Dimensions Request of 5.0 TA, electric standing desk - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
Dimensions Request of 5.0 TA, electric standing desk

Hi All,

I'm considering doing a significant mod for my new 5th wheel where I plan to build a standing desk(adjustable to normal and sleeping positions) instead of the dining table. I will be asking Escape to delete one of the benches so I can have my office chair there instead. The electric desk I plan to use: https://www.fully.com/jarvis-adjusta...sk-bamboo.html

The question I have for existing owners is if standing in front of the overhead cabinet space will be comfortable enough(I'm 6 feet tall). Does anyone have exact dimensions of the dining area including heights below and around the overhead cabinets? What is the height of the default desk when converted for sleeping? The Jarvis desks' minimum height is 23.75 inches. I've asked escape for the dimensions, I'm awaiting response but that it would be good to ask ya'll.

Also, I intend to max out my solar capacity on the roof. Has anyone done this? Anyone have roof dimensions? I wonder how many panels I could fit up there, say 100 w panels (42.2 x 19.6 x 1.4 inches)

thanks!
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Think I'd check to see if they'll let you delete the bench before giving it too much thought. Might not be able to fit all the standard components in just one bench, or even be willing to do the work required to do such.

Depends on what you get on your roof. With the Jack antenna and A/C, I can fit a 100w between the vent and the A/C, and a 160 or 170 behind the A/C. Might get another 100 in front of the Jack but it would be forward facing and might be prone to road debris, bugs, and such so I didn't consider it.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Think I'd check to see if they'll let you delete the bench before giving it too much thought. Might not be able to fit all the standard components in just one bench, or even be willing to do the work required to do such.

Depends on what you get on your roof. With the Jack antenna and A/C, I can fit a 100w between the vent and the A/C, and a 160 or 170 behind the A/C. Might get another 100 in front of the Jack but it would be forward facing and might be prone to road debris, bugs, and such so I didn't consider it.
I think the bench adds to the rigidity of the lower portion of the hull. It may be too flexy without it, asking Escape before planning too much is good advice.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post
Also, I intend to max out my solar capacity on the roof. Has anyone done this? Anyone have roof dimensions? I wonder how many panels I could fit up there, say 100 w panels (42.2 x 19.6 x 1.4 inches)
thanks!
Those dimensions appear to be the same as the Renogy 100w compact design panels?

The raised portion of the roof is 42"

Regarding your bench removal question I do not believe ETI can delete the bench as mechanical/electronics are located under them.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You can do anything you want to your trailer after you get it as long as you're not concerned with any warranty.

The only cabinet, you may be able to remove (after the fact) depends on whether or not you get a u-shape dinette. IF you do, the battery(ies) are along the back wall and the water heater is in the drivers side rear bench. There's nothing under the passenger side rear bench. BUT, it's not full length... it doesn't go all the way to the back wall (remember those batteries?)

I don't know if what you plan to do would fit in that area. I think it's an interesting idea. AND, you'd need to figure out a way to 'stiffen' the fiberglass. Maybe kerfed plywood, fiberglassed to the exterior wall? On the inside of course

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #6

Yes, those are the Renogy panels(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GF5JY35...ing=UTF8&psc=1)

Is the 5.0 TA roof relatively flat? I'm not going to install the A.C. unit or the antennae so I'm hoping to install around 800 watts of solar up there....
Old 01-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

Is the 5.0 TA roof relatively flat? I'm not going to install the A.C. unit or the antennae so I'm hoping to install around 800 watts of solar up there....
No, even the trolley top portion is rounded a bit.

Even if you don't get A/C or any other roof-top options, you'll have three vents. The big egress vent over the loft, the MaxxFan in the middle... as you step inside the door, and the passive 14x14 vent over the rear dinette. You'll need to fit your solar panels in among those items.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

thanks!
Jim Bennett would be the guy to talk to about solar for the 5.0TA.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ion-10273.html
Old 01-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Jim Bennett would be the guy to talk to about solar for the 5.0TA.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ion-10273.html
Except that a Jim has “only” 240W. To add 800W will be a feat of engineering on a 5.0TA. I hope there is a post if this is done. With that much solar and a 2500W inverter I’d be able to run my mini-split A/C!
Old 01-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is the why for 800 watts?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe they want to charge their car?..........
Old 01-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
Site Team

I'm curious about the batteries. Solar doesn't power anything. The drawback is the batteries. They can only store so much...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #13

Batteries

I intend to install a tesla model s battery module that has over 5kw/h of energy, hence the desire to have 900 watts of solar on the roof. The hope is to power my fridge, induction cooktop, electric standing desk, occasion a.c. , etc etc. I plan to boondock quite a bit.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
I intend to install a tesla model s battery module that has over 5kw/h of energy, hence the desire to have 900 watts of solar on the roof. The hope is to power my fridge, induction cooktop, electric standing desk, occasion a.c. , etc etc. I plan to boondock quite a bit.
Maybe you have seen this?
https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/tom...-tesla-battery

Pretty cool if you are an electrical engineer and most likely overwhelmingly complicated if you are not. Need considerable space for the battery and all the electronics.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #15

I am an e.e. actually and I've seen the Mortons on the move series. The most important thing will be keeping on eye on the voltages by programming the charge controller appropriately. Also will need to ensure temperatures dont fall too low or go too high to keep the battery healthy.

Doesnt seem like anyone else had maxed out on solar with a 5.0 ta so I'll post my final setup once it's all set.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
I am an e.e. actually...
Well there you go! Just an ME here trying to hang with all the electrical speak.

Quote:
Doesn't seem like anyone else had maxed out on solar with a 5.0 ta so I'll post my final setup once it's all set.
Yes! Please do.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Dinette area: 7’ wide by 4’ deep. 6’-6’4” ceiling
Benches: 2’ deep 3’ between them
Cabinets: 14” deep with 59” from bottom to floor
🤔You plan to fit not only a desk but an office chair, and still being able to use as a bed? Good luck🤨 How big is that battery and what’s it weigh? Where do you plan on putting it?
With only 1 bench that space would be hard pressed to hold the stock batteries, electrical components and hot water heater. It also wouldn’t do the trailers balance any good.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
But he must have already figured that out, after all he is an e.e. Escape engineer.....
Old 01-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The Tesla solution does require a good amount of space. I would think the AMSolar packages would be a more suited path for the smaller trailers, but I'm not an EE and would need it laid out for me like the AMSolar kits.
https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-k...-battery-banks

My buddies Tesla module is a 400ah and by the time you buy all the parts one needs to step it down to 12v etc. and retro fit he is going to easily have the $5k AMSolar has the 400ah kit priced for.
Some folks just enjoy the project of redesigning a use for something and making it work even though both paths probably end up at the same place. At least there are paths available for whichever way you want to go.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #20

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But he must have already figured that out, after all he is an e.e. Escape engineer.....

EE can mean many things. Didn't see Escape engineer or eggnog expert on this list, tho :

https://www.abbreviations.com/EE