Dehumidifier for trailer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Dehumidifier for trailer?

We happily just took delivery last week of our nice little Escape 15A trailer and have been reading in manual about cautions/concerns for condensation or moisture. Looked on Amazon and there are several inexpensive wireless models (under $30) that get some good reviews for doing about 500 cu.ft. area. Any thoughts or suggestions on experience with such? Our humidity in Seattle, in spite of ample rain at times, is not so bad most of the year. Thanks for any advice or brand-name/model suggestions.

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Totally neat for you! The best advice I can give you, is after camping.. stand the cushions on their short side. Don't leave them laying down. You need to get air moving through the foam.

My solution may not work for others, works for me and is passive. I use Dry-Z-Air inside my trailer. No electricy needed! I just need to pay attention to the needs of the container. Works for me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use two Dri-Z-Air containers with the crystals ( bought in bulk ). But, I only use these over the winter while the trailer is closed up and unused.
Rest of the year, I'll just open the Maxxfan vent and maybe crack a window.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I tried the wireless model and could rarely remember to check it plus it was a PITA to bake out when needed. Dri-Z container in the sink is far simpler.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
I run the following dehumidifier at night. It's quiet, efficient, keeps the RH under 50%, and stores easily in the closet during the day.

http://www.amazon.com/EcoSeb-DD122EA...+White%2C+120V
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KC Seattle View Post
We happily just took delivery last week of our nice little Escape 15A trailer...
Would LOVE to see some pictures! (I don't think this one is the last one?)
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:21 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Like Jeff & Karen we carry a small electric one. I like theirs better so won't post ours. Probably too big to bother with for the 15.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
I use 2 dry-z-air containers in my 2014 17B when stored, and close all windows and vents. I'm located in Parksville on Vancouver so humidity is high. As Glen said you just need to dump out the removed water and add crystals a few times over the course of the winter. I also remove all items from the trailer when I winterize it including the cushions and store them in the house. I run my hand inside the cupboards and surfaces when I check the containers and they are always dry. My trailer is stored away from the residence and so don't have access to power, this method of moisture control appears to work well for me.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #9

Thanks for input on dehumidifier issue - here's pic of our 15A

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Would LOVE to see some pictures! (I don't think this one is the last one?)
Hi Karen,
Don't know if this pic will come thru, but it is of it's final day coming through assembly and cleaning process. May well not be the last 15 ft. rig, but was surprised when we read this small line is being discontinued... we're just glad we ordered when we did last July 2014!
- King
Attached Thumbnails
K&K 15A final.jpg  

Old 03-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Nice one!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Are those some kind of snaps that you had them install? All along the lower half of the trailer?
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #12

The snaps on the door-side of trailer are for the optional screen-room we ordered to camp, and sit out, where there may be lots of bugs. The screen room attaches to the extended awning and has a zipper-door on side parallel to side of trailer, and two sides snap to side of trailer. Haven't tried it yet, but sure have been in many places where this would have been nice on a nice day outdoors, so we added it to our order. Hope that answers the question?
- King

Old 03-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Thanks King, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Beautiful camper! The 15A is the one my wife and I ordered originally, but she wanted the 17 and talked me into it. I would have preferred the 15 footer. Congrats!
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Beautiful!! I know you'll love yours as well as I do mine. Regarding a dehumidifier, I only use one of those plastic canister thingies filled with the crystals when the trailer is in (undercover, no power) storage. Since I bring the trailer out of storage at least every other month in the winter to go camping, they have lasted longer than I would have thought. Similar to this: Amazon.com: DampRid FG60 Refillable Moisture Absorber, 2-Pack: Home & Kitchen
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Screen room on 17B
Attached Thumbnails
awning and screen room.jpg  
Old 03-16-2015, 02:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I bought a little electric dehumidifier love it it really fills up I keep the trailer plugged in most of the time it really helps
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KC Seattle View Post
We happily just took delivery last week of our nice little Escape 15A trailer and have been reading in manual about cautions/concerns for condensation or moisture. Looked on Amazon and there are several inexpensive wireless models (under $30) that get some good reviews for doing about 500 cu.ft. area. Any thoughts or suggestions on experience with such? Our humidity in Seattle, in spite of ample rain at times, is not so bad most of the year. Thanks for any advice or brand-name/model suggestions.
I'm a fan of the Eva-Dry dehumidifiers. We have a small arsenal of them, in different sizes. The smaller units travel with us and work well in cabinets and the closet. They absorb 8 to 10 oz, depending on size and plug into (exterior) outlets to dry out overnight. The small electric dehumidifier runs when we at home and keeps the moisture down. The smaller units have a 10 year guarantee. Got them all from Amazon.

We used the Damp Rid canisters and hanging bags for years and they work well, too. We just had a problem with the containers getting knocked over or busted (with the bags) with clumsy feet and hands, sometimes. The resulting mess wasn't worth it.

The Eva Dry portable dehumidifiers do take 8 to 12 hours or so to dry out, after being plugged in to a 120 outlet. When traveling in the Casita, this was a challenge. In the new Escape, I think renewing the units will be much easier using the invertor and an extension cord outside.
Peace,
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:56 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Utah, mainly Arches, was our Escape 21's maiden voyage last year. I also highly recommend the Devil's Garden and looping back via the primitive trail. Take all the side branches to see the various arches. A selection of photos from that trip can be viewed here.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In the new Escape, I think renewing the units will be much easier using the invertor and an extension cord outside.
Peace,
Gae

Seems to me if you can plug them in outside then you really do not need them. I always thought dehumidifiers were for winter time and storage. In the summer with the trailer open I doubt you will need them. If it gets too humid, close up and turn on the a/c.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In the summer with the trailer open I doubt you will need them. If it gets too humid, close up and turn on the a/c.
Perhaps that works in PA and in the less humid northern states, but in the southern states where humidity rules during the summer months even if you run the A/C 24/7, it cannot keep up with the natural moisture in the air plus that which is added by moisture exhaled with every breath in the relatively small space of a fiberglass trailer. I have seen humidity levels of 85% upon waking in the morning, even with the A/C running and a vent cracked to allow warm, moisture-laden air to escape. Even higher (90%) if vent is closed. It doesn't help that natural humidity is frequently in the upper 80s or lower 90s.