Dometic 6.7 Cu. Ft. Fridge strategy for new trailer orders - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Dometic 6.7 Cu. Ft. Fridge strategy for new trailer orders

Rather than muddy the existing forum thread on the Dometic 6.7 fridge's performance, here's a new thread for folks like us who have a trailer with the big fridge on order and have not yet finalized our build list.

Through Kim, I've learned that that Escape will continue to install the same unit for the foreseeable future, at least up to our due date in mid-September. That leaves us with these options:

1. Do nothing now, and retrofit the US$70 Fridge Fix internal fan if the fridge's performance doesn't meet our needs (see cpaharley2008's thread);

2. Pay $125 for Escape's Texas Fan option in our build, then retrofit the Fridge Fix if needed.

Am I over-thinking this for someone who will be camping mainly in temperate weather, spring and fall?

I'm told the freezer unit can be removed to make more room for food that just need to be cooled. Is the fridge's performance adequate in hot weather if no food needs to be kept frozen?

Do most of these fridge units cool adequately without extra fans?

What are other folks with trailers on order planning to do?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hello Courtney couple...in the same boat. Did Kim say whether ETI would install the Fridge Fix? $?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
We are in the same boat with a completion date of October 17. We have the Texas fan on our build sheet. I'm looking forward to hearing results from anyone with a Texas fan. Does it seem to help? Was it installed during the build or was it added later?

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We don't do summer either. Just got mine, had the Texas Fan option added as it'd be a pain to do it later. I'll hold off on the Fridge Fix till

1. I see if it works for those who lined up to try it.
2. I'll see if I even need it.

Been playing with the empty fridge with the temps in the low 90's, with the afternoon sun on the fridge side of the trailer both freezer and fridge hold temp fine, so far. Freezer 5-8, fridge 42-47, set to mid point. Deb wants to see if it'll do 2 and 34, lower it goes.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Bob,
Be sure to let us know your results. There are apparently several needing to know.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 E21
You'll note that Mike Bakker said that he will be developing a model designed from the ground up for the Dometic 8551/5 model. That may argue for waiting until that's available. (However, we're not waiting.) The Texas Fan option is something that many (most?) of the dirty dozen or so who have ordered the prototype already have. So having both seems to be thought worthwhile.

Also, my understanding is that the Texas fan is located behind the unit. That argues for ordering it from ETI as part of the original build.

And although you plan to travel only in clement climes, hot days can still occur and/or you might want to travel further afield.

FWIW.

Glenn
Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We have the 6.7 in our 19 ft, it doesn't have a texas fan, we have used one of those little battery operated fans to help it out a bit. It has only been a real issue with poor performance while in Montana the first summer and it was between 35-40 celciuis out side. If the ambient temps are below 30 C it cools ok with the little fan inside that always seems to fall out when I open the door. As we do from time to time travel in areas where its above 30 C which I think is some where around 90 F. We are getting the texas fan option in the new 21 ft and I would love to do away with that stupid little battery fan. I suspect performance of this fridge with the fridge fix fan would be very good in most temperatures. It would seem that most rv fridges have these type of issues . I don't personally think this a problem exclusive to Escape or Dometic
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
The boat is getting crowded!

We are in the same boat as the rest of you since we pick up our 21 on 9/25. Our build sheet was final on 7/1, and overall we haven't had any problems with the fridge in our 17b, so here's our strategy for now:

1) We included the Texas Fan option on the order. It just seemed easier, and apparently has a thermostatically controlled fan, which should help out in warmer temps.

2) We have a blue battery operated fan to circulate air in the fridge. It may or may not be sufficient with a larger fridge, but it is a "sunk cost" (not that there was much cost to sink)

3) If we find the fridge to be too warm, we will go ahead and order a Fridge Fix solution. That will probably be next summer, and maybe there will be a more standard Fridge Fix by then.

if enough of us are unhappy with our refrigerators, we can probably put together enough folks for another limited production run of the fridge fix.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I don't have a trailer with a 6.7 on order but IMHO most of you are worrying for no reason. This issue may be blown out of proportion and have you concerned. Only a forum wide survey would give us a real world indication. Unless you live in the deep south and summer camp, your 6.7 is likely to perform just fine. On my recent trip to the great lakes region, my 5 cf cooled just fine. It was only when we arrived back into the heat & humidity of this region, that we needed our fans and ice chest. I believe ETI started adding the "Texas fan" as an option after a number of Escapes were sold to owners in Texas. Thus the fan option was coined.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Not worrying, just planning. Once wifey retires we are likely to go anywhere anytime. Old Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #11

