Dometic 6.7 cf fridge performance - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, are you guys thinking that the roy vent is somehow causing the refer to blow out or it keeps the refer from properly exhausting the heat?
That's what I'm suggesting, with no proof of any kind. I feel like we finally have the fridge working reasonably well when parked, and can't help but think that airflow around the vent(s), either top or bottom, is diminishing the natural convection (aided by whatever fans and such are running).
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #122

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
[QUOTE=Donna D.;58631 So much doesn't need to be refrigerated... just kept "cool." If it's NOT under refrigeration when you buy it... it doesn't need to be kept COLD... just "cool."[/QUOTE]

Donna D, we BCers now know you didn't stop at a Government Liqueur Store durning your short stay in Canada. Warm beer and wine on the shelves.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #123
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Exactly J Mac! For some reason, a lot of trailer trailer folks (all of a sudden) seem to think EVERYTHING needs to be in the refrigerator. Pay ATTENTION to the store where you buy... Even Unopened MAYO doesn't need to be refrigerated, nor tomatoes, or potatoes... etc., etc., etc. Dairy and fresh meats... YEP
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #124

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Took my trailer to a service center to have fridge checked out. LP pressure was at 9.5" WC, they changed it to 11" WC. Now getting temperatures under 40 degrees F in the fridge, on propane.
I'm glad you found that and had it corrected. Fixing the gas pressure had the greatest positive impact on my refrigerator performance since I run 99% of the time on propane.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #125
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Does anyone have pictures of this "Texas Fan" option installed? I've scoured this forum and Google Images and just can not find one.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #126

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
AND the same in MILLION DOLLAR + mohos. Just check out RV.net and IRV2.com

EVERYONE complains, it's not about the manufacturer of the trailer, truly. But, everyone expects perfection running on propane or solar. You don't like it? Stay home, purchase a "compressor" frig... like is in your home! And, y'all wonder why folks stay in "RV Resorts" where they're HOOKED UP to power.
In some cases, it is about the RV manufacturer, due to improper venting arrangements. In general, I agree that absorption refrigerator problems are due to the appliance, and the fundamental design is the same in all sizes and styles.

Not everyone expects perfection from an absorption unit, which is why many of those big RVs do come with home-style compressor-based refrigerators... right from the RV factory. And yes, that means being in a serviced site, or running a generator all the time, or having a big solar and/or battery installation... none of which would be acceptable to many Escape owners. A low-power compressor refrigerator made for mobile use, on the other hand, may be a valid option for Escape owners wanting to avoid absorption refrigerator issues.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Does anyone have pictures of this "Texas Fan" option installed? I've scoured this forum and Google Images and just can not find one.
Here is some info on the "Texas Fan" option. BTW, that option is really called the "Dometic Ventilation Set", part# 9105900007. Here are some helpful links;

....see page 88

https://www.dometic.com/b7342c38-3e4...8ae83680.fodoc

....This is a link to the actual fans for sale (sold and installed in pairs)

Thermostat Controlled 12volt Dometic Ventilation Set

....here is a really interesting link

http://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-add...-P3261872.aspx

Steve
Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #128
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Here is some info on the "Texas Fan" option. BTW, that option is really called the "Dometic Ventilation Set", part# 9105900007. Here are some helpful links;

....see page 88

https://www.dometic.com/b7342c38-3e4...8ae83680.fodoc

....This is a link to the actual fans for sale (sold and installed in pairs)

Thermostat Controlled 12volt Dometic Ventilation Set

....here is a really interesting link

Dometic add-on Frame Fan bracket, kit 2 fans, switch, & wiring - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

Steve
Steve, thanks much. So it's 2 or3 12V fans with a thermostat and mounting bracket for $135. That's a bit steep. I think I'll work on a plenum surround for the fins with one fan on top - when I get my trailer!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #129

Charlie, I have the 4.3 unit and it came with two fans installed by Escape that was standard equipment, not an option. It had a thermostat buried in the top condenser coils that turned on the fans. I bypassed the thermostat on mine and put it on a switch inside so I can turn them on anytime I want. Personally I've tested them during hot weather and never measured any functional benefit from them in my trailer. They are also a little noisy.

