link to where you bought it from?

These guys make some of the wet location ones Powerlet Products - Rugged power outlets, cables and electronics that front groove looks like a lock grove.

Cypher
It is:
Conntek RL-13210-10 DC 12-volt 10-Feet Extension Cord with 10-Amp Fused Cigarette Lighter Plug
Amazon.com: Conntek RL-13210-10 DC 12-volt 10-Feet Extension Cord with 10-Amp Fused Cigarette Lighter Plug: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Sold both 7/22
Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
When we had our VW Westfalia it a goose neck lamp in the sleeping loft that after a while split on the goose neck. so seeing as I didn't like the light anyway I stripped it back to the wiring that was there and installed a dual port plug in. It proved a lot more useful then the light.

Al
We would plan to install one 12v outlet to each of the bedroom side lights...or maybe one to the light over the counter next to the steps. In that case we would not need this extension cord as the CPAP DC cords would reach the outlet.
Sold both 7/22
Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While one might guess that they should all fit, in a previous discussion (perhaps in another forum) I recall the discovery that there are two relatively common sizes of "lighter" or "accessory" socket. As mentioned earlier, motorcycles might be one common application of the smaller size. All of these sockets are lousy electrical connectors, used only because they were common as lighter sockets; if the whole industry started with a connector for automotive accessory power I'm sure a very different design would be chosen.

The Wikipedia page specs suggest that the smaller size is only about half a millimetre smaller than the larger size, on average, but I have heard of the size variation causing fit problems; those specs say that the even the smallest "size B" plug won't fit into even the largest "size A socket".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Check the wiring to the lights for gauge dome one posted a wire gauge / DC power draw chart here. I would check with ETI before just connecting to the lights you may blow fuses etc. Why not just swap out the current power ones I am to ones with a black trim and cover for the socket when not in use.

Cypher

I emailed Reace and this was his reply...I think we will be ok...our lights ARE all led and we would likely not have any of them on while the CPAP's are running .

"The wiring for the overheads is 16 gauge wire on a 15 amp fuse. If the lights are LED, there is not much draw on the circuit. Hope that helps."
Sold both 7/22