Dometic RM2354 - milk spill aftermath - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17A
Dometic RM2354 - milk spill aftermath

Hi Folks,

I am dealing with the aftermath of a substantial milk spill. Though I've used pretty much every trick and resource I know, I've still got two problems I could use some help with:

1. Milk got into the fridge door seal, and though I've tried, I cannot get every last molecule of the milk - and thus the smell - out of the seal. Can it be replaced? Or am I looking at a DIY project or door replacement?

2. It's not clear how I get behind the metal trim around the front of the fridge. Dometic's manual is not much help, and it appears the trim is bolted to the front sides of the fridge. Getting at it would require at least partially unmounting the fridge and pushing it forward to the point the sides would be accessible. Even with this, I have not been able to find any pics or videos of someone working with the RM2354, so I've been very cautious to start disconnecting stuff and removing bolts and screws.

Have any of you tackled such a project, or had a similar mishap? How did you recover, short of replacing the fridge? It seems like there's got to be an easier way for an accident that I can't imagine is all that uncommon...

Many thanks in advance, and long live The Escape!

Mike
philostechedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
with liquid behind panels sometime using the "wick" method where you just get access to a small place and using cotton or other rags wick the liquid out. Similar to the old "Zippo" lighter using cotton and a wick to bring the propellant to the burner.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Milk

Flood it with vinegar and at the same time suck it with a shop vac. Remember to remove the filters/bag before you suck!
Steve
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
with liquid behind panels sometime using the "wick" method where you just get access to a small place and using cotton or other rags wick the liquid out. Similar to the old "Zippo" lighter using cotton and a wick to bring the propellant to the burner.
I used this method for getting at what was between the door seal and the door body, but the situation is that milk got *inside* the seal, as it has vent holes every 3-4 inches. That's where milk got in. I pulled the door off, removed the trim panel, then soaked the bottom edge in a bucket of very hot water. Then I did numerous rinses, which flushed out a lot of the nastiness. However, there's still a very minor amount in there, and that's what I'm stumped on. I've considered just cutting the seal off (which appears to be glued to the door body with a very strong adhesive), and then gluing some weather stripping on to create a new seal. It would be a lot cheaper than a new door, and probably work fine.
philostechedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You could take it to an RV place and ask them about exactly how they replace them and order the correct seal to do it yourself.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, door seal, maintenance, replacement, rm2354