I also think the top exhaust vent is where to pull that air out. Make sure you get the vent setup Reace was referring to so that the air gets directed properly. Let us know what you eventually do and how it works out.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #130

Charlie, I'm thinking that two or three of the fans like I put inside the refrigerator would be great installed up in the exhaust vent. Those fans are real quiet, pull a lot of air and two of them only pull .1 amps....hmmmm?!!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #131

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Took my trailer to a service center to have fridge checked out. LP pressure was at 9.5" WC, they changed it to 11" WC. Now getting temperatures under 40 degrees F in the fridge, on propane.
Is there a list someplace of qualified Dometic service centers and how expensive was the increase in pressure? I'd like to get mine checked...
Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #132
Commercial Member

Quote:
Charlie, I'm thinking that two or three of the fans like I put inside the refrigerator would be great installed up in the exhaust vent. Those fans are real quiet, pull a lot of air and two of them only pull .1 amps....hmmmm?!!
My thoughts also. Definitely would make for a good Widget Works product. I'll be at ETI next week and have a chance to investigate the mounting options. A shroud/plenum to direct the fan suck across the fins should be pretty simple to vacuum form - the trick will be in the mounting.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #133

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is there a list someplace of qualified Dometic service centers and how expensive was the increase in pressure? I'd like to get mine checked...
I found a nearby service center using a section on the Dometic website. When I initially called the shop to explain my situation, and ask if there is a charge to inspect my fridge, they quoted me $50.

Final charge was $50 + tax ( which is half of an hour's rate for them). They had the trailer for 4 days, tested it on propane and 120V, and the fellow made several phone calls to Dometic as well.

Some forum members made their own device to test the gas pressure, if you're up for that.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #134

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Charlie, I have the 4.3 unit and it came with two fans installed by Escape that was standard equipment, not an option. It had a thermostat buried in the top condenser coils that turned on the fans. I bypassed the thermostat on mine and put it on a switch inside so I can turn them on anytime I want. Personally I've tested them during hot weather and never measured any functional benefit from them in my trailer. They are also a little noisy.

I also think the top exhaust vent is where to pull that air out. Make sure you get the vent setup Reace was referring to so that the air gets directed properly. Let us know what you eventually do and how it works out.
Steve

Where did you find the thermostat? I have the same fridge with factory fan that never comes on and can not locate the thermostat.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Steve

Where did you find the thermostat? I have the same fridge with factory fan that never comes on and can not locate the thermostat.

Thanks
The non-adjustable thermostat is attached to a small bracket which is attached to the upper coils behind the refrigerator. It is very hard to see. I had to use mirrors to look up from the lower vent. It may be more visible if you remove the upper vent cover.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #136

Steve,
Sounds like from Reaces post we will all be working on our frigs baffles soon. The fans you got from escape sound like the Texas fan option. Have you looked in your outside vent (lower) to see if you have a fan there? A lot of us have them, mine has never come on, and I'm sure it has gotten hot enough in New Mexico. I removed my upper vent cover this am and didn't have any more fans in there......oh well. Do you have a piece of plywood in your lower vent area going up at an angle from the top of the opening?
FYI the upper vent has a non-removal screen under the cover. My screws were starting to rust and 2 of the hole plugs were missing.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #137

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Dave1,
Perhaps you have an on/off switch that ETI installed that is currently in the off position. Mine is behind the lower vent mounted on the left side.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Dave1,
Perhaps you have an on/off switch that ETI installed that is currently in the off position. Mine is behind the lower vent mounted on the left side.
David,

I looked didn't see any switch. This fan is part of the 4.3 frig and listed in the parts sheet. I didn't know about the Texas fan option when ordering. I did see what might be a thermostat in the fins when I looked from above this am. Maybe it's never been hot enough........yeah right!
Thanks for the suggestion

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Steve,
Sounds like from Reaces post we will all be working on our frigs baffles soon. The fans you got from escape sound like the Texas fan option. Have you looked in your outside vent (lower) to see if you have a fan there? A lot of us have them, mine has never come on, and I'm sure it has gotten hot enough in New Mexico. I removed my upper vent cover this am and didn't have any more fans in there......oh well. Do you have a piece of plywood in your lower vent area going up at an angle from the top of the opening?
FYI the upper vent has a non-removal screen under the cover. My screws were starting to rust and 2 of the hole plugs were missing.

Dave
Hi Dave! My fans never turned on either which is why I started investigating. I did see two fans mounted to the back of the refrigerator when I looked, tied to the non-adjustable thermostat. The baffle I made from "Reflectix" bent to direct the air through the refrigerator coils as it goes up the backside of the unit. I'm interested to see what Reace proposes and think some insulation on the inside fiberglass would help. I removed the plywood piece that was there from the factory.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #140
Commercial Member

Not real sure I'd want Reflectix in the burner area unless it was mounted well. It is flammable plastic..................

www.RVWidgetWorks.com