Dehumidifier for trailer? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Old 03-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #31
Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I used Dri-Z-Airs in my sailboat, which was berthed in the harbor where, naturally, it's always humid. Made the mistake of spilling a full container once on the fabric upholstery. That area ended up being almost perpetually damp until the covers came off for machine washing. Even had to wash out the inside foam.
I hear ya! After a couple of spills, we called it quits on the salty stuff. Just happened to run into a fellow camper who turned us onto the Eva-Dry units. Like the fact we can use these a long time, hopefully!

oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #32
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So you are saying the a/c is not big enough to "condition" the air as it should? Maybe a 13,500 BTU unit would work better for those in the south just as the texas fan option helps the refrigerator. The a/c should operate to where both the temperature and humidity is comfortable. An oversize unit will cause the unit to operate in short spurts of on and off. A properly sized unit will run until the thermostat shuts it off and hopefully the inside air will be properly conditioned, both temperature and humidity wise. Too small of a unit will mean it runs non stop, never reaching the off set point. How does your a/c operate and which unit do you have?
That is not what I said at all. A/C units are controlled by a thermostat and shut off based upon temperature. That does not mean excessive humidity is removed when the thermostat shuts the cooling cycle off. I have a three ton heat pump in my house. If I ran it long enough to lower humidity to acceptable levels I would be shivering. I run a separate dehumidifier as well as the heat pump to keep humidity levels acceptable. It all comes down to the fact that the climatic conditions vary in different parts of the country. If I camp in the northern states, the A/C does an acceptable job of keeping the humidity down. If you doubt what I am saying, might I suggest you camp in the Florida Keys in August.

2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #33
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I have heard of, but not tried, running the A/C and the heat at the same time for this purpose.
As Bob and Carl explained, sometimes you need to remove moisture even after enough heat has been removed. Since a dehumidifier works by cooling air to the point that the water comes out by condensation, then dumping the heat right back into the air, running the A/C plus heat does essentially the same thing. A dehumidifier is much more efficient, because it puts the heat taken out of the air back, while running A/C and a heater means throwing the heat taken out of the air away, and using more energy to replace it.

Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote