Dometic 6.7 cf fridge performance - Page 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #201
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
On the 21 there is only one side vent, located below the belt line, about 12-18". This part of the trailer is inclined downward vs the top half which is inclined upward. Thus direct sun would have to occur in late evening which would seem to not be the hottest part of the day.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #202

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
My thinking is:
If the refrigerator vents are in direct, unshaded sun weather they are on the roof or on the side of the trailer they get hot. If the vents draw in outside air they will be drawing in hot outside air. Shaded vents are cooler and would draw in cooler air.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #203

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I am curious about just how much of a difference that makes. Even white plastic lower vents? Are you in a position to test that theory J Mac? My refrigerator side is parked in the shade.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #204

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Are people really concerned about sunlight coming in the openings in the vent and directly heating the refrigerator components? I assumed that the concern with sun exposure is that the wall of the trailer exposed to the sun would heat up, indirectly heating the entire compartment at the back of the refrigerator and the air around the trailer, reducing the system's cooling ability.

If indirect heating is the concern, the colour, shape, size, orientation, or position of the vents is not important.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #205

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Good work cpacharley2008, I'm glad the fans are making a difference. I still wonder if the refrigerators temperature would be effected by direct sun on the drivers side refrigerator access panels.
I'm sure it would because the sun heats the chamber (sun shining directly on large, non-insulated fiberglass surfaces) where the evaporation and condensation takes place and a lot of heat I'm sure would affect that whole process. I am thinking about pulling my refrigerator out when Reace shows us how with his baffle instructions and then lining the fiberglass surfaces that the sun shines on (sides and top) with thick fiberglass insulation. If I use the correct insulation thickness then the resulting gap between the insulation and the coils after the refrigerator is installed would be 1" (this is what the factory recommends to direct airflow where it is needed.) I would also replace the two noisy fans there with high volume quiet fans, switched inside, maybe on top. I would also install four thermocouples; 2 on the coils (top and bottom) and 2 in the air stream (top and bottom) of the chamber with a digital temperature display inside the trailer so I can monitor what is going on at any time in that mysterious place...
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #206

Trailer: Escape
Hotfishtacos
The best and most logical strategy proposed yet. If Reace has found the new baffle strategy ineffective, will the procedure be posted? The fridge R&R procedure would be helpful. Creating a good thermal vent with or without fans seems like the most effective approach. Absorption cooling is still limited by ambient air temperatures.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #207

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Hotfishtacos
The best and most logical strategy proposed yet. If Reace has found the new baffle strategy ineffective, will the procedure be posted? The fridge R&R procedure would be helpful. Creating a good thermal vent with or without fans seems like the most effective approach. Absorption cooling is still limited by ambient air temperatures.
Absorption cooling is limited by ambient temps to be sure, but I suspect that Domestic has released some inferior fridges with these latest designs. Many of the "older" absorption fridges would turn into a block of solid ice if turned all the way up, and had no problem running ice cold in southern climates.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #208

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Hi Robert,
I wonder why RV refrigerators have no fins on the cooling coils?
Wouldn't that improve the temperature exchange?
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Hi Robert,
I wonder why RV refrigerators have no fins on the cooling coils?
Wouldn't that improve the temperature exchange?
Except the condenser fins extend into the fridge, not outside as in conventional compressor cooling. Here's a simple diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg absorption_system.jpg (89.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #210

Or a more complex one from Dometic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg absorption-chiller-diagram-image-01.jpg (71.2 KB, 21 views)