Dometic E9500 Awning and Rain - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #41

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Seems to me that the older style manually retracted awnings with the side arms were much more reliable than the newer style automatic retracting "armless" awnings. On my older style awning, I can set up the awning so that it is fully or partially extended, with the sides level or with one side of my choosing higher or lower than the other side. This allows me to choose how and where the collected rain water flows off of the awning and to which end of the awning it discharges/dumps to the ground. I can decide based on which way the ground around the trailer slopes, where I want the awning to dump. I don't need to be concerned about whether or not the awning will dump itself or whether when it does dump, it will leave a pool of water on the ground where I do not want it to be. The armless feature is nice in theory, but to me, the newer awnings are kind of a step backwards.

I'm with you. I love my manual awning and can deploy and retract in minutes. Never had to go out and retract in my underwear so far. Simpler the better in my books. But I agree with another poster, I would never leave my campsite with the awning deployed.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
as for the 2 year warranty ...in the other thread a battery ain't worth a lawyer, but a $1k awning might be..if needed..hopefully not.
Planning on suing before you have even purchased a trailer? That sure sounds like the start of a very positive relationship with ETI!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #43

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Now that I'm older and wiser, I retract the awning to about 2' at night and if I go anywhere, just enough to keep a folded lawn chair dry.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:09 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Now that I'm older and wiser, I retract the awning to about 2' at night and if I go anywhere, just enough to keep a folded lawn chair dry.
That is what we do, so far it is working.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Planning on suing before you have even purchased a trailer? That sure sounds like the start of a very positive relationship with ETI!
Haven't you heard, it's the American way!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:04 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Seems to me that the older style manually retracted awnings with the side arms were much more reliable than the newer style automatic retracting "armless" awnings.
It is not a matter of reliability, but more about what each can do.

Pros of the old style:
- can handle heavy rain better, with ability to tilt the leading edge
- can hang shades from it to block sun from the sides
- a bit cheaper to buy
- does not use battery power (not a big deal with solar though)

Pros of the new style:
- easy deployment and retraction
- automatically retracts when the wind picks up, no going outside in your underwear in the middle of the night.
- it looks way cool, love not having the big arms mounted to the side of the trailer
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #47

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
wind and rain

We got some rain the other day and we came back to water pooled in middle of awning ..We emptied it out and retracted the awning a few times .It seems one side is lower then other ?( The retract option did not work at all .) I guess just leave it so rain will fall off? I will have to reread awning literature to figure out all the quirks of these new awnings . I also shook the awning to simulate some wind no luck .

We always turn water off and retract awning everytime we are leaving for more then a few minutes . Jim from Naples
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #48

There are replaceable batteries in the box located on the awning front rail. Not sure if both the rain and wind sensors are in the same box.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Never was thinking of rain issues when I looked at the new awning cause we don't have much of it. The problem for us in sun climates is providing shade in the winter months. With no ability to change the slope and the tilt to provide shade the new awning just wouldn't work for us here. I can't remember the last time I deployed our awning straight out and back in, it is always sloped down with a good tilt on one end.
I guess if you have the new awning you'll have to pay very close attention to pick a campsite that is pointed the right direction so the angle of the sun will be on the drivers side of the trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #50

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We got some rain the other day and we came back to water pooled in middle of awning ..We emptied it out and retracted the awning a few times .It seems one side is lower then other ?( The retract option did not work at all .) I guess just leave it so rain will fall off? I will have to reread awning literature to figure out all the quirks of these new awnings . I also shook the awning to simulate some wind no luck .

We always turn water off and retract awning everytime we are leaving for more then a few minutes . Jim from Naples
The wind sensor on ours was set between 3 and 4 from the factory and never activated when we had wind blow the awing over the roof of the trailer either. The manual says they set it at 1. The person who repaired our awning set it between 1 and 2 and said that will activate if it raises up and down more than 6 or 7 inches. It takes movement 3 times in a row before the awning will start to retract though no matter what you set it at.