It seems that many folks in south seem to not camp as much during the extreme heat almost like we don't camp in the winter. We have to camp in the summer , no choice. There are many areas that see temps in the mid 30's C, which in our experience push's the 6.7 beyond its limits. So I think its fair to say some of these added measures are needed to get optimal performance out of our fridges and keep our food from spoiling.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have the 5.0 cu. ft. Dometic in my 17B.
Bought a Bios indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer today and I plan to monitor it over the next week.
We'll be camping at Merritt with temps around 34 C. Today, here at home it was 23 C.
I have had the fridge plugged in to AC since yesterday. We will travel with it turned off for 4+ hours and then switch to propane at camp.
Plan to record "indoor" ( the trailer ) and "outdoor" ( the fridge ) over the next few days and will report.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
We live in the San Diego area and it gets very hot during the summer if you go inland very far. We want to camp all year so when it is hot we go to the coast or to higher elevations in the mountains...and every little improvement of refrigerator performance is worth it. Our refrigerator works much better after all the little tweaks we've made but we are always looking for a little bit better performance...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
ALL of the older Dometic fridges I had worked fine in warm weather, but the 6.7 does not. (And I give no weight to comments to the contrary from folks who have a different fridge - I believe their model works.)

In 80-90 days and 60ish nights it can keep the fridge about 50 (and the freezer cold) on setting 5 with the TX fan and a small battery fan inside it. Same results on 110 and propane.

Days in the upper 70s, nights in the low 50s it can keep the fridge at 40.

Since the freezer almost always keeps below 10 I believe removing the freezer separator would keep the fridge much cooler.

If the new fan does not improve things significantly I will remove the freezer permanently.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
ALL of the older Dometic fridges I had worked fine in warm weather, but the 6.7 does not. (And I give no weight to comments to the contrary from folks who have a different fridge - I believe their model works.)

In 80-90 days and 60ish nights it can keep the fridge about 50 (and the freezer cold) on setting 5 with the TX fan and a small battery fan inside it. Same results on 110 and propane.

Days in the upper 70s, nights in the low 50s it can keep the fridge at 40.

Since the freezer almost always keeps below 10 I believe removing the freezer separator would keep the fridge much cooler.

If the new fan does not improve things significantly I will remove the freezer permanently.
How about drilling a couple of holes in the removable part and see if it helps by allowing some of the colder air from the freezer drop down into the refer portion. If not you could always plug the holes. I'd try 2-3 x1" holes drilled along the bottom rear, maybe 1" in from the edge to experiment. I may do this once the fan is installed and see what the impact is on both the freezer and refer with the holes drilled. In no impact I'll replug the holes.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How about drilling a couple of holes in the removable part and see if it helps by allowing some of the colder air from the freezer drop down into the refer portion. If not you could always plug the holes. I'd try 2-3 x1" holes drilled along the bottom rear, maybe 1" in from the edge to experiment. I may do this once the fan is installed and see what the impact is on both the freezer and refer with the holes drilled. In no impact I'll replug the holes.
Excellent idea. I don't like drilling holes in new stuff - but I don't like inadequately designed stuff either. Anybody else want to go first?

List - for after we get back
1) Try new fan (if that is enough - GREAT)
2) Try with freezer out (to verify the system has the capacity)
3) Try holes in freezer (to have a working fridge and freezer)
(If I am first I'll probably start with 2 smaller holes and work my way up.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #17

We have never taken the freezer out on ours. Its one of the things we really like is the size of it when on the road for a bit. I guess I am hopeful that with this fridge fix fan that all will be good.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape
If you have fan in the fridge blowing up, I don't believe that drilling holes in the bottom of the freezer compartment will help cooling. Removing the freezer compartment helps cooling the fridge by approx. 7 degrees (4.3 refer). The main problem with absorption refers is the lack of air movement across the heat exchanger on the outside of the refer. Fans that blow up across the heat exchanger or at the top of the refer vents seems like a better strategy. Still, we cannot overcome ambient air temps or the physical limitations of the absorption type of refrigeration.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: "...anybody else want to go first..."

Not me. You go first, I'll watch. I like the idea of adding a little computer fan inside to assist cold air circulation. I have one that would work. Took apart the door light switch to investigate a potential power source. Uncovered a tiny -um- I think 4 wire connector supplying power to the door light. This looks like a good place to tap in. By the way that blue plastic shroud was really hard to snap out. Feeling very lucky I didn't break it.

But, my brief foray then suffered cold feet when it came time to cut wires for the tap-in. Red, white, black, blue---wires. ?? I don't know. Got to wait for my courage to return.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe the best solution is to install a single computer fan on the bottom of the freezer floor inside the refer and pull air down from the freezer into the refer section thru a round 2" hole?

Jubal,
I do not think the fridge fix fans are blowing up, they are blowing out the rear and then down across the refer fins.