Dometic 6.7 Cu. Ft. Fridge strategy for new trailer orders - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
re: "...anybody else want to go first..."

But, my brief foray then suffered cold feet when it came time to cut wires for the tap-in. Red, white, black, blue---wires. ?? I don't know. Got to wait for my courage to return.
If you go to the Dometic website, download the installation manual for the RM8555; the electrical schematic is on page 22

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape
Jubal,
I do not think the fridge fix fans are blowing up, they are blowing out the rear and then down across the refer fins.[/QUOTE]

The main problem is the thermal chimney that moves ambient air across the heat exchanger on the backside or outside of the refer via the vent.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:

Not me. You go first, I'll watch. I like the idea of adding a little computer fan inside to assist cold air circulation. I have one that would work. Took apart the door light switch to investigate a potential power source. Uncovered a tiny -um- I think 4 wire connector supplying power to the door light. This looks like a good place to tap in. By the way that blue plastic shroud was really hard to snap out. Feeling very lucky I didn't break it.

But, my brief foray then suffered cold feet when it came time to cut wires for the tap-in. Red, white, black, blue---wires. ?? I don't know. Got to wait for my courage to return.
Myron,

You may find it easier to feed a wire thru the drain hole in back of frig and connect to 12v in the outside area.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... AZJack has already done the drillin' thing. Send him a PM. and I'm sure he'll explain!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Jubal,
I do not think the fridge fix fans are blowing up, they are blowing out the rear and then down across the refer fins.
The main problem is the thermal chimney that moves ambient air across the heat exchanger on the backside or outside of the refer via the vent.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I thought and answered re: interior fans, not the exterior fans.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #26

Myron,
The Dometic download is on the forum here under files
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If someone tries the hole drilling idea, you can plug the holes after if you're careful selecting the hole size.

rubber Plugs or plug- line or hole plug
Attached Thumbnails
Plugs2.jpg  
Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #28

I'm having trouble finding the right manual now, the one the files isn't it and there must be 6 different Dometic 8555 manuals. Charlie, can you provide a link?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
>Does modifying your refrigerator void your warranty?
>The recommended refrigerator temperature is a maximum of 40 degrees F. Some of us may never have ideal fridge temps under the conditions we are try to camp or travel in.
>Dave MacRae, I can't speak for everyone down here, but we use our Escape year round. Going to cooler regions when it's hot and camping close to local lakes, rivers, and the third coast during other warm months.
>I own and use a high performance ice chest with a full 3" of foam insulation top to bottom to alleviate my 5cf's poor performance when needed.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I was just getting the sense that some of our southern friends perhaps don't get that up here in the northern part of the continent do get some heat , in certain areas. all be it for a short part of the year
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I took the freezer portion out on my 4.3 for a couple of trips and it definitely makes the refrigerator portion colder. I like having a freezer so I keep it in now. I surely would not make any holes in the freezer section. You could accomplish the same thing by propping the freezer door door open an 1/8" or 1/4' with a couple of stick-on rubber feet or something like that. Like Jim said, maybe a small fan also in the freezer will encourage it to vent a little.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #32

Quote:

Not me. You go first, I'll watch. I like the idea of adding a little computer fan inside to assist cold air circulation. I have one that would work. Took apart the door light switch to investigate a potential power source. Uncovered a tiny -um- I think 4 wire connector supplying power to the door light. This looks like a good place to tap in. By the way that blue plastic shroud was really hard to snap out. Feeling very lucky I didn't break it.

Myron, the wiring on mine on the connector from top to bottom is purple, red, black, white. I tied into the white lead circuit inside the housing and soldered to the bottom of the circuit board on the appropriate power transistor terminal lead. Just remove the LED board to get access to the terminal. No need to cut any wires. This seemed like the easiest connection point to solder to...then ran through the microswitch and out the red lead to the back. I installed 2 fans of my own. Your unit has an on/off switch so you can just solder in a lead wire. He is a picture of my setup.

Steve
Old 07-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's a plan, Jim, but I did not see any power wires up there around the freezer I could tap into. Helpful suggestions most appreciated. I must get back in there and look around more. I get real nervous when poking around these delicate things. Not sure of myself at this point, but true this has not always stopped me. Got to give more study. Soldering circuit boards-?--(gulp)!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Sure, that's a plan, but I did not see any power wires up there around the freezer I could tap into.
This is the only power source needed.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Manuals from the Dometic site:

Operation: http://www.dometicmanuals.com/PROD/M...257471003359E1

Installation: http://www.dometicmanuals.com/PROD/M...2573ED005AC289
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #36

What is our model #, the reference materials have 3 different "8555" models- a RM 8555, RM(S)8555 and a RM(L)8555 ?? We are having a severe storm right now or else I'd get the info myself.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 19'
Dometic uses an ANSI standard which says fridge is to be 43 degrees or less at 90 degrees F. (after 12 hours). Seems inconsistent with the "standard" of keeping food at 40 F or less.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is our model #, the reference materials have 3 different "8555" models- a RM 8555, RM(S)8555 and a RM(L)8555 ?? We are having a severe storm right now or else I'd get the info myself.
The manual has the info - the S means "stepped" - modified bottom for wheel wells. The L means "large." No letter means "small" (well it really means not large.)

RML8555 is the ETI large fridge. I *think* the ETI small fridge is RM8555.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim, look in the manuals that were attached to this thread. The model description page in near the front and answers all your questions.

Steve
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Dometic uses an ANSI standard which says fridge is to be 43 degrees or less at 90 degrees F. (after 12 hours). Seems inconsistent with the "standard" of keeping food at 40 F or less.
Just curious - what standard references 40F?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote