Dexter E-Z-Lube axles - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Dexter E-Z-Lube axles

Has anyone ordered this unknown option from Escape? I had assumed E-Z-Lube was standard on our Escapes. This feature allows one to grease their axle via auto type grease gun.Most of my other trailers have this feature as standard. The ease would certainly make me lube my axle more frequently than having a rv dealer remove and repack the bearings. I wish I had known we could have requested this labor saving option. I wonder if the standard Dexter can be converted with those Bearing Buddies I see advertised for trailers?
Anyone else convert their axle or have ideas or knowledge about the E-Z-Lube feature? Thanks

Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Bearing Buddies do not grease the inner bearing. They were really made for boat trailers that go in the water. When you pump grease into the hub it comes out the back side. Boat trailer do not have electric brakes or wheel seals. It is not a very hard job to do the bearing pack once a year with the proper tools.

ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Does anyone know the model information on the Escape 19 Dexter axle, is it 2500# , I can not find my axle information with my packet from Escape. Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have never really been confindent that the "bearing buddy" quick lube was a great way to service the wheel bearings, Its really isn't hard to properly service the bearings and properly inspect them, I have seen some boat trailers with wheels missing because the owners thought they were doing the right thing with just puming grease in there and not properly disasembling and inspecting the brearings and races for wear and adjusting them properly. I my opinion there is too much to go wrong if these aren't in good repair.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Jim...I pulled a Casita all over the US with Bearing Buddies factory installed on a Casita (Dexter Axle). In the 10 years of travel, I never had a problem and never had the hubs off. I was either lucky or perhaps they do work. All my salt water boat trailers have had them also. And they do have rear seals. Add too much and you blow the rear seals. The new Buddy Bearing II help prevent that. I would like install them on my Escape also.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Yes I ordered them with our 15b. To clarify, Bearing Buddies and EZ lube are two different critters. You cannot add them as they are part of the axle. It was a $75 option and it has to be ordrred early. We had bearing problems with our previous trailer and I wanted the ability to lube on the road. Also the aluminum rim hub covers make it difficult to use the EZ lube as you would have to remove the wheel. I opted for the steel wheels with the plastic cover do I can get to the EZ lube zerk fitting. You can see a picture of the EZ lube hub on the March 1 build of our trailer here com/site/ourescape15trailer/the-build. Notice the black removable cover.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Try again

https://sites.google.com/site/ouresc...iler/the-build

Didn't get the whole address.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Escape 19ft come with a 3500# axles.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I suppose part of my problem with anything of this nature is that I am a person who likes to see for my self the condition of things. So to take a few minutes to take something apart and verify for myself that all is well makes me more comfortable than just pumping grease into a zirk and hoping for the best. The reality is that wheel bearings with proper maintenance shouldn't be a issue unless overlaoded.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Site Team

Now I'm confused, in the discussion of the 21' model Reace said that the "Axles will be 3000 lb capacity torflex axles" and supposedly the present 19' has 2500# Dexter axles (x4), but Chuck in post#8 relates 3500# axles. Can we clarify the correct Dexter axle on the 19 for discussion purposes? Thanks.