Dinette cushion thickness - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21'
Dinette cushion thickness

Can someone tell me the thickness of the cushions on the dinette bed?
I'm hoping to make a fitted sheet from a flat, and need measurements for the thickness. (I have length and width).
Thanks in advance -
Picking up in May!
hollyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt View Post
Can someone tell me the thickness of the cushions on the dinette bed?
I'm hoping to make a fitted sheet from a flat, and need measurements for the thickness. (I have length and width).
Thanks in advance -
Picking up in May!
Mine are 4". I don't know if that's changed since 2015, but I think not.

One tip however: the cushions alone make for some hard sleeping. Many people use a latex or foam topper. Much more comfortable.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We had an egg crate type foam piece for the “cushion” bed in our 19. Worked ok ( course I never slept on it) but guests said it was good. On our bed we had a gel filled memory foam topper, very comfortable but like wrestling an anaconda if you had to take it out which we did during the winter. Cold it’s like a morgue slab. In our 21 we have a Casper mattress on the bed. Very Nice. We got a new eggcrate topper for the “cushion bed” and have had no complaints from visitors.
Just my $.02
Iowa Dave
Old 04-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
I’ve heard a lot of great things about Casper mattresses! What size do you have in your 21? I checked their website and didn’t see ant full XL ones; they only seem to offer full or queen...
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gaposis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
I’ve heard a lot of great things about Casper mattresses! What size do you have in your 21? I checked their website and didn’t see ant full XL ones; they only seem to offer full or queen...
We have the full because a queen would have to be trimmed the whole length as it would be too wide. That said, the full is about 6 inches short so we have a gap at the head end. That’s not a problem as we’re not that tall. I was 6’2” when we got married but nearly 48 years of getting beaten up has left me about 5” shorter than that. During the day this gap holds our sleeping pillows and the decorative pillows are on the bed. While sleeping, the decorative pillows are in the gap and the sleepers are under my head. We are using queen sheets according to my decorator. On the top is a coverlet which my seamstress altered to fit the cut off corner and the square corner. When you come to the Mississippi you’re welcome to look it over and “try it out”. We’re getting ready to go out shortly so I’ll take a couple pictures for you when we get it made tomorrow. Plenty of support for my more than ample carcass.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Mine are 4". I don't know if that's changed since 2015, but I think not.

One tip however: the cushions alone make for some hard sleeping. Many people use a latex or foam topper. Much more comfortable.
Some people can sleep on those cushions but I don't think that I am one of them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We have the full because a queen would have to be trimmed the whole length as it would be too wide. That said, the full is about 6 inches short so we have a gap at the head end. That’s not a problem as we’re not that tall. I was 6’2” when we got married but nearly 48 years of getting beaten up has left me about 5” shorter than that. During the day this gap holds our sleeping pillows and the decorative pillows are on the bed. While sleeping, the decorative pillows are in the gap and the sleepers are under my head. We are using queen sheets according to my decorator. On the top is a coverlet which my seamstress altered to fit the cut off corner and the square corner. When you come to the Mississippi you’re welcome to look it over and “try it out”. We’re getting ready to go out shortly so I’ll take a couple pictures for you when we get it made tomorrow. Plenty of support for my more than ample carcass.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Dave, would love to see it!
Old 04-20-2018, 03:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the dinette cushions on our 2014 E21 are like 3.9" thick. and yeah, way too hard to be comfortable for my 63 year old overweight bod, never mind my wife.

the queen front bed on the E21 looks to be about an 8" thick mattress, but its made up right now, and I didn't strip it to measure it, I just guessed... Knowing my wife she put a pillowtop on it (which are really too soft for me, but I tolerate in the name of love....). that stock queen mattress is a /very/ comfortable bed, as I know we didn't have a pillowtop on it when we slept on it 3 nights while cannonballing from dallas to reno to santa cruz... but its an odd shape queen, there's an angle sliced out of it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the queen front bed on the E21 looks to be about an 8" thick mattress, but its made up right now, and I didn't strip it to measure it,
This is in the specifications for the 21'
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #10

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your comments. They are all great suggestions.
I am used to sleeping on the ground, in a tent, so I don't foresee any problems sleeping on a "hard" mattress. A step up for me...
Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #11

Iowa Dave:
So, how does one "trim" a mattress?
Or is the Casper "trimmable"?
Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt View Post
Iowa Dave:
So, how does one "trim" a mattress?
Or is the Casper "trimmable"?
The Casper, or most other foam mattresses, can be trimmed. After removing the cover, the easiest way I've found was to use an electric carving knife. If you don't have one of those handy, any long straight knife, like a bread slicer, will do.

If you want to get uber fancy, you can even modify the cover to fit the cut down mattress better.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #13

rbryan4, that makes total sense.
thanks.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Confirm the electric knife. Cuts the foam mattress like butter and then you have it for the Turkey. $11 at Wally if you don’t have one. Goodwill probably has a million of them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote