Dead 110V outlet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Dead 110V outlet

2015 Escape 19:

I just found that the 110V outlet that is to the left of the kitchen sink is not working. The other three 110V outlets in the trailer work fine (bedside by the stove, under the refrigerator and under the right side dinette seat). I checked the breakers and the fuses, all are fine. I checked the wires into the outlet and there is no current coming in.

As the wires are in flexible conduit and this conduit goes behind the cabinets under the kitchen counter, I cannot access them to see where the problem might be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on identifying and fixing the problem?
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46indian View Post
2015 Escape 19:

I just found that the 110V outlet that is to the left of the kitchen sink is not working. The other three 110V outlets in the trailer work fine (bedside by the stove, under the refrigerator and under the right side dinette seat). I checked the breakers and the fuses, all are fine. I checked the wires into the outlet and there is no current coming in.

As the wires are in flexible conduit and this conduit goes behind the cabinets under the kitchen counter, I cannot access them to see where the problem might be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on identifying and fixing the problem?
Reset the GFCI on the outside outlet of the trailer. That's where the kitchen outlet gets it's power by connecting to the "load" terminals on the GFCI.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #3

I had looked for the GFCI before and was unable to locate any. I just went into the trailer to check again. None of the outlets have a GFCI reset.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The one right under the kitchen counter should be a GFCI and the one standard outside, on the passenger side near the rear should also be a GFCI.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
I had looked for the GFCI before and was unable to locate any. I just went into the trailer to check again. None of the outlets have a GFCI reset.
Take a look at the pic - the outside outlet with the GFCI is right above the red line. Pop the cover open and press the reset.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 19.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

I forgot about the exterior outlet. It does have a GFCI reset button. It is the only outlet that does. There are none inside the trailer that I can find (so far).

That being said, I reset the exterior GFCI but it did no good. The outlet to the right of the sink near the door still does not work. The other three do.

I believe that none of the outlets would work if the GFCI was tripped.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
I forgot about the exterior outlet. It does have a GFCI reset button. It is the only outlet that does. There are none inside the trailer that I can find (so far).

That being said, I reset the exterior GFCI but it did no good. The outlet to the right of the sink near the door still does not work. The other three do.

I believe that none of the outlets would work if the GFCI was tripped.
The only outlet fed from the outside GFCI is the one near the kitchen sink. The other outlets are not GFCI protected - power for those outlets are not commoned with the two GFCI protected outlets.

Check power at the outside GFCI outlet - if it has power - then check the load terminals on the GFCI to see if they have power. If the load terminals don't have power but the GFCI outlet does and it's not tripped, then you have a bad GFCI. A trip to Lowes/Home Depot is on order to get another one to replace it.

The A/C wiring from your kitchen outlet goes straight to the load terminals on the outside GFCI. The power to the outside GFCI outlet comes from the converter panel breaker and connects to the "line" terminals on the outside GFCI outlet.

If you have power on the "line" terminals (from converter breaker) but no power on the "load" terminals (which goes to kitchen outlet), the GFCI is either tripped or bad.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #8

Success!

Checked the exterior GFCI again and had no power to it. So, I pushed the reset again and heard it engage and had power at the exterior outlet and the interior outlet that was not working. (I guess I did not press the reset hard enough earlier.)

Many thanks to all for helping me solve this problem.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Success!

Checked the exterior GFCI again and had no power to it. So, I pushed the reset again and heard it engage and had power at the exterior outlet and the interior outlet that was not working. (I guess I did not press the reset hard enough earlier.)

Your welcome!

Trust me - your not the first to scratch your head over the GFCI.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gfci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Your welcome!

Trust me - your not the first to scratch your head over the GFCI.
I reset mine once and it still did not work. I did not listen for the click. I used a pencil eraser to push it in the second time and it clicked and worked from then on. My fingers are a little wide to put the point pressure on the little reset button it seems. Glad to hear it’s working. As stated , this comes up a few times a year and sometimes in campgrounds too.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Success!

Glad you got the problem solved. After I read post #6 I just couldn’t figure out how to politely say to check the GFI again. I knew Tom had taken you down the right path.