If you want to check the setting extend the awning about 1 to 2 feet. Turn off the awning power switch. There is a white box in the middle of the front part of the awning. Grab it and pull to towards you if you are standing in the doorway and it will come off. Stick a knife in the little indent and the back will open. There is a little dial on the circuit board you can change. Small numbers are more sensitive.
While you are at it change the 2 batteries. Pay attention to the polarity not the fact that there are two springs on the same side.
Then reverse the steps and try your new setting to see if it is better.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are replaceable batteries in the box located on the awning front rail. Not sure if both the rain and wind sensors are in the same box.
There is no rain sensor. I asked when I was having our awning fixed and was told the awning is supposed to collect a small amount and the weight will lower one side and dump it. But he would not trust it if he owned the awning.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Never was thinking of rain issues when I looked at the new awning cause we don't have much of it. The problem for us in sun climates is providing shade in the winter months. With no ability to change the slope and the tilt to provide shade the new awning just wouldn't work for us here. I can't remember the last time I deployed our awning straight out and back in, it is always sloped down with a good tilt on one end.
I guess if you have the new awning you'll have to pay very close attention to pick a campsite that is pointed the right direction so the angle of the sun will be on the drivers side of the trailer.
If I recall my old awning, if it was sloped down with a tilt then the door would hit the awning? To prevent such, you had to keep it more or less horizontal perhaps with a 1 foot slope at the max off level? I agree it does not slope as much as the manual, but the manual is limited by the door.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #53

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The wind sensor on ours was set between 3 and 4 from the factory and never activated when we had wind blow the awing over the roof of the trailer either. The manual says they set it at 1. The person who repaired our awning set it between 1 and 2 and said that will activate if it raises up and down more than 6 or 7 inches. It takes movement 3 times in a row before the awning will start to retract though no matter what you set it at.

If you want to check the setting extend the awning about 1 to 2 feet. Turn off the awning power switch. There is a white box in the middle of the front part of the awning. Grab it and pull to towards you if you are standing in the doorway and it will come off. Stick a knife in the little indent and the back will open. There is a little dial on the circuit board you can change. Small numbers are more sensitive.
While you are at it change the 2 batteries. Pay attention to the polarity not the fact that there are two springs on the same side.
Then reverse the steps and try your new setting to see if it is better.
great info....
Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Never thought of this. The awning was the big change that looks really good to me. Of course, we just about never use the old one. Too much trouble to put up for the limited time we could use it. So in our case, we might use the newer awning more. But only having the straight out position, that is one main consideration for some.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #55

Trailer: 17
I wondered how it was going blhvet,
Keep us posted on the outcome or progress you make.

" We're currently "in discussion" but they've pretty much told me it won't be covered under warranty.
If not, I'll be contacting Escape again. I feel misled by the information o was given."
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Has anyone adjusted the factory 5 degree pitch on the 9500 electric? According to the link below you can adjust it to 15 degree pitch (if it will clear the door when extended) which should solve all rain pooling concerns?

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ass...inginstall.pdf
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #57

After much use of the awning this year including rain storms I found out that by retracting the awning at least halfway allows the support arms to support the middle and allows the rain to disperse. I think any adjustment of the pitch could cause clearance issues with the door so I'm happy with mine just the way it came from Escape.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #58

Quote:
After much use of the awning this year including rain storms I found out that by retracting the awning at least halfway allows the support arms to support the middle and allows the rain to disperse. I think any adjustment of the pitch could cause clearance issues with the door so I'm happy with mine just the way it came from Escape.
We do about the same, I do only extend it around four foot if the rain is heavy . It acts as a porch and keeps the rain out. Wind though it goes in, not going to repeat that experience.
We figured a way to clean the leaves and twigs off before retracting. CamperWorld has a small leaf blower that right now is on sale. We picked one up and I can stand on the rear bumper or the front storage box and blow the debris off. It would even blow small rocks off for that unlucky person who retracted and it punched holes in the awning. Best part is it's small so I can store it.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #59

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
You do realize that these awnings are designed for shade, not water protection and any damage from use in rainy weather is at you own risk. If leaving and rain is predicted, I retract, if staying I'll extend but not all the way, same rules for both manual and automatic awnings.
Pretty expensive for just shade.
Any stick build trailer in a similar size has an awning designed to work for rain and sun.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #60

I have had 2 Lance trailers and a Dutchman, and the instructions for the 3 awnings tell you to not to operate in rain and windy situations and that the warranty does not cover damage from such use. Here is a disclaimer found in most owners manuals:
Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from the
sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning.