DIY Foam Insulation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
DIY Foam Insulation

I'm wondering about applying spray foam to the undercarriage as a do it yourself project. This would protect and insulate the tanks and insulate the floor. Has anyone gone this route and what are the disadvantages? Just thinking out loud.

Harris
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
I'm wondering about applying spray foam to the undercarriage as a do it yourself project. This would protect and insulate the tanks and insulate the floor. Has anyone gone this route and what are the disadvantages? Just thinking out loud.

Harris
Harris, I did a large 2 part spray foam application in our attic. More and more places now handle the materials as it becomes more popular. The modern 2 part foam is supposed to be non-outgassing when cured, but it is very nasty to work with in the application process.

I can speak from experience that it is VERY hard to do overhead with any consistence of coverage. Also, you very much need protective gear, tyvek coveralls as you will be coated with it and a very good organic vapor mask and tight goggles. Pros use full face masks with piped in air supplies. One of the components in the liquid foam is attracted to moisture and will coat the outer layer of eyeballs -- and again I can speak from experience! I spent 2 days with cloudy vision after the attic process and I was wearing goggles, but I knocked them off a couple of times.

My recommendation would be that it can indeed be done DIY, but if it were me, I would look for a professional to do it for me.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have used the spray foam system lots, usually the Froth Pacs fro Dow Corning. They offer all sizes up to ones you need to truck mount. The ones we use cover 620 board feet, and look like two 20lb propane bottles. A set of these bottles costs me about $800, and comes with a set of hoses, a gun, and a bunch of tips. For reference, one board foot is equal to 12"x12"x1". So doing 16'x6'x4", would be 380 bf, so a smaller set of cannisters could be used.

Eric is right that getting it even is an acquired talent. For something like this, I think even I would have someone do it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post

Harris
You do realize that is an option offered by ETI where the entire undercarriage is encased with foam for warmth and protection of the tanks in the winter. They then spray it all black. I think it costs $500, had it done on both of mine and would repeat.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You do realize that is an option offered by ETI where the entire undercarriage is encased with foam for warmth and protection of the tanks in the winter. They then spray it all black. I think it costs $500, had it done on both of mine and would repeat.
I thought it might be cheaper and easier to do it myself. I see now it would be more expensive, dangerous and foolish to do it. Just goes to show you how valuable and informative this forum is. Thanks for the input.

Harris
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote