Different Tire Width on Escape 21 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #51

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Just checked my trailer specs nameplate. It's a 19 all right. Tongue weight, 396 pounds, GVW 4,008 pounds, cargo capacity 981 pounds. Interesting thing is the plaque claims it requires a Class 3 hitch.
Why does the tongue weight differ so much from the dry tongue weight of 256?
Any recommendations for keeping the tongue weight under 350? (19' with storage box and dual battery)

Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Interesting discrepancy in labels. It looks like about 80 lbs. difference between Klems and Myrons trailers for cargo capacity.

Maybe the number's fluid as they make changes.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Perhaps with a full tank of fresh and perhaps one empty propane may get you 350, you need to get one of these and try different combo's http://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-10...sherline+scale
What is your tow vehicle spec's?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Quite likely as they make changes to standard items. I am real curious to see how heavy the new ones are out of the new moulds. Shoulda checked in Osoyoos.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Interesting discrepancy in labels. It looks like about 80 lbs. difference between Klems and Myrons trailers for cargo capacity.

38 kg according to the labels, but they're not identically equipped. The sheets (posted by both Klem and Myron) don't show how they are equipped for batteries, cargo box, or solar panels, but even if all of those are identical Myron has an additional microwave oven, yet has the lower trailer weight (higher cargo capacity). I suspect other equipment differences.

It would be nice to get a build sheet showing all options with their weights and contribution to tongue weight, but to be fair I don't have anything like that for any of the RVs I've owned.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
We're a long way from "different tire width on an Escape 21".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Why does the tongue weight differ so much from the dry tongue weight of 256?
Filling propane tanks would account for 40 pounds of that difference. There are potentially also a larger battery or dual batteries (tongue-mounted in this 19' model), a power tongue jack, and options in the interior ahead of the axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Any recommendations for keeping the tongue weight under 350? (19' with storage box and dual battery)
You could skip the dual batteries and/or relocate the battery or batteries to further from the front (e.g. under the front dinette seat immediately in front of the door). Keeping the tongue weight of a 19' under 350 pounds yet maintaining good balance and stability will not be trivial, especially with a 40-pound box containing a bunch of stuff sitting on the tongue. (I have considered this for our van).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm aware that on certain truck camper websites that the weight of accessories are shown as the weight of a truck camper seems to be more critical than for travel trailers.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

38 kg according to the labels, but they're not identically equipped. T.
I have Klems' cargo capacity at 407 kg./895 lbs. and Myrons' at 445 kg./979 lbs., an 84 lb. difference.

So maybe the label is updated year-to-year. Not too much difference but anyone cutting it close, really close might want to check their label.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Maybe one trailer contains more angst than the other.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Customer Service Personified

Imagine my surprise at finding an email this AM from Reace asking about my mismatched tires. We exchanged information and before I started eating my lunch I had a recommendation to change out the oversized tires, not with urgency, but at my convenience. Once completed I was to send a copy of the invoice to Escape for reimbursement.

It appears that these discontinued tires somehow got into the tire system and were applied by mistake. I checked and the ST225 R75/15 had a born on date of week 36 in 2012. I was able to get one date on the other tires. (Have you tried to read tire dates on the inner sidewall wall, I like to think of myself as fairly flexible, but it was not fun). That had a date of week 4 in 2014 and corresponds more with my build date.

Escape also apologized for for any inconvenience.

I was surprised and at the same time pleased. I should not have been surprised. There has been numerous mention on these pages of similar events when Escape has gone above and beyond what is necessary to resolve a problem. I call it a problem for lack of a better word, it was the classic example of an issue being posted on the forum and members joining in with suggestions. Thank you for the numerous replies and thank you to Escape for being so attentive.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote