Different Tire Width on Escape 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I look forward to any contribution that helps SOLVE a problem. If it's just to complain, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I look forward to any contribution that helps SOLVE a problem. If it's just to complain, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or at least try to help solve the problem.

I keep waiting to see some more used Escape trailers for sale from those who seem to have nothing but complaints. There are other makes available

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Or at least try to help solve the problem.

I keep waiting to see some more used Escape trailers for sale from those who seem to have nothing but complaints. There are other makes available
So you aren't allowed to voice the problems you find wrong with your trailer ? I'm sorry others need to know about these problems . Looks like we need to do our own quality control . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
You might want to check the rim sizes as well. ST205's can be mounted on 5" wide rims - ST225's require a minimum of 6" wide rims.

Do all your rim widths match?
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When Paul related that his X chocks were not interchangeable, I wondered to myself why they wouldn't be because the two I have are. Like a
lot of things, there's a lot of variables. And, without more facts a conclusion was only speculative. I'm glad we now have all the facts and for those who have original tires it would probably be prudent to check the sidewall for sizes. Someone mentioned manufacture dates. If you did not know, there's a little oval about an inch long on the sidewall with four numbers in the oval. This is the week and year the tire was made. Hence a number like 2215 would
be the 22nd week of 2015 or mid June of 2015. This is handy to make sure you're getting fresh tires all made at about the same time. I bought a utility trailer a few years back. It
had only three nuts on one wheel and the other two were cross threaded. They sent me to a local shop to get two new studs pressed in and two more lug nuts. Good companies stand behind their products. Escape is a good company. I'm sure they'll take care of Paul.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
You might want to check the rim sizes as well. ST205's can be mounted on 5" wide rims - ST225's require a minimum of 6" wide rims.

Do all your rim widths match?
That will be important at tire replacement time.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
"So you aren't allowed to voice the problems you find wrong with your trailer ?

There is a difference between posting a problem and seeking a solution or just making unsubstantiated accusations for no apparent reason.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
There is a Dutch saying: "waar gewerkt wordt worden fouten gemaakt", translated: "where a job gets done, mistakes can happen". ETI does a good job, delivers quality products, but yes: mistakes can happen. The best part: they will do their utmost best to solve whatever problem once people let THEM know.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:59 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
My mistake, it is a typo on my part. Both tires are R75, however one pair are ST225 and the other pair are ST205, as is the spare.
That makes sense:
ST205/75R15 (normal for Escape) and ST225/75R15 (oddball).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Paul - that makes it even an easier mistake by someone at ETI's tire supplier to make. But it also means that there is more difference in circumference of the two sides and it's something I would want to remedy.
An easier mistake, because it's another normal size that's only one digit different. I do wonder why someone wouldn't notice something a little strange about assembling an order for a customer who buys a thousand tires a year, all of the same size, and putting in two which were different.

I agree that this makes the diameter difference 30 mm (over an inch), which is not only very noticeable with the chocks, but must be detrimental to towing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:03 AM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
The ST225 x 15" are used on the 5.0 Classic which hasn't been made for the last two years.
I thought they were ST215/75R15, but that was just from memory. Since the 5.0 size matches what Paul got, I suppose it's possible that these were two leftover tires (or stocked as replacements for 5.0 customers), and accidentally put on Paul's trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
There is a Dutch saying: "waar gewerkt wordt worden fouten gemaakt", translated: "where a job gets done, mistakes can happen". ETI does a good job, delivers quality products, but yes: mistakes can happen. The best part: they will do their utmost best to solve whatever problem once people let THEM know.
Both this saying, and your mention of how Escape deals with things are very true. Kinda like the North American saying, "Stuff happens". (methinks you all know the proper wordage)

Doing custom renovations myself, we often have things not go perfectly, and have to correct for them. Our customers often never see them, and when they do just appreciate that we handle the changes effectively and efficiently. This in no way lessens their opinion of our work, and in fact often makes them appreciate what we are doing for them. As I work solely from referrals with no advertising of any kind, having this customer loyalty is a must for my success.

Sure, like Escape, I have had a couple of customers that I just can't seem to please, but I take pride in knowing most of them also take pride in the product we supply.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I recently replaced all four tires, with Carlisle ST205/75 R15/8's. My tire guy gave me the choice of 8-ply or 4-ply tires. The replaced factory tires were 4-ply (after 22,000 miles). He said the trailer makers were switching to the 8-ply tire. Wondering now if Escape is making that switch.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 19'
Specs on "Nameplate" lists minimum tire size

Don't let the "21" in the "model" block fool you. ETI put a "21" on the Nameplate, it's really a "19". They told me to cross out the "21" but now I'm wondering if the other info is or a "21" or a "19"?

I've posted this so you can look inside your closet (if that is where it is) and look over the details too. I doubt mine is the only one with errors ... haste makes waste
Attached Thumbnails
1 ETI label 21 instead of 19 and tire size.jpg  
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Don't let the "21" in the "model" block fool you. ETI put a "21" on the Nameplate, it's really a "19". They told me to cross out the "21" but now I'm wondering if the other info is or a "21" or a "19"?

I've posted this so you can look inside your closet (if that is where it is) and look over the details too. I doubt mine is the only one with errors ... haste makes waste
Klem Thankyou for the head's up in a few going to check my tires and the label . Pat
Old 06-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I checked mine, made a couple of months before you Klem. Numbers are the same and trailer size is correct.

Glad I checked though. Depends on what you do with the trailer whether the situation about the incorrect trailer size could create a problem. I certainly wouldn't want to have crossed out and hand written info on the manufacturers label when crossing into another country. Sometimes they do check things. Definitely wouldn't have crossed into Mexico with that situation. I'd insist that ETI supply a proper label.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I checked mine, made a couple of months before you Klem. Numbers are the same and trailer size is correct.

Glad I checked though. Depends on what you do with the trailer whether the situation about the incorrect trailer size could create a problem. I certainly wouldn't want to have crossed out and hand written info on the manufacturers label when crossing into another country. Sometimes they do check things. Definitely wouldn't have crossed into Mexico with that situation. I'd insist that ETI supply a proper label.

Ron
Ron .
Old 06-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post

Klem my sticker is correct and my tires are all the same size . We picked up in Nov of 2013 only after a wait of 4 months to pick up . Things were not that busy then . Pat
Old 06-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you need to clarify your statement please do so via a p/m versus restating your issue on the thread, thank you.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just checked my trailer specs nameplate. It's a 19 all right. Tongue weight, 396 pounds, GVW 4,008 pounds, cargo capacity 981 pounds. Interesting thing is the plaque claims it requires a Class 3 hitch.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow that sounds heavy Myron, my 21' was 500/3800 on scales loaded. According to ETI the 19'
specs: Approx. Dry hitch weight 256 lbs
Approx. Dry axle weight 2354 lbs
Approx. Total dry weight 2610 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 4000 lbs

on edit, my mistake, you were giving your plaque info, not actual weights, correct?